Dangerous DJI WKM software bug

In the following situation:

1. Gimbal Switch is set OFF ( check box is OFF on Gimbal window from software assistant)
2. In motor mixer window 8 motor configuration is checked, then DEFAULT button is clicked.

Resulting in

Motor connected to F1 and F2 start spinning !

So, while you and working to motor mixer and you have the bad idea to put everything to DEFAULT to start fresh, you may be injured by propellers connected to F1 and F2. And all of this will happen with the Gimbal switch turned OFF.

I know the manual says do not work with propellers mounted, but you can't disconnect 24 cables from motors or dismantle 8 propeller every time you just do some fine tunings. And all of this happens when you expect that if the Gimbal Stab Switch is turned OFF, than OFF really means OFF not ON.

Dear DJI geeks, please don't tell me this is not a bug and and sometimes OFF could mean ON in China.

You can see experiment it in the movie link bellow.

Firmware version is 5.02. I wonder if this is the same in 5.04 or 5.06 new versions. If you have firmware version 5.04 or 5.06 and you can test it, please share the results here.

If you test this, be sure you don't have propellers mounted to engine 7 and 8 !!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vojec

Yes I notice that too when setup my octo. It scare me out when press default on assist software on firmware update. On my luck take off props before do software adjustments...

One of our colleagues was badly cut because of this software flaw. So, sharing this is important before other accidents could happen. We expect DJI to fix it ASAP with with a new firmware.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I have had so many wired situations for example, usb to picloc to BEC, BEC and Herkules hooked up to same Lipo cable one of the motors spinning up. Of coarse not a dangerous situation since the USB power output is limited, but still scary one if a prop starts to spin up. The only safe way on the bench will always be to take of the props.

I used to spin up the motors with props on to test vibrations etc. Since a fuse bursted for no apparent reason in my graupner MX22 and this would have resulted in a failsafe routine if was just doing my tests, I regularly take of the props.

A possible and additional fix could also be a warning that when switching anything in the mixer tab or setting everything to default this can only be done if you confirm and you are warned once more that your props should be off.

Boris

A possible and additional fix could also be a warning that when switching anything in the mixer tab or setting everything to default this can only be done if you confirm and you are warned once more that your props should be off.Boris

Indeed a additional warning to motor mixer would be very good. Also i would put the OFF / ON of the Gimbal correlated automatically with 8 motors configurations, i mean if you switch from 8 to 6 or 4 or you click Default, the gimbal switch to be put to OFF automatically.

But, here we have a serious flaw because the gimbal switch is set OFF and you trust the software that it's OFF, but this switch is always ON, even is set to OFF, which is clearly a sloppy work of a programmer and the switch does NOT work as it suppose to work. As i said DJI needs to correct this error ASAP.

Topper

Hi,
just as a warning in FW 5.12a, pressing default on the mix page cause engines to start on full thr. on 2 flat Okto's. Both Maytech ESC's one V1 other V2 Pro. One with PPM other with traditional RX
I have reported that back to DJI.

Rgds Topper

Tahoe Ed

If you have a WKM purchased before 2/1/12 you need to contact DJI concerning the outputs of F1 and F2 on an Octo. There is an issue with that MC. They posted a video on how to check for the problem on their YouTube channel. I have already received a replacement unit from them for this problem.

ChrisViperM

But wasn't the problem with F1 and F2 on some WKM units due to false signals coming to these ports when you connect motors (Oktocopters)...? I guess this was due to an internal hardware flaw, but the spinning up sounds more like a software problem.
Mihnea de Vries should send this thread/video to DJI and urge them to take action.