Freefly Radian Owners' Thread

blbills

Sure love mine! Was getting a bit of overshoot on Pan until I switched over to the Freefly servos. Now it's awesome.

Note that I have them installed on a Triax Gimbal mounted to a heli.

Trike

I'm still tuning mine. Over the weekend, I found out which direction I need to head towards with the gain settings. Previously I was lowering the gains on roll and was getting a wobbling effect. I ended up raising it quite a bit and it's starting to get that "look" now. I'm pretty close to getting it dialed in.

ZAxis

3.5% .... I didn't figure that in the costs ...... UK import duty ! Final cost worked out the same as if I'd bought the pair of Radians over here rather than import from the States and 10 days longer. Lesson learnt.
Then there was the frantic hour searching for my only micro USB lead hiding somewhere in the house... note to FreeFly ... include one in the kit :upset:
Programmed, fitted to the AV130 roll and tilt, operating with my Spektrum DX7 less than an hour later, now we have to wait for the UK weather to calm down to fly it and see what needs trimming.

So pretty painless so far .....

andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Andy,

Sorry about the micro usb cable. That one is 100% my fault. I figured everyone in the world had one and we were just waisting time, money, resources shipping them all over the world. The next round will certainly include them!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ive posted a video of my first trial. About to go out to do some more testing

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Hey guys any news???! I dont see a lot of reviews by the users??! why???

Patn ... I think its because they just work and people are getting on and using them. The FreeFly Radian forum has very few customers with problems which I consider a good sign. This stabiliser was not rushed out and has had a lot of development time behind it. It has also had its software written by someone with years of experience in airborne electronics.
The only draw backs we've found so far are that the movement of the axes operate in slew mode so require a joystick rather than a slider to alter position and the need to wait for the system to initialise that can be a bit long.
There is another thread thats worth reading
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6250-Radian-stabilizers&p=64637#post64637

Been very impressed so far. We got ours on a Thursday and were using it on a shoot on Sunday. Once the gains were sorted there's been no alterations to anything.

andy

jes1111

So how well does the Radian hold the horizon under duress? I was surprised by Tabb's statement that Zenmuse has horizon issues - I can't recall seeing any reports of that but I'm not willing to buy one just to verify it. I understand from reports so far that Radian is performing well in general terms, but I think the $64K question is its horizon behaviour.

PaNt

Patn ... I think its because they just work and people are getting on and using them. The FreeFly Radian forum has very few customers with problems which I consider a good sign. This stabiliser was not rushed out and has had a lot of development time behind it. It has also had its software written by someone with years of experience in airborne electronics.
The only draw backs we've found so far are that the movement of the axes operate in slew mode so require a joystick rather than a slider to alter position and the need to wait for the system to initialise that can be a bit long.
There is another thread thats worth reading
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6250-Radian-stabilizers&p=64637#post64637

Been very impressed so far. We got ours on a Thursday and were using it on a shoot on Sunday. Once the gains were sorted there's been no alterations to anything.

andy

When you say joystic you mean the stick p. the tx right.. I have 2 men system!!

E-Copter

John Cunningham at Carvec Systems.

He designed the most kick a.. system for helicopters and is the pioneer in some ways...

I used to fly the " Workfly" concept prototype in Paris in.. 2005 , with the Carvec System. The only system that could drive that thing and any helicopter. It had EVERYTHING : logs on sd cards, waypoints, stabilisation of aircraft, gimbal...

Some company ripped off his work ( a well known manufacturer i would even say) and i did not read about John since long time. Glad to know he is behind this stabilisation system, knowing the guy he would never release something that is not proven to work more than prefectly !

Bradley Engineering uses still a Carvec System on their gasser heli, and it operates since 7 years... That says about the reliability of the system..

It only brings me to one conclusion : Radian it will be, with the navigation system i'm testing actually ! :)

Best regards

Fabien

So how well does the Radian hold the horizon under duress? I was surprised by Tabb's statement that Zenmuse has horizon issues - I can't recall seeing any reports of that but I'm not willing to buy one just to verify it. I understand from reports so far that Radian is performing well in general terms, but I think the $64K question is its horizon behaviour.

Jes, There is nothing that I am currently aware of that uses MEMS sensors that is more accurate then the Radian. I was recently on a Honda car commercial and the Radian outperformed a camera car head which uses FOG's in holding the horizon. The manufacture of the stabilized head was asking us to make a version of the Radian by the end of the shoot! ;)

For the Zenmuse drifting watch this video.....https://vimeo.com/48369832 Short term stability to disturbances is excellent, but the long term drift is horrible.

Tabb

Yeah, but that's where the "vets" are hanging - they converse in film industry slang and actually posting video would be just "not cool" ;)

LOL! I do not think it is because it is not 'cool' but perhaps that we deal with video all day long ever day so sometimes posting video get's tiresome ;)