Dji datalink

khardi12volt

http://antimedia.no/
No it does not show any com port in the window next to the connect button. It`s all withe, and when i hit the "arrow" for more options (more com port`s to choose from) (scroll down meny), there isn`t any com ports to choose from.

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Well, that's the issue.
I'm not the most PC smart guy, but without the COM port in the window, you will not be able to connect.
I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried a system restart with the link attached?
Also Try this:
Start>Devices & Printers>Add a printer>add a local printer>Use an existing port> are any COM ports showing?
If not Windows 7 needs to have one created to display them.
Try:
Start>Devices & Printers>Add a printer>add a local printer>Create a port>local port> Name it COM12 & assign it a generic printer.
Reboot.
Check again:
Start>Devices & Printers>Add a printer>add a local printer>Use an existing port> are any COM ports showing?
I know many who have issues in Windows 7 with the ports not showing in device manager.
You may want to google this.
Once you can see the COM ports in device manager, I bet groundstation will work.

Dale UK

Hi khardi12volt

your handshake problem is definitely to do with your Ground Station USB module not being recognised by Windows and not the Ground Station software. The GS software will automatically pick up your GS USB module if Windows has recognised it, loaded the drivers for it and it's switched on.

Go on to the DJI blue menu (the one that comes up when you click 'autorun.exe' on the DJI Disk) and click on 'Install GS Radio USB Driver'. Let it run and after a minute or two it will say something like .....'unistall driver and components' - answer yes to that and wait for it to un-install drivers. Re-book PC and do exactly the same thing again - this will re-install the driver.

If immediately you receive a message like 'this programme may not have installed correctly due to compatibility' - 'click here to re-install' ...... if you receive this message, say 'yes' to it and allow it to install it again by itself.

Try that and let me know what happens?

Dale UK

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Dale UK

i have been having issues with the connect button being greyed out. GE works and I do have a com port. Could you let me know what the GS Rx device is called in you device manager please, mine comes up with "prolific USB device"

i have no entries relating to google in the host file and GE works in IE as well as The GS

any thoughts would be great fully appreciated :)

Hi khardi12volt

your handshake problem is definitely to do with your Ground Station USB module not being recognised by Windows and not the Ground Station software. The GS software will automatically pick up your GS USB module if Windows has recognised it, loaded the drivers for it and it's switched on.

Go on to the DJI blue menu (the one that comes up when you click 'autorun.exe' on the DJI Disk) and click on 'Install GS Radio USB Driver'. Let it run and after a minute or two it will say something like .....'unistall driver and components' - answer yes to that and wait for it to un-install drivers. Re-book PC and do exactly the same thing again - this will re-install the driver.

If immediately you receive a message like 'this programme may not have installed correctly due to compatibility' - 'click here to re-install' ...... if you receive this message, say 'yes' to it and allow it to install it again by itself.

Try that and let me know what happens?

Dale UK

shco1t

Hi, had the same problem multirotorcraftuk all you do is
go to c: drive
then windows folder
then system32
then etc
then host and pull it on to your desktop then open it with wordpad go right to the bottom of the document and it will say something like google.kh and uder dji*** delete the google reference and then save at the top left close it drag it back to where it was retsart the pc and it should work.
Hope this help's as i had that exact problem for a while.

Hi Shco1t

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I have no entry's for google or DJi in the hosts file. It's mystery. The Rx makes the right noise when connected and the GS software sees it on com 4. And the Rx is listed as a "prolific USB device" on COM4 it's a puzzle. Google earth works fine in IE and the GS software. .Net 3.5 SP1 is in.

Whats your Rx called in device manager?

Hi, had the same problem multirotorcraftuk all you do is
go to c: drive
then windows folder
then system32
then etc
then host and pull it on to your desktop then open it with wordpad go right to the bottom of the document and it will say something like google.kh and uder dji*** delete the google reference and then save at the top left close it drag it back to where it was retsart the pc and it should work.
Hope this help's as i had that exact problem for a while.

shco1t

Make sure you drag the host file onto your desktop and open with wordpad scroll to the very bottom of the doc modify save ,drag back to the same place then restart :I missed the google entry the first few times i tried it, it worked on both my laptops and the symptoms were the same, and it the same device name .
Hope you get it going.

Dale UK

Hi Multi

PM me your email address and I'll send you a file that you can run - might fix your problem.

Dale UK

Hi Shco1t

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I have no entry's for google or DJi in the hosts file. It's mystery. The Rx makes the right noise when connected and the GS software sees it on com 4. And the Rx is listed as a "prolific USB device" on COM4 it's a puzzle. Google earth works fine in IE and the GS software. .Net 3.5 SP1 is in.

khardi12volt

http://antimedia.no/
Hi,

Happy new year!

I just got back to the office, and I've finally gotten the DJI data link to work. I followed the advice of Andrew and Dale UK. The strange thing is that it didn`t work right away. I had to reboot a few times with the datalink connected. But it works now.

Thanks Andrew and Dale UK!

Airvision

Hi Multi,
I have the same problem you had.

Did you resolve?

Thanks for all information you can give me.

Hi Shco1t

Cletus

Hi folks, new to this forum but not at all new to R/C.
FWIW The Datalink software install seems to screw with Google Earth.
I think it inherently tries (unsuccessfully) to link with a server in China. I caught my a$$ with this for hours when I first did the setup before coming across this "patch" on another forum.
Then, one mouse-click and problem solved.
Download it here: http://www.flyingcameras.ca/download..._djigs_fix.zip

Airvision

Hi Cletus,
thank you very much!!!!

I will try ;)

Hi folks, new to this forum but not at all new to R/C.
FWIW The Datalink software install seems to screw with Google Earth.
I think it inherently tries (unsuccessfully) to link with a server in China. I caught my a$$ with this for hours when I first did the setup before coming across this "patch" on another forum.
Then, one mouse-click and problem solved.
Download it here: http://www.flyingcameras.ca/download..._djigs_fix.zip

Cletus

Many happy returns! ....hope it helps!

Here's a few pics of my latest project (PROJECT EQUINOX):

DSC_0024_zps8e7f2d93.jpg

attachment-3740971673_zps6be1ca5d.jpeg

IMG-20130126-WA0001-1_zps8e8280d6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHF4Du9K_tc&feature=share&list=UUw2fWOo8-iEjkzmUknfia7w

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1uW-b77HU&feature=share&list=UUw2fWOo8-iEjkzmUknfia7w

[/URL]

Cletus

Hey Guys, Been playing with DJI in simulation mode and can invoke Keyboard control but not Joystick control.
I can go in and select the joystick, configure it and calibrate it. I just cannot invoke joystick control (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro).
Any Ideas???

ToughbookDJI_zps31e715de.jpg

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator

I had a very similar problem until last night. Two things I did: 1, uninstall the Google Earth plug in, disconnect yourself from the internet and then reinstall the plug in direct from the CD (this will make sure that it gets the right version of the plug in). 2, make sure you run GS as an administrator. To do this, right click on the GS icon and then click properties, you should then see a check box for running as admin. Hope this helps.

Cletus

Went out to try my new 5-waypoint upgrade this afternoon:
Dammit! ......Just BURNED two OS motors! loused up some props, broke the GPS mast and made at least three "Crop Circles" tearing-up some geotextile on our new runway
BangHead.gif

Workflow:
1) Start PC and connect Datalink
2) Power-on TX
3) Power-up multicopter (fresh charged battery packs)
4) Connect Datalink and verify handshake
5) Open editor and setup 5-waypoints (nothing complex, a small square pattern) on a zoomed-in map of the area
6) Upload to aircraft successfully (GO turned red)
7) double checked that enough Satellites were received (purple flashes)
8) Clicked on GO

The motors spooled up and a red notice appeared THE AIRCRAFT IS TAKING OFF, SET THROTTLE TO 50% ....but the aircraft DID NOT leave the ground.

I attempted to abort and regain control of the multicopter by flicking to MANUAL then back to GPS ATTI .....I had throttle control via the TX but could not shut-down the motors.
To verify that I did have TX control I applied just a little power, the aircraft flipped over on the runway and I COULD NOT shut down the motors. Rushed over to pull battery leads and by the time I got to it, two motors had smoked, as their props were jammed-up on the ground busy tearing-up the geotextile.

The hard part is I HAVE NO IDEA what went wrong
confused.gif

Right now, just tired, frustrated and depressed! .....scared ****-less to try this again
wow2.gif

.....I guess I will be ordering two more motors from Tower Hobbies and starting again!

Thing is, this thing flew perfectly Sunday morning with me flying and with "Click Go"]

I read the log file and can't see anything daffy there.

here is the log:
[ 5:07:12 PM Wednesday, February 20, 2013 ] : Succeed start DJI Ground Station v4.
[ 5:07:18 PM Wednesday, February 20, 2013 ] : Succeed initiate Google Earth Plugin.
[ 5:07:21 PM Wednesday, February 20, 2013 ] : init usb to serial comm success!
[ 5:08:30 PM Wednesday, February 20, 2013 ] : Upload Success
[ 5:08:58 PM Wednesday, February 20, 2013 ] : Begin Fly

All thoughts and suggestions very much appreciated.

Cletus

Autopsy of the incident:
Damage:
2 OS Motors, 2 props, DJI GPS/Compass CF Tower.

Chatted with Chris this morning and when I looked at the TX during the conversation, the throttle trim was at mid. This would account for my not being able to shut down when I took over the control function with the TX.

Did some experiments this afternoon:
Test 1
Disconnected the burnt motors.
TX throttle trim down
Setup a simple 5-waypoint scenario similar to yesterday's mission
Uploaded it and hit GO.
The motors spooled right up as if at takeoff RPM
Advanced throttle to 50% as per screen instruction
Motors running as if in flight
Flight mode SW to MANUAL and back to GPS ATTI and I regained control at the TX
Throttle all the way down and the motors shut down.

NOTE TO SELF: IF I HAD MY TRIM DOWN YESTERDAY I COULD HAVE SAVED TWO EXPENSIVE MOTORS!

Test 2
Disconnected the burnt motors.
TX throttle trim Mid
Setup a simple 5-waypoint scenario similar to yesterday's mission
Uploaded it and hit GO.
The motors spooled right up as if at takeoff RPM.
Advanced throttle to 50% as per screen instruction
Motors running as if in flight
Flight mode SW to Manual and back to GPS Atti and I regained control at the TX
Throttle all the way down and the motors DID NOT shut down.

BTW
a) Just switching flight mode from GPS ATTI to ATTI transfers control to the TX …..no need to switch to MANUAL.
b) In all cases the LED flashes Cyan immediately before takeoff, indicating the controller has registered the Home position. This is a function implemented since firmware upgrade Ver 5.15

Tried “One Touch Takeoff” also using the above conditions …..same results.

Looks like I will be modifying my Checklist and Workflow accordingly.

Still no idea why it did not takeoff at GO yesterday …but, if the damned trim was down, I would have been able to shut-down and have another go at it.
facepalm_smiley.gif