- WK-M (firmware 5.06)
- AeroXcraft landing gear and GoPro gimbal
- DJI 2212/920 motrs
- Graupners 10x5
- Lawmate 1,3Ghz 1W
- EzUHF 8ch RX (awaiting EzOSD)
- 2 x Turnigy 4S 5000mah 25-35 C

AUW is 3100g (ca. 6.8 lb.)

This copter is flying very nice, but after landing (today ambient temperature was ca. 20 deg. C) I've noticed, that motor are quite hot. Not as hot that I couldn't hold it, but far above ambient.

GGoodrum is flying even heavier setups with the same engines: "My F550 is a beast at 8lb 4.9oz/3766g, with our new TP550-NX 2-axis gimbal, the integrated landing gear, a NEX-5N/16mm lens combo and two 4s-3300 packs. I can fly for 10 minutes with this setup, and the motors barely get above ambient, which today was in the low 80s."

Do you think this is unsafe to fly such a heavy setup? Should I change motors? According to eCalc max motor current is 5A above motor limit.

Tahoe Ed

I would loose one of the lipos. 2x4S 5000mAh lipos are way overkill and very heavy for the motors. Plus, DJI recommends that you use 8" props with 4S and 3S with 10"

EgonW3

My F450 was flying AUW 1880g so 10% less per motor and the motors were cold. It was also flying with Graupners 10x5 and 1 x 4S 5000mAh.

meme

I am with Ed, you carry a lot of lipos.
Wich motors are hot? All of them? in my case i had 2 hot motors on the F550, (with Graupners and with Stock Props) after replacing the Motors with new ones Temp was ok.

-meme

EgonW3

All of them are equally hot.
I think I'll buy boom extenders to fit 12x5 Xoars and replace DJI motors with AXI 2814/22 because I like 15min flight time.
But still I cant't understand why GGoodrum had the same motors barely above ambient flying 3766g AUW setup...

We flew the stock motors at 8.5lbs for over 2 months at around 160 to 200 degrees F without issue.
The motors are now pink instead of red and they still work perfect with smooth bearings and all.
Very impressive but not recomended.

EgonW3

I've just added EzOSD with current sensor and downgraded my WK-M firmware to 5.02. Now it flies OK and motors are cold. While hovering total current is ca 37A, so ca 6,2A per motor - far below limit of this motor. :)