Futaba 8J and rechageable batteries

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I am building a F450 for a friend, and I recomended that he purchase the Futaba 8J, which he did. He is quite adamant about using 4 AA rechargeable batteries in the transmitter, as opposed to 4 alkaline batteries.. I have tried to convince him to use a rechargeable 5 battery pack that he can pick up from cheap batteries, or buy from Futaba.

My concern is that AA rechargeable batteries only put out 1.2 volts per cell. If he were to use 4 AA rechageables, the transmitter would only have 4.8 volts when fully charged. Four non rechageable AA cell are 1.5V, for a total of 6V, as is the five cell rechargeable battery pack. The margin of safety before the transmitter does not have enough electricity to work is considerably less @4.8V with the 4 AA rechargeables.

One of the reasons I recommended the Futaba was it's reputation for superior range. It seems that by only having 4.8V he is losing quite a bit of effective range.

So is my logic wrong and he is OK going with the 4 rechargeable AA's? Or does he need 6V?

kloner

Aerial DP
I bought 4 nimh loose cells and made a pcak, it chugs along at 5.4 volt and drops down to 4.7 volt then the alram goes off. I have the 2.4 part of my radio off cause i fly immersion ezuhf, but it runs for like 20 hours......... kinda a pain to recharge cause it has to be cycled, but the new chargers do it, and i just run a discharge, charge cycle and do it over night.... once a month

kloner

Aerial DP
i did too, but it made my uhf transmitters make my trims change for no reason, was an interference thing, went back to 5 volt and she stopped. Then i did like you say, put a bec inside it, plugged in a 2s pack, 2 days later it was dead from powering the bec non stop and it ate the pack from over discharge so just think about the layout if you do. It;s nice plugging in something like that and it's never a thought again.

Your suppose to get a 2 cell life, there was a link at rcg in the 8j thread to a $20 pack.....