DJI Lightbridge - 2.4G Full HD Digital Video Downlink

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
If the video transmission system is used as a standalone system it is not recommended to use a 2.4 Ghz radio system as there can be issues, only use 2.4 GHz radios via the S-BUS / D-BUS system.

Does the above spec not put anybody off...!

jimska

Video over 2.4 isn't putting me off because of the channel hopping tech but what is putting me off is getting HDMI from my shiny new Zenmuse 5D. Got one on order but now having doubts. Wire from camera to TX is ridiculous solution, this has got to be going through the slipring somehow, yes?

daniel

what's gonna happend with hdmi output at 24P ?
will it work with a black magic pocket,? should work with any camera that have a hdmi output right?

the 2.4 video signal is not gonna interfere with spektrum dx8 2,4 signal???

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
This is my point, they're stating that it will interfere with 2.4 radio system regardless of 'spread spectrum' technology... or did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
All I can say is that there is no way in hell you are going to get me to be a 'DJI Beta tester' for this. Using 2.4Ghz as the video TX is simply a bad idea regardless of spread spec tech.

rilot

All I can say is that there is no way in hell you are going to get me to be a 'DJI Beta tester' for this. Using 2.4Ghz as the video TX is simply a bad idea regardless of spread spec tech.

But the idea is that you run your tx controls over the same link. There's nothing to interfere as it's all going over the same transmitter.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Even more reason to steer clear given DJI's track record of software development of late.

Safety has to be paramount and piggybacking on an RF system never designed for this (ie Futaba), especially a command link at that, has my alarm bells ringing big time. I will watch with interest.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong but I wouldn't bet anything on it.

Tahoe Ed

I think that the combination of RC control and HD video downlink it perfect. 1.7M for control is a lot further than I will be flying.

Flubbs

Looks like a great bit of kit, something ive been looking at is clean HD images from the Gh3 on my new Z15, (yes i know..) one question that doesnt seem to be answered anywhere..

the Light bridge replaces the iOSD, yes? but do you get clean HD images, ie live broadcast possible, no flight info?? if so how do you get the flight info, is that limited to the android connection??

im confused why there seems to be so little info on this on the DJi website. clearly, the addition of a added HDMI cable annoys many and me in that having just paid for the slipringed Z15, why go "backwards"

lightbridge seems to answer a few needs, but then creates extra problems in its place.

Quinton

This is what I don't get about DJI
They keep everyone in the dark.
I feel sorry for the UK distributors, as they are also kept in the dark.
I have worked high up in online retail for the last 12 years, and its quite simple, if it does not work as advertised, get a refund..no questions asked.
Sorry but I do not want what I paid for sent back for testing for 2 months...

I am taking a big gamble on this, I am hoping it is going to work as advertised, if so, it will be the best thing since sliced bread.
Not sure how it works in China, but here in Europe your retailer is responsible for what you buy, so it is up to them to make sure it works right, if not....get your money back!
Then maybe the retailers will think twice what they are selling.
Fingers crossed this is going to be as good as originally described, if not the resellers need to think long and hard what they are actually selling.

Flubbs

arse biscuits, just watched the video properly, flight info on bars top and bottom of HDMI, oh well keep looking..

deluge2

As far as the "piggybacking on an RF system never designed for this (i.e. Futaba)" comment, I don't understand the underlying concern here.

*If* I understand to Lightbridge concept, the 'transmitters' are really just out-board controllers they no longer transmit anything. Their RF outputs are shut off and all they do is provide control inputs via the training ports. The Lightbridge itself is responsible for all actual transmission duties between the ground unit and the air unit. So, provided the Lightbridge can continuously reliably transmit the state of all the Futaba controls from ground to air, it *should* work. When used with the Lightbridge, the Futaba RF technology is literally a moot point. By definition, there appears to be nothing that Futaba could specifically do with their RF technology that would affect the use of their transmitters with the Lightbridge.

For a lot of reasons, I will not be among the first to evaluate this technology. But my biggest concern is compatibility with existing DJI equipment, specifically recent generation Z15 gimbals (GH3 in my case). The use case will only make sense if HD can be transmitted without fundamental compromise in current Z15 functionality (i.e. full freedom about pan axis). Will there be a solution beyond hardwired-HDMI out?

Reminds me a little of the 'plug-n-play' claims for the original Zen H3-2D on the 1st gen Phantom. It was really more like take apart, solder, replace, solder, and then plug and play and then update firmware...It wasn't until the Phantom 2 and then the FPV hub (just released this year) that it truly became plug-n-play.

The stakes are *much* higher with the Lightbridge. We all know that technology marches on and that equipment will become outmoded with certain advances. But if the Lightbridge requires a new generation of Zens, with no cost-effective upgrade path for at least recent units (GH3, 5D), well that would be unfortunate indeed.

Steve

Even more reason to steer clear given DJI's track record of software development of late.

Safety has to be paramount and piggybacking on an RF system never designed for this (ie Futaba), especially a command link at that, has my alarm bells ringing big time. I will watch with interest.

Hopefully I will be proven wrong but I wouldn't bet anything on it.

Quinton

arse biscuits, just watched the video properly, flight info on bars top and bottom of HDMI, oh well keep looking..

What is it you are looking to do?
From the specs so far..
Built-in OSD (On-Screen Display) Function
-No additional equipment required for OSD functions when used with A2/WooKong-M/Naza-M V2 flight controllers. Flight parameters will be displayed onscreen.
-OSD functionality can be turned off via mobile software for HDMI and iOS/Android Output.

This is clean HDMI but we are all waiting to see exactly what this means regarding what we can do with it. (DJI seem to be very secretive regarding this, and how it works)
I have no idea how they are doing this, unless its a marketing thing!

Nooky

Crazzy new information: the Dji Lightbridge FPVhttp://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/Thread/785-Dji-LightBridge/ System not only transmitts the video data - but also the RC steering-data.. I have read that in a German blog here.. see the cabeling sheer there: Dji Lightbridge FPV

So there is no separate transmission of FPV Video stream on the one hand and RC control data on the other hand.. that is why it also can operate at 2.4 Ghz. The RC controler is connected to the groundstation and the groundstation itself replaces the RC remote data trafic..
So it does not matter if you currently are using 2.4 Ghz or 5.8 Ghz - with this system, all your air data trafic will go through that system..

How crazzy is that - which also means, that the promised 5km range is not only for the FPV video data - but also for the RC remote data..

I need that system!! ;)

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Crazzy new information: the Dji Lightbridge FPV System not only transmitts the video data - but also the RC steering-data.. I have read that in a German blog here.. see the cabeling sheer there: Dji Lightbridge FPV

So there is no separate transmission of FPV Video stream on the one hand and RC control data on the other hand.. that is why it also can operate at 2.4 Ghz. The RC controler is connected to the groundstation and the groundstation itself replaces the RC remote data trafic..
So it does not matter if you currently are using 2.4 Ghz or 5.8 Ghz - with this system, all your air data trafic will go through that system..

How crazzy is that - which also means, that the promised 5km range is not only for the FPV video data - but also for the RC remote data..

I need that system!! ;)

Hows that new information? Half the posts in this thread talk about it.