Hoverfly ESC decisions

Bluerex

Hi Gang, I know this has been discussed before (on both multi-rotor and RC forums) but I thought i'd try one more time before Mr PayPal and I do some shopping

What is the current "best practice" choice for 30/40 amp speedies for the HFP??

So far HobbyKing's Plush get thumbs up from most corners (except they are out of stock and can take quite a while to ship to Australia).
Opto VS UBEC... since I would be cutting all the +5 BEC lines (my receiver runs at full battery voltage for telemetry reasons) an Opto seems like a reasonable idea - I have DJI on my Naza quad but am too ignorant to tell if they are worth buying in bulk for the 4X4... other brands?

Castle creations seem to get mixed reviews (ah the beauty of the internet) so once again I am left clueless

And then there is the 4S requirement... logic says that running at the max rating of anything is not a good idea - most of the 30A devices I have seen max out at 4S (my 25A plushes get pretty warm just on the programming card at 4S - not convinced that they are such a good idea).

I see I can get HobbyWing FlyFun 40A Optos from the AXI suppliers for $27 which seems like a reasonable idea (but I would need a programming card of course...)

I am looking at a DW XM 4x4 (coaxial) with 2x 4S 4000ma nanotech batteries in parallel swinging 12 inch props on AXI 2814 / 22 motors if this helps.

As always any words of wisdom greatly appreciated

Charles.

mailman35

i just picked up a set of 4 20a simonk flashes escs from rctimer.com
i have yet to try them but i will be pairing them up with rctimer 2212 HP motors. so i shouldnt be close to the amp ceiling.

kloner

Aerial DP
you know he's asking about the hoverfly pro in the HF forum,,, yea?

They have a whole different mindset here in person...... even though there manual says otherwise.........

erikbuch

I have rctimer 20 and 30 amp esc on all my multirotors. Flashed with simonK firmware, they are just great! Never had a glitch and their cheap to! I also bought some HK 30 A, and flashed them, but havent had a chance to fly them yet. Some say they are even better than rctimers because of the internal oscillator in them, but thats still to try!
If you can get ready flashed rctimers or flash them yourself, you cant go wrong!
My 2 cents!

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am HIGHLY opposed to using/trusting/buying anything from China but I have to say the Turnigy Plush ESC's have been great. I guess my motors are from there too and they seem to be ok as well-tiger 2814. Just buy 10 at a time so you dont have to deal with the shipping. There is also http://rc-drones.com/TURNIGY-40ampESC.php . They are in the USA but he normally has them in stock and will prevent you from having to deal with HobbyChing.

I am HIGHLY opposed to using/trusting/buying anything from China but I have to say the Turnigy Plush ESC's have been great. I guess my motors are from there too and they seem to be ok as well-tiger 2814. Just buy 10 at a time so you dont have to deal with the shipping. There is also http://rc-drones.com/TURNIGY-40ampESC.php . They are in the USA but he normally has them in stock and will prevent you from having to deal with HobbyChing.

I've bought Plush ESCs from him before - he always ships them out that day.

Bluerex

Thank for the input guys, I am going-with-the-flow (at least for the initial build) with 40A Plush from the King. I figured that the frame will be several weeks in the delivery so I can afford the time delay.
Next time round I am most interested in trying the RCtimer opto's but 50A might be a bit of overkill on the AXI 2814 / 22.
Thanks to all who took the time to edumicate me
:frog:

With luck my HF Pro and GPS will have a new home early in the new year.

Charles.

JZSlenker

Yeah, I can blow that up.
FYI, Rctimer makes lower current rated opto-escs. I can only comment on the 50a version working however.