Freefly Radian Owners' Thread

jes1111

Yep - it looks like the Radian is not completely immune to the horizon problem, but I reckon that's a better performance than I've seen from anything else. Great stuff!

Nice van, btw ;)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yep - it looks like the Radian is not completely immune to the horizon problem, but I reckon that's a better performance than I've seen from anything else. Great stuff!

Nice van, btw ;)

I still need to make a couple of adjustments to the level. I was wanting to be able to fine tune level via my TX like in the dark days of MK but this system is totally different in how it works. So I still need to set the horizontal to dead level and make a few gain settings and it will be a VERY good one man setup..... I love my van to!

Is that still just with the roll unit Dave?
IOW's is it the CX730 thats stabilizing in tilt?, looks like a good combo if thats the case.

Yep just on roll. I am well happy for what I do. My rig was not designed as a ploe cam! For dynamic flight its the dogs jobber.

Droider ok Its Great

Cheers

Dave

Kari

Here's latest test. Not really super happy for roll yet, i don't actually know what to try next. Tilt works great. Not sure but i think one main problem at the moment is vibration dampening in CS6 frame. I have already changed stiffer rubber O-rings and next step will probably be hard mounting gimbal to the frame. If radians are off footage is smooth. All suggestions what to try next are very welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mactadpole

Dave - super impressive!!

I was thinking of getting rid of my RSGS and going with Radians, partly because they could be more easily transfered to other gimbals too. But I decided against because I was under the impression that the Radian only worked in slew mode. Therefore requiring a second operator to maintain the angle of tilt with the joystick. From your setup it appears this is not the case?? Does it also work like MK stabilization where you can set the tilt on a tx dial/knob, and, for example, turn the knob to point the gimbal straight down and it will stay in that position with the Radian still doing its job of stabilization?

Sorry, I'm confused about how the Radian works and what it lets you do. For my use, I want to be able to connect whatever tilt stabilizer I use to the MK FC and have that connection set to a poti that goes to a knob on my tx (mx-20) and allows me to set the tilt angle wherever I want but the stabilizer still does its job.

Thanks, again super nice video.

anaka

Here's latest test. Not really super happy for roll yet, i don't actually know what to try next. Tilt works great. Not sure but i think one main problem at the moment is vibration dampening in CS6 frame. I have already changed stiffer rubber O-rings and next step will probably be hard mounting gimbal to the frame. If radians are off footage is smooth. All suggestions what to try next are very welcome!

Hi Kari, wich camera are you using?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave - super impressive!!

I was thinking of getting rid of my RSGS and going with Radians, partly because they could be more easily transfered to other gimbals too. But I decided against because I was under the impression that the Radian only worked in slew mode. Therefore requiring a second operator to maintain the angle of tilt with the joystick. From your setup it appears this is not the case?? Does it also work like MK stabilization where you can set the tilt on a tx dial/knob, and, for example, turn the knob to point the gimbal straight down and it will stay in that position with the Radian still doing its job of stabilization?

Sorry, I'm confused about how the Radian works and what it lets you do. For my use, I want to be able to connect whatever tilt stabilizer I use to the MK FC and have that connection set to a poti that goes to a knob on my tx (mx-20) and allows me to set the tilt angle wherever I want but the stabilizer still does its job.

Thanks, again super nice video.

Aye Up MT, hows the frogs? Not seen you on here recently. Yep you can use a single set up to adjust tilt but you have to get the MK or ANY other system out of your head and get it around how the Radian works.

I stopped trying to get TX trimming set up because I could not understand the concept. The OM does not help but the FF forum does. Now I understandish the Radian I am getting there but to be honest once you have setup the roll there is no need for TX adjustment. Next up tilt. BUT with what I am flying at the moment I am not going to bother. When I move up to a much heavier lifting MR I will need to go to Radian on all three axis at which point I will try and find some more space in my 88mb brain to accommodate it all! ;-)

Dave

Michael64

Droider
Do you have the roll connected to the receiver at all or do just have it powered up and just setting it up in the software. Adam told me that the roll really just needs power to it because you really never adjust roll anyway like pitch and pan.

Michael64

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Do you have the roll connected to the receiver at all or do just have it powered up and just setting it up in the software. Adam told me that the roll really just needs power to it because you really never adjust roll anyway like pitch and pan.

Just to power. I was trying to get it so I could trim it up over the TX but gave up. Now I dont think it is really required. Once set its set!

Dave

Michael64

Thanks for the info. You are on the right track for sure video looks very good for early stages of tuning and trying for sure. On the camera are you using manual focus or not and also are you setting shutter speed and aperture or letting the camera decide that.

Michael64

Just to power. I was trying to get it so I could trim it up over the TX but gave up. Now I dont think it is really required. Once set its set!

Dave

Kari

Dave

I don't think it is good idea to use roll slew command on for trimming purposes. I have noticed if you once set roll in level, it will hold it's level very very well. Also if you adjust it from tx and it's in slew mode and when you switch manual adjusting mode off it will not remember that last set level, that's why you should adjust roll to level from pc-software. But it's good idea to keep receiver connected so you can switch radian on and off from transmitter.

I have to say i'm really impressed of overall quality of Radians. Setup is very easy and everything software and firmware are very solid, stabile and bug-free. No sudden servo moves hitting roll to the endpoint ruining gears or anything like that we are used to setting up previous gimbal controllers. Everything is very well finished already even though we are using just published controllers. I hope i can soon find out something to get rid of slight twitch on roll axis but like i said before it's more like the vibration dampening to look for what to tweak rather than Radian unit.

Actually only thing which is not so good in Radian at the moment is lack of proportional tilt adjusting. As it's slew mode only it's bit pain if using single operator setup. I have assigned tilt slew adjusting to 3 pos switch which is working ok but it's hard to know the actual angle so you are easily shooting front boom. Hope we get proportional mode in future update soon.

Kari