dialing it in

kloner

Aerial DP
So i've had a heck of a time understanding balancing and just how balanced is good enough. sure makes a difference in how they fly when you got em absolutely perfect. after this flight i found one more prop that was off just a hair. I spent too much time screwing with these apc props, there not balanced side to side like by alot, but they are now. Still a little jello on descent that i think will be gone when i try it this morning. the going up is smooth as silk. the onbord camera has that wasp sound going on in it now instead of hearing one motor

This is the dji motors with 10x5 and 5000 mah of 4s

the first descent i let off the throttle too much, then on it got pretty stable. gains are at 120-120-130-90 and atti is 80

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
Man, guess i finally get the prop balancing thing. If anybody's got any gain tuning advice, i'm all ears. Seems like it gets more aileron bobble than elevator, but from the ground, it seems pretty dialed in. This had a little wind up top, was trying to blow it away when i got about half way up. I'm liking this hero2 a lot more than my hero,,,,,, the low light and the light sensor are alot better

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisG

Hi there,

I really like my Hero2, it works great even if it's almost Dark.

I too have been chasing a bit of "jello" on my Hero2/flamewheel fpv rig.
Currently have velcro'd to the lower plate then a Velcro battery strap around it all to secure.
Found I was strapping it down too hard at first.

I have just balanced all of my Graupner 10x5s so I'm keen to test it out once it stops raining.

kloner

Aerial DP
This camera is bolted down tight. one thing i've noticed is once you got everything perfect, it starts getting to the nitty gritty like smooth bearings, oil in them bearings, etc. when you hold the leg and spin the motor, if you can feel it, it's not workin.

Thought those props came balanced? how much did you find needing changed? top flight type balancer?

They definately don't come fpv ready outta the box

ChrisG

Hi,

The props were fairly good but not perfect. I have a custom made billet Magnetic balancer for my pylon racing props that I use.... Very accurate.

I forgot to mention that I had 2 dud bearings in motors.. Only lasted 2-3 flights.
I think DJI put a little too much pre-load on them when assembling the motors, when they get hot/expand they start chewing the bearings.
Have a full set of high quality bearings on the way to try so I'll rebuild them the way if feel the should be setup a see if they last longer.

kloner

Aerial DP
just so it's on here, the bearings are 4mmx8mmx3mm boca has em in grade 7

i found the shafts in case any of your motors arent as straight as you want it, but you have to trim em down at twistedhobbies.com under 70 gram outrunner replacement shafts. there 4mm and have a c clip groove cut

once you bend the prop adapter, needs a new motor.

if you take all your props off and arm it, press your fingernail against the barrel and feel for true. i found spinning the barrel on the shaft on one made it way smoother, almost my best one.

also found when your balancing props, if the motors bearings are for sure good and a prop is a little out of balance, aside from seeing it in video, you can feel heat in the motor. it'll be hotter than the rest from shaking at 10k rpm. You start noticing the loud stops and the wasp in stereo starts happening more and more

Darn little thing is addicting