DJI Inspire 1 Pro against GH4 - 4K videos

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm a notorious jump in first beta tester. However, based on my experience with service and my Inspire (which flies great now with x3) I wouldn't touch the x5 for 6-12 months. Just too much frustration and no guarantees it will work within a short period of time with DJI. Their reputation is earned for being early to market and hope it works within 12 months. Over promise and under deliver.

I may go for an Inspire pro w/ x5 next year because it's easy to get out and fly even though batteries and everything else is too expensive. It is fun to fly. To expect a non camera company (DJI) to make a camera that is as capable as Panasonic, Sony, or Canon in it's first few years is somewhat misguided. However, when you put all the pieces together in a nice neat package and get close, that will be good enough for many.

As to the X8 flying on 7 motors, I lost a prop and the only thing I noticed was a different sound as I flew back. Wasn't far out so by the time I realized what had gone wrong, I was almost back on the ground. It was a non issue and my shorts stayed clean.

dazzab

So several people have mentioned flying on 7 of 8 motors just fine. Just for the record, are any of you flying at a hover rater over 50%?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I had two incidents with Mikrokopter XY-8's where I lost motors and the heli kept flying, the second time I didn't even know it happened until I came down from a photo flight and saw a prop wasn't turning. Another time with a Hoverfly based XY-8 I had a motor bell come loose along with the prop and the heli either crashed because it was uncontrollable or because I failed to control it. It all happened so fast I couldn't really tell you how it all went down. :)/:(

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
So guys,
Any updates so far?
SleepyC, what made you sell your Inspire??

It's not sold yet!

Few things,
1) I'm poor.
The FAA has taken 8 months + to process my 333 and it's still not here. Just found out it may be delayed another 60 - 120 days. I broke ties with the company I was working under (they charged WAY to much to use their 333) and since all the publicity, I can't get work to save my life without that damn paper work. Due to this and just a general lack of constant work I'm having to tighten the belt as if I don;t I'll soon be "Sleepy who lives under the bridge"

2) It's not a professional system because you can't depend on it. And by that I mean this. It UNTOUCHABLE when it's working. Simple, smooth, great images, 1 min to get into the air, long flight time.. it's Brilliant. BUT... the constant updates, the "If you prepair for a job at 11pm, but forget to turn you ipad to "airplane mode" and leave it charging over night for your job in the AM, there is a good chance that even though everything was good at 11pm, when you get to your job at 5am, the DJI Go App has decided to update overnight and then force a mandatory update to your rig, or even just a simple "warning do not fly update required" message. Nothing is more unprofessional than being 100% ready just to show up to a gig and your rig is no longer ready.

3) the "Smart" batteries are HORRIBLE. If you have not read much about the I1. The batts are awful. There is a firmware glitch that is a serious problem. I totally thought it was just a bunch of morons not doing things correctly and causing their own problems, but it is not.

First off, you can only fly a battery if it's 100% charged. Meaning if you fly and land after 2 minutes... that betery is DONE, as if you re-boot the system with the battery that is at 90% it may not calibrate properly in the system. (People will argue this, but i have experienced this) Then there is the cold weather issue. No matter what you do, there is a good chance the battery will go from 90-80% to 5% in 2 seconds forcing a mandatory landing or in some cases a crash. Again, i thought this may be morons, but I had a freshly charged battery, flew for 3 minutes and the rig went from 89% battery to 5% in a split seconds and forced me to land. Fortunately for me, I don;t fly past LOS, so my rig was not that far away and I landed. After re-booting the system the batt was once again at 89%. Meaning there is a firmware issue sensing something in regard to temp and causing a shut down.

There there is the battery conditioning. EVERY 10 FLIGHTS the batts must be "deep cycled" to 3.3V or less and recharged to 100%. The only way to do this is to "Fly them down", canceling the low voltage warning and "as DJI actually states" Cancel the low voltage warning and then hover 2 - 3" off the ground until your batt cells reach 3.3V per cel. Then land , let the batt cool, and charge to 100%. OK great,I have 20 batteries... now every 10 flights on each I have to spend 10 - 12 minutes "flying down " my bateries. I don;t have this time... how can a professional deal with this? Even teh $500 Smart charger that a company sells does not take the batts to 3.3V so they can be system calibrated.

So for those reasons, the rig is a joke. Not to mention system updates that come almost bi-weekly... and mind you if you had tuned your rig ann it's perfect (to get them to fly good AP you must tune the gains) when you update the firmware every week, it erases your custom settings... I know what your thinking.. write them down, and re-enter them! Yea BUT... usually after an update the settings are useless as they don;t feel the same, so you have to "re-tune" the entire rig...

THESE are my complaints... :D

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Those seem like some serious considerations for anyone looking to use this as a "pro" rig. Most importantly, the tuning.

Seems to me the other issues are all annoying, but 'wasted time' related. While still a hurdle, these can be overcome by someone who doesn't use it on a fully-professional level. For instance, someone who captures the footage on their own time, without the pressure of a crew looking over their shoulder and waiting.

But not being confident in the tuning you have done, after a mandatory update? Deal breaker.

Fortunately you have a few other rigs to choose from @SleepyC :)

Sleepy C,
Thank you so much for the detailed layout.
I had read many things,but mostly scattered information from different users so I was having a hard time filtering!
I'm definitely not changing my X8 for an I x5 for now!
Hope your paperwork gets sorted soon, you know, I'm from Spain and usually buro takes forever here, but somehow they managed to compress the Forbidden to Fly and licence granting in less than a year.
Cheers!

dazzab

Those are all very valid points that you make. I'm sure they will be addressed in the not to distant future. I really think the Inspire platform is well ahead of others these days. They do need to pay more attention to the needs of pro users and feedback like yours is exactly what they need to take note of.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have 6 MR's, kind of similar to Sleepy, x8's, quads, just no hex's or octo's, and mine are all DIY except for Inspire. I have workable gimbals, but not the Gremsy or the Movi.

I concur 100% of what SleepyC is saying about the Inspire as compared to the rest of the MR reality. Repeat 100%. I have a love / hate relationship with it. I bought mine 53 weeks ago, but didn't get a working (new unit ) till mid June of last year. I haven't been flying much because of the battery issues in cold weather and have been busy. After going through all the B.S. of updating firmware 6 or so weeks ago, it sat. Last Saturday tried to fly, no signal from the x3 camera. This is where most of the problems were on my original inspire. I have been so paranoid, this x3 camera has not been off the Inspire since I got it.

I now have 7 batteries, 3 new ones that haven't been flown because of this down time. Recycling ever 10 flights, being afraid to take off after you shut down after just a few minutes of flight. Frustration and extra stress (I fly a lot over water) is the norm. But, it's easy to haul around, get in the air, and handles the wind pretty good for a medium size quad. The hd preview is a huge plus.

I am a hobbyist who has gotten carried away with all this MR stuff. If they would sell parts and allow us to fix them ourselves, if they would let us turn off the friggin smart battery, and quit updating the app or let us go back a few versions, it would help.

If the Black Magic Micro camera lives up to it's billing and one of my larger quads gets me the type of footage I'm looking for, I am not sure what I will do with the Inspire. It's fun, easy, but the biggest pain in the butt I've ever dealt with.

Probably in my case, if DJI decides I have to pay for this last repair, as the original purchase was off warranty by a few days, I'll have had enough.

For anybody thinking about an Inspire, read SleepyC's post. It's 100% what happens when you own one. I can't say to the x5 as I'd never buy a high end camera from DJI until I see others operate it without issues, which the way DJI operates, as historically, DJI has never release an MR without issues for a long long time.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Those are all very valid points that you make. I'm sure they will be addressed in the not to distant future. I really think the Inspire platform is well ahead of others these days. They do need to pay more attention to the needs of pro users and feedback like yours is exactly what they need to take note of.

Like I said the Hardware is insamely good WHEN IT WORKS. the ability to focus the cam from your ipad, the ablity in single op mode to put your finger on your subject and follow it with your hand is something I'd never thought I'd see. BUT until they sort out these annoying problems, its really not a "go to " rig.