DJI WKM GPS failure

rsun

Just got this in my mailbox:

DJI FINDS FIRMWARE BUG CAUSING SPONTANEOUS S800 SYSTEM FAILURE
Research and testing confirms zero faults with S800 air frame – error found in compass firmware

DJI, one of the world’s leading developers and manufacturers in UAV systems, today announced a voluntary recall of all WooKong-M GPS compasses purchased after June 15th, 2012. The new compasses’ firmware contained a bug that, under very specific conditions, could send an erratic signal causing a spike in power and overall system failure. DJI confirmed both the fault and the bug fix by flying four S800s under heavy burden on electric tether for more than 72 hours without failure. Since learning of the system failures during several S800 flights, DJI spent more than 1600 man hours in research and testing to determine the fault and develop a solution for customers. Through the vigorous research process, DJI engineers not only fixed the bug in the firmware, but also developed multiple new innovations for the WooKong-M GPS compass. At this point in time DJI would advise that users of large multi-rotors (S800 size and larger) fitted with post-June 15
th
compasses should not fly their multi rotors until their GPS/Compass has been returned for firmware upgrade. All customers with WooKong-M GPS compasses purchased after June 15th, 2012 should contact their dealer or click http://www.dji-innovations.com/compass/submit_rma/ to get information on returning their GPS/Compass module for firmware upgrade. In turn, DJI is also developing a new firmware upgrade for the WooKong-M IMU based on the innovations developed for the compass bug fix. The IMU firmware upgrade will be released within the next several weeks and will have superior solutions for the following: better resistance to vibration, less white lights and better compass tracking. A further announcement will be made when this firmware enhancement will be available. We are excited that we not only discovered the fault and developed a fix, but also created a superior firmware in the process. We look forward to working with all our customers to quickly replace their affected compasses and get everyone back in the air.

Old GPS Module (OKAY TO FLY): has 2 black side pads when looking from above

New GPS Module (NEEDS NEW FACTORY FIRMWARE): all white from above no special pads
For any questions or concerns about the potential system failure caused by the compass firmware bug,
customers and dealers can email
support@dji-innovations.com for immediate support.DJI Innovations Technology Co. Ltd.
OCT 19th, 2012

kloner

Aerial DP
wow,,,, ooops

wonder what "okay to fly" means,,,,,,, i'd rather read, the old compass is perfect, not a flaw in it and your fine

Tomstoy2

I have one of the old ones. Got over 12 hours of flight time on it, never had an issue. I'm curious if the new imu firmware will benefit the old gps/compass units.

I applaud DJI for their actions and commitment to support their product so vigorously. You just don't see too many companies doing this, (Feiutec comes to mind, for an example ).

One reads so many reports of jumping ship. I myself have done it. My experience, limited as it is, with other fc's drove me to spending the bucks on WKM and I have never regretted it. Totally opposite. With ever flight I enjoy it.
Sure, there have been bugs in a few of the updates, but they always get worked out and in an expedient manner.

True, I don't own an s800 or a super expensive gimbal hauling an even more expensive and fragile camera being flown at the mercy of WKM. However, my investment is just as worry some to me as theirs is to them. Let's face it. The truth is if it flys it dies, just a question of when.

It might have taken awhile for them to come up with the solution to this problem, but the fact is they did, and voluntarily I might add.
For me this is what breeds confidence in my purchase.

PapaRomeo

"Thank You! test." ... "Body and merge fields here".

Duh!! I guess nothing is perfect...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I have one of the old ones. Got over 12 hours of flight time on it, never had an issue. I'm curious if the new imu firmware will benefit the old gps/compass units.

I applaud DJI for their actions and commitment to support their product so vigorously. You just don't see too many companies doing this, (Feiutec comes to mind, for an example ).

One reads so many reports of jumping ship. I myself have done it. My experience, limited as it is, with other fc's drove me to spending the bucks on WKM and I have never regretted it. Totally opposite. With ever flight I enjoy it.
Sure, there have been bugs in a few of the updates, but they always get worked out and in an expedient manner.

True, I don't own an s800 or a super expensive gimbal hauling an even more expensive and fragile camera being flown at the mercy of WKM. However, my investment is just as worry some to me as theirs is to them. Let's face it. The truth is if it flys it dies, just a question of when.

It might have taken awhile for them to come up with the solution to this problem, but the fact is they did, and voluntarily I might add.
For me this is what breeds confidence in my purchase.

I spent too much money to jump ship. I haven't had any fatal control issues with the WKM. I have the "older" one and its been a blast to fly. It even survived a prop-break induced crash. I was certain that every would have been a loss. I like the simplicity of the connections and setup menu. I don't want to tinker with settings all day trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Since money is limited. I'll stick with what I have. I was on the fence about trying Hoverfly until I discovered DJI WKM. I would go with Hoverfly if I had to choose another flight controller besides WKM.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• made in.jpeg
    made in.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 239

DesJardins

People seem to forget that when there are 10,000 units of one item out vs. 1,000 of another... The 10,000 will come across problems not only first but in a much larger scale.

This is a first I have personally seen DJI recognize and they still took care of me when my Naza compass was bad after chatting on email as well as 2 new motors...

So DJI does have customers intentions in mind and made basically a public recall by website and posting on forms all over when they can find to help people out and warn those with new purchases.

kristiaj

I'm still on v.5.02 because I hear people having problems with newer versions. Is this GPS problem the cause of all the problems people has experienced with wkm? So if I got the old gps it would be safe to upgrade to the last version?

Never had any problems with my wkm running 5.02. Have used it almost every day for 8 months.

DennyR

I know that Jeff has done a good job with his preparation and this is a very worrying development. Even so it takes some force to break the arm at that point. Are you completely sure that it was the motor that came off in the air. It looks like something hit one of the props first. Maybe some of your payload came adrift? That kind of fracture is more in keeping with what we have seen from a ground impact. That noise was not like a normal phase loss it was more like a broken prop.

Dewster

I know that Jeff has done a good job with his preparation and this is a very worrying development. Even so it takes some force to break the arm at that point. Are you completely sure that it was the motor that came off in the air. It looks like something hit one of the props first. Maybe some of your payload came adrift? That kind of fracture is more in keeping with what we have seen from a ground impact. That noise was not like a normal phase loss it was more like a broken prop.

I agree. It sounds like a part of the prop broke or your prop was obstructed by something.

HEX junky

I would be very surprised if DJI replace any of your parts free of charge, as
this is a non standard (modified) S800 i.e. you have fitted different props.
Once DJI know this I am sure they will not cover any warrenty claim.