Dead Cat Conversion Kit for SK450 Overview

flitelab

I started a general overview and build of the HobbyKing Dead Cat Conversion Kit for the SK450 frame.

Some initial pics and link to more info and pics:
http://www.flitelab.com/Reviews/DeadCatConversionKitforSK450Overview.aspx

The frame comes packaged in a large zip lock bag and is composed of the two plates and the hardware kit fir the front turnbuckles. It should be noted that a complete SK450 frame kit is required to make use of this upgrade. Considering the price of the SK450 kit compared to this upgrade and what you get with it, it seems a bit overpriced, however in the big scheme of things you are still only talking around $37 for a complete frame in the end.
The quality of the plates are pretty good, well cut with no sharp edges, scratches, or misaligned holes. The G10 does seem a bit flexible although once assembled the frame seems fairly stuff overall.
The build goes together much the same as the SK450, simply screw on the 4 arms to the 2 plates. The turnbuckles then attach to the front via ball links to act as added support for the camera area. I chose to mount back ball links on the upper surface instead if the lower side as shown on the product page, thinking the angle would give it a bit more strength and hold. I'm not convinced this is going to provide a solid vibration free setup however, as it still has some flex and the turnbuckle linkages may cause some vibration since they are not a solid connection.
Assembled as per the product page the total weight was 432g, lighter than advertised at 460g.
As with the SK450, it does not seem to include mounting holes for any known common controller layouts, so you will need to either drill your own or use another means (Velcro, double sided foam tape, etc) to attach the flight controller.
The assembled frame is larger large in regards to the plates, compared to some other spyder style frames, which makes it easy for mounting gear but may add more profile that could be impacted by wind. Plenty of room between the two plates for ESCs and wiring harness or distribution board, and possibly a flight controller depending on its size and wiring layout.
More to follow as build progresses....

2012-12-03%25252016.44.39.jpg

2012-12-03%25252016.07.18.jpg

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
is that what HobbyKing is calling their clone of the TBS Discovery? interesting.

flitelab

Ya, but it isn't really a discovery clone since its using the SK450 arms not DJI and the size and layout is different.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
pretty close though, no? don't you think the sk450 looks a little familiar as well?

flitelab

There are a lot of frames that look much the same these days, at least its not a direct copy, like a lot of Chinese places are selling like they did for the TBS and HT-FPV clones, those are direct copies.

The SK450 is an Xaircraft clone I believe.

flitelab

Beyond them both being plastic arms, it really isn't a copy in my mind. Totally different shaped arms, not as high, removable feet, etc. I think it may have even been out before the DJI flame wheels but not sure now.

mailman35

i was getting ready to post an angry reply to the stupid dead flying quad cat. only to find something that is not a dead flying cat. :p

flitelab

i was getting ready to post an angry reply to the stupid dead flying quad cat. only to find something that is not a dead flying cat. :p

Ya not the best of names, but it is Hobby Kings, not mine :) I merely report the news I don't make it :p

kloner

Aerial DP
when i was getting my first quad this time last year xaircraft and dji had the same exact offering. now it looks alot different

theres a bunch of the exact same shape of tbs dicoveries like at goodluckbuy, etc. problem is they cost more and have zero pcb integration, not even power distro. last one i saw was over a hundred bucks, the real deal is only $75

just from what all i've messed with this far on different setups, looking at that front camera shelf i gotta think that looks like a shaking monster.

is the lipo suppose to go under the bottom plate or inbetween the frames?

flitelab

Ya my initial thoughts are that front camera plate is not going to be stiff enough, but will see when start flying. I'll post the results when I get it going.

Lipo would go under the bottom plate, there isn't enough height between the two plates, these are are much thinner than the DJI style.

As for the integrated PCB I cannot say I'm a fan of that type of design, more prone to vibration fatigue in the joints and traces can crack if flexed enough I prefer a wiring harness or power distro board separate from the frame itself personally.

ChrisViperM

I guess that's what HK was having in mind when giving their conversion kit a name: :tennis:

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
can tell you've never had/built/flown a disco

the benefits over your worries are so big i'd consider it a waste of thought..... thousands of flights, never a problem. never seen anything like that on the main thread either

i can garuntee that the 3 feet less wire and layout of the tbs will make it go further with less interference for not much more money....

the chineese sure got a way with words....... that's the dumbest name i've heard out of em yet.

flitelab

Not trying to argue the point, as I said it is personal preference is all. I've seen broken boards on Fyetech and DJI frames. I just prefer to not have traces in the frame. Not saying the TBS isn't great. I have probably over 15-20 builds of various frame types, all have some pros and cons and things I like and dislike. I also like to have no traces in the frame as it allows easier ways to bolt and mount addons with no worry of hitting a trace in the process, been people do that on DJI frames and short things out in the process not thinking first.

ChrisViperM

c'mon guys....flitelab is the hell of a nice guy.....why not just let him do what he's intended to do.....building that frame and telling us how it's doing in the air ??? :tennis:

Chris

flitelab

c'mon guys....flitelab is the hell of a nice guy.....why not just let him do what he's intended to do.....building that frame and telling us how it's doing in the air ??? :tennis:

Chris

Thanks. Was merely doing a build and review and sharing it. I do not make or sell this frame, I merely purchased it for a test build to see what it was like and posting my review for others. Is not intended as a comparison vs TBS or any other frame. As I said all frames can have pros and cons and not saying this is the best or worst frame :-\

kloner

Aerial DP
wasn't trying to bust your balls, in fact i put the pictures in 3 posts before actually posting them. he likes to chat, i'm sitting here waking up drinking coffee chatting back. I've never been a fan of any of the hk frames so i'll take my nose and head elsewhere. Good luck and have a fun build.

flitelab

No worries :) I'm not doing the build as fan/hater of HK, just doing a build as I wanted to see what the frame was like. It certainly isn't a high end frame, but don't think it was meant to be, more a basic FPV style beater. Not something I would carry and resell unless someone ask for a custom build on it specifically. I do like the SK450 frame as a good basic cheap beginner frame, so wanted to see what this upgrade kit offered for it.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Does any one know if this kit comes with a dead cat or do I have to supply my own? What works better with naza, calico or persian?