DJI WKM wish list

Icarus

is RTH a genuine feature or a last option before a crash for radio loss?

as i understand it, the way dji have implemented it, makes it a last ditch function rather than an equal to other functions (like MK's come home), which make me think i don't want to try it - for the above reasons as it all seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

if it's a genuine function, it would be good if dji allow it to be assigned to a switch - either a switch of it's own or maybe giving the options for "manual, atti, gps" or "atti, gps, rth" on the existing 3 position switch.

In fairness to WKM, I have seen many videos of perfect execution of RTH, both in terms of accuracy and pace. Boris even posted a video where his multi rotor inadvertently auto lands twice...and even the onboard video was quite impressive under the circumstances. I'm not talking about Holger proudly watching his MK drop out of the sky in his demonstration video either.

The WKM has some well documented issues, but based on my experiences with both platforms there is little comparison, and I would pick Wookong. I'm often shocked when people say they prefer the MK. Perhaps they like sport flying? I just don't see it.

swisser

Hey Icarus. I must say this made me smile:

"I'm going to make the WKM manual my bible."

followed by:

"Are you saying that even with one red flash the WKM should have been able to locate the "home position"?"

The manual states:

"
Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home point by MC automatically when you push the throttle stick first time after 6 or more GPS satellites are found ( blinks once or no blinking) 8 seconds."

Hardly the best English in the world but seems pretty clear.

Definitely investigate the use of a switch for RTH. If you do a search on here for T8FG you'll find a post from me in the last month or so where I spelled out how to set up a T8FG with failsafe, RTH, etc.

As you say, the bigger issue, given that in my (and others') experience, RTH does work really nicely, is why it didn't work which then led to the later problems. I can't think of any reason why if it holds its position accurately when in GPS mode that it wouldn't then be able to steer itself around when in RTH mode. When you fly in GPS mode you want to be seeing one or two purple flashes, ideally no or only occasional whites, and a maximum of one red flash. Is that what you get?

jhardway

Hey Icarus.

I do not think I know much but I can tell you about my crashes I have had, the funniest part is it all has something to do with me. I can say this reading over your post I feel for you. The W-MK is a very fickle unit if the proper channels are not taken.

When you were saying that the wobbling kept grow as the unit was fighting to get into the position that does sound familiar to me and what I would ask from my experience is.

1). Did you calibrate the GPS unit. if not that would be a good start, What could be going on the GPS does not know where it is from the unit (or its center point) and its fighting itself to get into the proper place (see question 2), if it thinks that the position you told it is and it is not where it is then some of the movement needed to get into the proper place may be taking it into another direction, and I do not think it likes that much. The other day I was playing about when I took a little spill from a few feet up, basically I ran my battery down, on purpose for a flight time test but the copter got turned upside down. The next time I went up I had a heck of a time controlling it. I have no idea why but it was flying in a hybrid mode, somewhere between manual and GPS, either way I was not sure if I was going to get it down in one piece. I stayed with it and ended up OK. I recalibrate the GPS and took off again, although all my problems where gone I kept it on a short leash.

2). X Y Z offsets, make sure you have their coordinate system properly orientated, I have a pretty good understanding of the three axises and over the years I have found depending on the engineering team involved they may implement a different orientation then you are use to. DJI looking at the image of the X Y Z numbers may not be as they seem, unless you take a very good look at their diagrams, this is something I did when I first configured it. Looking at the diagram on the screen of the software I thought x going to the back of the copter was a positive number but its not, its a negative. I had the y right but even more confusing to me was the Z when you place your antenna upwards above the CG that is a negative number on the z axis. So if this is not right then what you may be doing is telling you flight controller that the GPS is in the back when really is in the front and the corrections to make that work is totally opposite, and eventually the unit will be so far out of sorts something like you described may have happened.

On your hand set transmitter, ya if you do not drop the stick after you turn it back on then it will not engage with the receiver, its a built in safety so people will not turn on the controller and find their RC model whatever running away. Warning if you implement fail safe with the power off then once you turn it on drop your throttle all the way down to engage the receiver and cut off you alarm, get the throttle right back up to the a hover position or pretty much the middle of its range. If you do not do this your unit may cut the engines three seconds after that happens, or drop out of the sky because of the low throttle setting

Also since your unit did not go into RHM which sounds like a good thing, you may have the loss of power setting wrong, in the software auto pilot section there is an option for fail-safe mode. Since you said that it unit slowly started to climb, that may be a fail-safe setting in your transmitter adding just a little more power then is needed to hover. Check the transmitters manual to set that. Going back to the auto pilot there is two options, hover (where I believe you may have been) or return home where the unit will climb up to 20 meter wait 30 second then drop down, since that did not happen I believe you were in hover.

Also make sure that you have GPS lock before you leave the ground on this option because if you do not have the lock, then after you take off and you are about 10 ft off the ground when lock kicks in, let say maybe in one of my cases, then when you active the return home option the copter will go back to where it felt was the initiation point before cutting off the motors (ten feet above the ground). Not good, let say I have not activated that option since.

You may have done the things I mentioned above and what I am spitting out here is mainly related to things I have seen or got nibbled or bitten on.

I hope what I post may be helpful, keep at it and good luck. Last note until you step through all the functionalists and understand them I would keep my unit as bare as possible just to make sure everything is right, then you have lessor chance of more expensive/damaging crashes.

cheers Jack

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Eh Up Jack..

Its post like yours that make this forum bloody great...

Thanks for taking the time to bang on the keys..

We ALL learn something new everyday and this place helps all of us into this addiction

Dave

Icarus

Hey Jack, thanks for the comprehensive, thoughtful post.

1.) We did calibrate the compass that day.

2.) I agree it can be confusing the way they describe the C of G. I'm pretty sure we have this right. My partner is very meticulous, he has hung the bird from his ceiling and spent a lot of time being as precise as possible with his measurements...and we have checked and rechecked. That and the Octo was flying so well?

After essentially rebuilding the CineStar and checking that everything was functioning properly, we took it back to the scene of the crime for a test flight. Upon takeoff things looked promising, but within a couple seconds it was obvious something was wrong. It turned/banked to the right and my partner managed to land it. We rechecked the WKM to make sure it was properly configured in the software....couldn't find anything wrong? We checked our connections to make sure there were no lose wires. We re-calibrated the compass. Made sure the props were turning the right directions and that they were in the right spots and that they were all spinning up.Checked that the IMU was facing the same direction as noted in the software. We couldn't find anything wrong, so we decided to try it again.

This time it did the exact same thing, veering to the right. After a few more short test flights we discovered that everything except the yaw seemed to be working? We revisited the TX settings in the software and we were not getting the proper indicators when we moved the yaw stick? We recalibrated the TX and were still having no luck...we had altered the settings in the TX to get smoother yaw and thought we may have discovered the problem as we read that the TX had to be reset to default settings in order to calibrate it....we reset TX to default settings and recallibrated. We decided to reflash with the newest firmware using an iphone as a hotspot. We tried again but the Octo behaved the same way.

I'm starting to feel that in yesterdays crash, some component of the WKM hardware may have been damaged? I just find it so strange that what is not working is so specific? I guess that is the downside to the WKM, there's no real way to diagnose hardware issues. I'd like to throw a different WKM on there to confirm or eliminate the possibility that it is hardware related. Why would the bird always veer right? Could that be a bad motor? Everything sounded normal.

Does anyone have any theory as to why everything but yaw works? Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Vojec

hi,
Wish that I could use WKM Assist. software on Android TAB (Asus eee Transformer). For now I must carry my old heavy laptop. Send Dji email and replay with this:

Hi, Vojc,
Thanks for supporting DJI. Now we are working on 64bit system and Mac. We have plan on Android too when we finished the previous 2 projects.
Best regards,

Hope to be very soon :)

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
I want to see "crawling mode" ie flick a switch and then set it moving in a certain direction at a certain speed and it carries on...it's so difficult to try and fly it while walking behind without occasionally bumping the sticks!

Gunter.

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
@ Gunter,

you could program a switch or knob that gives a slight trimm in forward direction on your TX,