DJI Ground Station question(s)

photobobga

With all the latest posts about the accuracy of the Ground Station I have two questions that will influence my decision to purchase two of of these.

1. How does it handle terrain that changes elevation during the flight. If I program three waypoints over a hilly area how can I prevent the MC from slamming into a hill? Can it be programmed to follow the elevation?

2. While traveling from one waypoint to another can I have the MC face a preprogrammed direction other than the travel path... after it reaches the next waypoint can I reprogram and new direction the MC will face while traveling to the second waypoint, and so on...

Thank you for your possible reply,

Bob

farmerfred

I am still testing mine but I've had some issues with altitude. It doesn't appear to compensate for terrain so as the ground rises below it my f550 get too close!
Im not certain but I believe altitude is GPS altitude so it's relative to your home point.

and yes I believe you can keep a set heading as you jump between waypoints.

kloner

Aerial DP
You are able to set the elevation and it has a ground collision avoidance warning if it thinks it'll hit so that does two things, makes it touchy to program and it leaves it unable to program in proximity like i'm used to.....down low.....

this is the part that made it hard for us to use for what we were doing. When the craft is underway it'll only face into the direction of travel or forward. if you do a bank turn it banks towards the next way point. if you let it stop, you can tell it to face any direction while it's stopped then it'll turn back with it's face into the wind and travel. we needed it to face a direction during travel but will mitigate it by using a z axis on the payload, ie 3rd axis kinda thing.

I've only messed with mk24, if i was gonna do it again i'd go with mk900...... i'd avoid the ipad one, not much range like the 900 can allow. i run mine from a mac book with windows on bootloader so i still get to use apple gear, it's just more powerfull and refined

farmerfred

Had a crash today with my F550 due to the IOS ground station… Its causing me issues as the heights seem to change. It doesn't hold the height set at the first waypoint!! It slowly defends and mine eventually contacted the ground and rolled over! I can't see any settings to choose between altitude and height above home waypoint?!

Insight Aerials

Had a crash today with my F550 due to the IOS ground station… Its causing me issues as the heights seem to change. It doesn't hold the height set at the first waypoint!! It slowly defends and mine eventually contacted the ground and rolled over! I can't see any settings to choose between altitude and height above home waypoint?!

You should be able to set elevation for each waypoint. So if waypoint 1 is at 100 feet and waypoint 2 is at 150 feet due to elevation change. You should be able to set waypoint 2 to 150 feet and it should increase it's elevation between the two waypoints. If it the elevation change is rapid you need to set another waypoint in between waypoint 1 and waypoint 2 to compensate for the rapid elevation change sooner. At least this is my understanding.

photobobga

Insight Aerials, good information, as far as changing the multirotor so that is can be pointing to a different heading while flying to a waypoint... is that possible?

You are able to set the elevation and it has a ground collision avoidance warning if it thinks it'll hit so that does two things, makes it touchy to program and it leaves it unable to program in proximity like i'm used to.....down low.....

this is the part that made it hard for us to use for what we were doing. When the craft is underway it'll only face into the direction of travel or forward. if you do a bank turn it banks towards the next way point. if you let it stop, you can tell it to face any direction while it's stopped then it'll turn back with it's face into the wind and travel. we needed it to face a direction during travel but will mitigate it by using a z axis on the payload, ie 3rd axis kinda thing.

I've only messed with mk24, if i was gonna do it again i'd go with mk900...... i'd avoid the ipad one, not much range like the 900 can allow. i run mine from a mac book with windows on bootloader so i still get to use apple gear, it's just more powerfull and refined

Just an FYI the 900mhz version is no longer being made by DJI only the 2.4 if you want a 900mhz version you need to find a supplier who still has stock... once they are gone they are gone!.

nickedw

RPQ-S qualified
Insight Aerials, good information, as far as changing the multirotor so that is can be pointing to a different heading while flying to a waypoint... is that possible?
not in any usable way. you choose between banking on turns, or stop and turn. In stop and turn you can specify an angle, which is relative to North and points the aircraft in that direction, albeit abruptly.

With a Z15, turn the gimbal, and note the angle on the OSD to make it repeatable, is how I do this.

Nick

nickedw

RPQ-S qualified
...... i'd avoid the ipad one, not much range like the 900 can allow. i run mine from a mac book with windows on bootloader so i still get to use apple gear, it's just more powerfull and refined

Don't understand your iPad range point here? are you saying the 900MHz version has more range the the 2.4GHz version? if so, OK, I can't comment as the 2.4GHz version is the only one allowable in the UK.
Or are you talking about the bluetooth iPad connection? which does indeed have limited range between the iPad and 2.4GHZ data link on the ground but has no bearing on the range of the datalink to the aircraft, which is the same if you are using a laptop or iPad as a controller.

Nick