DJI releases Zenmuse H3-2D

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Found the official release email in my inbox this morning for the DJI GoPro gimbal. Pricing set at $699 US and of course unless you've already preordered one the initial shipment is sold out. If you want one it's likely to be July before you'll have it in hand at this point. Personally already having three GoPro size brushless and a larger one that carries my Nex 5n, I won't be jumping on the bandwagon any time soon, I'll be waiting to see what the user experience is before I even consider it. While the pricing is better than expected it's still more than it cost me for the pair of RCTimer gimbals I currently have flying. Maybe I'll wait until the usual price drop or for the V2 to come out in a few months...

Ken

Copied from the official email...

DJI releases Zenmuse H3-2D,
The DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal is another milestone in gimbal innovation, which is designed for the GoPro Hero3. With its high precision, high stability, lightweight, plug and play features, it is widely used in film and television productions, advertising aerial photography, etc. Even if the aircraft is in high-speed flight, it can still stabilize and control the GoPro camera precisely with the highest stability. The precision of control angle is within the range of ±0.08°, so picture or video output can reach the best quality.
• Customized for GoPro Hero3
• Compatible with DJI flight control systems
• The Core Technology is inherited from the Zenmuse Z15
• Independent IMU module
• Extremely light weight with solid mechanical design
• Ideal Choice for Phantom and Flame Wheel
• Online Upgrade
If you have any questions, please log into DJI website or reach DJI local dealers for more information, Thanks!

Tomstoy2

I really suspect the price will be fixed, much like the other gimbal. However, if it truly is plug and play and you don't have to jump thru all these damn hoops like AM boards, then the price, to me anyway, seems doable. I just get this 'feeling' that much like the other gimbal, if you need support you're screwed.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I really suspect the price will be fixed, much like the other gimbal. However, if it truly is plug and play and you don't have to jump thru all these damn hoops like AM boards, then the price, to me anyway, seems doable. I just get this 'feeling' that much like the other gimbal, if you need support you're screwed.

Support is key and the price could be justified if the buyer could be assured that support was accessable and responsive along with a readily available stock of spares for repairs after the inevitable crash damage that you know is going to occur on a fairly high percentage of these given the target market. I would suspect that anyone who has a problem requiring parts is going to be SOL for many weeks until the initial demand is met and production slows. Until then you can bet every part available will go into making complete units to sell.

Again, if I feel the need for one I'll wait for V2 and buy someone's V1 cheap when they want to upgrade, until then my RCTimer/Alexmos combos are working far better than I ever though possible for a sub $300 gimbal...

Ken

Burntpixel

Atlanta Hobby here in Georgia USA has already sold out of their first shipment. Next batch will arrive July 5TH. DroneFly.com has also sent out emails to those that pre-ordered. I WILL be buying it from whoever has it in stock as I pre-ordered the gimbal from more than one source. I need two. One for actual work and another for back up. The main selling point for me was the ease in which one can install the thing and then go out and fly. I was very glad I did not waste my money on all the pieced together gimbals that have come down the pipe in order to fly a simple Gopro set up under a Phantom.

Just order the arris cm2000 sorry dji but at half price gotta give it a try.

I ordered the Zenmuse because I don't have the time to tinker with a DIY project.

However, a friend just picked up an Arris CM2000 (newest v3) for his Phantom. The unit is pre-assembled, calibrated, & tested before it's shipped from the factory, so no messing around with soldering or building. I watched him set it up & it was a relatively easy software configuration process.

Well, in one word... Wow!!!

Absolutely fantastic results -- and this is me seeing it in action first-hand & reviewing the raw video (a straight copy from the card to my MacBook Pro).

So, I just cancelled the Zenmuse order and bought 2 of the Arris CM2000s (v3) yesterday. One for a Phantom and another for an F550.

Ideally, I'd like to do a real world / head-to-head comparison, but I can't imagine the Zenmuse performance would be any better.

Sorry, but DJI has got to be bummed out that this CM2000 is available *right now* at less than half the price of their new Zenmuse.

BTW, I have no relationship to Arris... I'm just a (new) customer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Green

I ordered the Zenmuse because I don't have the time to tinker with a DIY project.

However, a friend just picked up an Arris CM2000 (newest v3) for his Phantom. The unit is pre-assembled, calibrated, & tested before it's shipped from the factory, so no messing around with soldering or building. I watched him set it up & it was a relatively easy software configuration process.

Well, in one word... Wow!!!

Absolutely fantastic results -- and this is me seeing it in action first-hand & reviewing the raw video (a straight copy from the card to my MacBook Pro).

So, I just cancelled the Zenmuse order and bought 2 of the Arris CM2000s (v3) yesterday. One for a Phantom and another for an F550.

Ideally, I'd like to do a real world / head-to-head comparison, but I can't imagine the Zenmuse performance would be any better.

Sorry, but DJI has got to be bummed out that this CM2000 is available *right now* at less than half the price of their new Zenmuse.

BTW, I have no relationship to Arris... I'm just a (new) customer.
And - it's compatible with all Hero3s - not just the silver and black.

Tomstoy2

Well, I've had one for a few weeks now.

First few flights just blew my doors off, also.
But now I have an issue that is just driving me nuts!

What I got is on the pitch, I'm getting motor oscillations.
I've been experimenting with settings, but it's like the motor doesn't have the power to resist the wind resistance.
Strange.

Myself, I'm excited to follow the results of the DJI gimbal.
With anything new, bugs will be found.

Burntpixel

.....hehehehe, just ordered my Arris CM2000 before it's out of stock

Chris
Hehehe. I hope you do not suffer a hard landing or crash with that set-up as the gimbal holds that nice Gopro of your,s with a small piece of velcro.:highly_amused: That and the gimbal touches the ground.:crushed:

How are going to protect your lens? Or have you not thought about that?:sorrow:

Here is another cheap gimbal.:excitement:

http://www.aeroxcraft.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_25&products_id=61

ChrisViperM

Hehehe. I hope you do not suffer a hard landing or crash with that set-up as the gimbal holds that nice Gopro of your,s with a small piece of velcro

....sure ? http://www.hobby-wing.com/gopro3-cbron-ffiber-frame-for-cm2000.html

.....and the gimbal touches the ground.

it will be mounted on a CX600 with extended landing gear....so no touching the ground

How are going to protect your lens ?

What for ? Almost no BL-gimbal for GoPro's is having lens protection....too much useless weight.

Chris

Burntpixel

What for?

Chris

The Gopro lens is "multi-coated" to increase light transmission and cut down refection. Once that coating is mared,nicked or scratched the lens being a fisheye will show said damage in the footage taken. Once a scratch happens on a "naked" Gopro lens it is cost prohibitive to replace said lens.

I personally have scratched 2 older Gopro lenses on 2 seperate bodies. It will eventually happen if you have no lens protection.