DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal Problem

RatHat

I have just bought a Zenmuze H3-2D gimbal and have been trying it out today with my Phantom. I have had some strange problems where it goes dead after a minute or two, and could use some help.

What has been happening is this:

• Power on the Phantom
  • Gimbal powers on automatically
  • Take off and all is working fine
  • Fly for a few minutes
  • Gimbal switches off and the camera flops over to one side

If I bring the Phantom back and Power off, then restart all works fine, and may or may not happen again.

So far the Gimbal has cut out on about 50% of flights. I have no idea what could be causing this, but it is most annoying.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix this?

RatHat

Not yet. I have been in touch with the supplier and he is in touch with DJI. If he comes up with a solution, I will post it here.

RatHat

OK, this is what I have got from DJI. Cant do this though until I get home from work.

• Use the latest assistant software for Naza-M V2
  • Complete the X1 channel calibration then reduce the level of X1 after calibration

Will see if that does it next time I get a chance to fly.

Last edited by a moderator:

RatHat

I did the above, and checked the cable connections, and all seems to be OK at the moment. Havent had chance to fly it yet though as I live in a built up area, and need to wait for the weekend.

I could not find a way to reduce the X1 level though. Searched through the NAZA Assistant, but couldn't find a thing. Any ideas?

econfly

I think they are saying you should reduce x1 end points on your radio after calibration of x1 in Naza assistant.

If the issue is gimbal timing out due to reaching travel limits (i.e., x1 is pushing it too far, which shouldn't happen but may anyway), then it would make sense to (1) calibrate x1 in Naza assistant, then (2) plug into the H3-2D and check the pitch response to x1. Finally, step (3) would be to adjust the limits of x1 on your radio (but do not recalibrate in Naza afterwards). I did this, not to solve a problem, but to get the x1 slider on my radio to go from straight forward to straight down over its full travel (and to not tilt up past forward at one extreme).

My H3-2D will shut down if it is placed in an extreme position for too long (e.g., when doing a compass calibration). A reboot fixes it, and it sounds like your problem is something like this where DJI is saying the x1 adjustment is pushing the tilt too close to the limit.

RatHat

Here is a video made by someone else who has been experiencing exactly the same problem I have:

There are no abrupt movements, it is just as if the signal has been lost to the gimbal, and it has shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I don't think it started the calibration or finished it. When this happens I usually reboot the system again and make sure nothing moves for a few seconds. Same with Alexmos.

The problem that I have found is that there is no way to connect the iOSD mini to the new board and I could not get any output from the camera cable. I had to route it directly from the camera to the Vtx. Now that I have it working this way it is delivering great results.

AEA737

I had the same problem and reducing the endpoints of X1 channel by 70% on my Futaba seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks for the input

Javier

Sorry, I'm having the same problem here...

"• Complete the X1 channel calibration then reduce the level of X1 after calibration"

I've done the calibration, but how do you reduce the level of X1 after calibration? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

AEA737

Reduce the endpoints of your X1 channel on your transmitter. Reducing them from 100 to 70% solved the problem for me.

Javier

Javier, thank you for your response! I understand that that's what I need to do, but literally how do I do this? Forgive me, but an 'idiots guide' step by step explanation would be greatly appreciated!!

AEA737

I use a Futaba radio. Find your Endpoints menu, scroll down until you highlight the X1 channel (it will be channel 5, 6, 7 or 8 on your radio, depending on model) you want to reduce and then do so on both ends. I guess in Spectrum it´ll be similar.

Hope it helps

Javier

Sorry... I've now got the gimbal working! However, whenever I try and take off it's just instantly nose diving - the front 2 propellers don't seem to be responding correctly. Whenever I try and switch the Receiver Type to PPM, there's no response either. Everything is recognised when set to D-Bus, but nothing on PPM. Any ideas??

AEA737

Check everything is working correctly in the assistant software and make sure all props are turning the way they should. Take a deep breath a fly it off the ground in ATTI mode. It should be good.

Ok, it seems like the 2 front motors aren't spinning as fast as they should :-\
Even when I do the motor test on the assistant software - the 2 front propellers don't spin as fast as the rear ones.