Data-Link with MacBook

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi has one of you successfully used the data link on a MacBook ? I am constant getting USB errors that the device is draining too much power.

Boris

Topper

Hi Boris,

I use the 2.4 GHz data link and waypoints on my MacBook Pro with Parallels 7 (Win XP virtual machine) without any issues.

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
I use bootcamp with my F450 Naza and have noticed some issues in the Naza Assistant. When I am setting up my quad a lot of the on-screen graphics that would normally show rotor direction, etc don't appear at all. Not sure if this is normal but I just chalk it up to software incompatibility.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Strange thing is my 900 MHz dosent work on my MacBook or big macpro tower. Strange bought an external USB hub today active 2.5 a let's see if it works.

Boris

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi has one of you successfully used the data link on a MacBook ? I am constant getting USB errors that the device is draining too much power.

Boris

Aye up Boris just use a dual USB connector thingymabob.. that will over come the draw on a single USB port on the mac.

Dave

janoots2

I run windows 7 through boot camp and haven't had any issues.
My Macbook is about 6 years old though, maxed out the OS spec by running 10.6.8 (and still as fast as the day I bought it! :)) 1.83 Intel Core duo, 1GB ram. I tried running parallels first, but didn't prefer it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

There was some discussion about porting View/Click and Go/Waypoints to the Mac OS. That was several months ago and I have not seen anything else about it since. it would be nice to see that happen. It is a pain to have to tote a netbook around just for my MR's.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I couldnt bring myself to buy a new PC for just the heli so I bought a Macbook pro assuming I could make this work but there is no usb connectivity at all. I am using Virtual box and I installed the extension set that is supposed to make the usb work amongst many other things. any ideas on how to make this work? I will check another USB device in the meantime.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Apparently the conflict is that OS X Lion sees the USB device and wants to use it before allowing the virtualization software to access it. I thought I had figured it out by pluggin in the DJI unit first and adding a filter for that specific device but no go. I am coming to the conclusion that Virtual Box will not allow this. If I use boot camp i think it will work since the resource is not used by two operating systems simultaneously. we even found the direct usb device name in terminal but decided not to try and stop it as just running a different virtualization software would probably be easier.

I'm still curious though if anyone has made virtual box work with XP on Lion.

Tahoe Ed

The only way that I know that it will work is to install a program like Parallels or Boot Camp then install Windows within that program. You can now dual boot. I could never bring myself to expose my Mac to the frailties of the PC. It never made any sense to me. That is why I bought a cheap netbook with Windows XP. It works well for what I use it for. But it only has a flash drive with less memory than my iPhone. I really have to be careful with what I load.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
What sucks is that you can no longer (easily) load XP on lion's bootcamp. They make you use Windows 7! Always something. So the question is do I get parallels and run XP or do I get Windows 7 and run ot through bootcamp? I am gonna go for bootcamp as I think there is less potential for resource conflict if only 1 OS is running.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Mother F'er!!! This is pure hell ! I got windows 7 64 bit pro and after spending a half day installing it under bootcamp I see that DJI will only work with the 32 bit version. Christ!!! this is insanity. My head feels like it is going to pop. this is the same feeling I had before driving over my laptop with my truck and grinding it to a pulp. I basically bought an expensive macbook to NOT have a PC. now I have basically spent 6-8 hours giving my computer the equivalent of AIDS. Microsoft and DJI can go tongue punch each other's a-holes until they both taste the same BS they make everyone else taste in buying their products. ARGGGGG!! Now what? do i need to buy the WooChang 2 to get 64 bit compatibility?

janoots2

I'm running 32bit, because that's all my old MacBook processor can handle, but there is a download for the 64bit driver on DJI's website?

http://www.dji-innovations.com/minisite/index_en.html

Bootcamp is the way to go. Yeah, you have to reboot when you want to access windows, but the only thing I use windows for is my multicopter software and Mac's reboot so fast anyway. Parallels runs both windows and OSX at the same time too which made my machine slow, but yours could probably handle running both without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
man, THANKS! I hope that works as I have just spent way too much time on this. Should be spending time flying and playing with the heli, NOT windows!

My MacBook Pro is about 2 weeks old and I run Win 7 within Parallels and have no issues at all. I installed the 64 bit drivers first, then loaded the DJI software and all works as it should.

Bill

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
do you guys connect both USB plugs or just one into you mac books. My Modem once both USB plug are connected turn off and OSX screems with a power over load of the USB ports.
Now i tried a USB hub with external power and the same thing happens. Only one USB port plug in and it seems to work. So I am a little confused if i need both or not etc.

Boris

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just got mine to work with the 64 bit driver (thanks janoots). I only need to plug into 1 USB and all is fine. I am running Lion on a 13" MBP i5 latest model.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
so finally working connect their and no more USB power warnings etc. Just checked out the instrument board and the horizon thingy. I am seeing movement in the horizon although the bird is standing rock solid on my terrace are you guys experiencing similar ?

Thanks

Boris