Crash into crowd

Vortex

Unreal.....This sort of irresponsible flying over people is going to lead to a lot more restrictions in the future!!

djneils98

sooner or later an innocent bystander is going to get killed by a multirotor because of idiots like this and then what?

janoots2

All of these videos could have been avoided if these these idiot operators followed the simple golden rule: Don't fly over people and ESPECIALLY crowds! (Except for the bride/groom video...lets keep that in phantom land). How hard is it to say NO! We are not children flying toys, but adults who should be able to make rational decisions and if you can't, do us all a favor, put down your TX and sell your gear, NOW!

rotary65

Flying such a large and heavy Multirotor over such a dense crowd. There's no way to make that safe. It's amazing though; no serious injuries, apparently.

Smaller and lighter would be better, but no less damaging to the public perception.

Dewster

My Y6 weighed just shy of seven pounds. After crashing my first flat hexa (which was about the same weight), I refused to fly over people, cars, etc. My first crash put a nasty taste in my mouth. Thinking about seven pounds dropping out of the sky onto someone would make me sick. The thought certainly takes the fun out flying these things.

I certainly learn something new after each crash:

Props...quality over the material. Just because it's carbon fiber doesn't mean they won't snap. Look at the contruction of the prop.

Battery. Putting too much on a flight battery (FPV camera, power hungry transmitter etc.) will lead to a rapid voltage drop. Think of it as a sudden heart attack. We keep adding so much to the flight batteries that they can't keep the power supply to maintain flight.

Plug in speed controllers: make sure those wires are in tight and don't come loose.

Diversity receiver: avoids interference in radio congested areas.

I've been in Via Catalana, and it's literally a canyon of buildings. Definitely not a place for GPS flight, if that were the case. Flying over a crowd in those interference-heavy places, I have to agree, not smart.

globalwad

Are these machines really that unreliable? I often see some members claiming only a fool would fly over people, or water, near cars, etc. And I certainly agree that the safest route is to not, but then again it still not safe. 100% safe would be not plugging in the battery and to watch it sitting there. Anything past that is a risk of some degree.
Maybe they really are just inherently unsafe as aerial machines. But you usually don't hear people claiming that a full scale helicopter pilot was foolish for flying over the same areas if something happens to go wrong. Who knows, maybe it's just the easy availability of these products that is the real danger. Every billybob out there can go buy one and fly it.
I think I just answered my own question...

FlyGirl

Are these machines really that unreliable? I often see some members claiming only a fool would fly over people, or water, near cars, etc. And I certainly agree that the safest route is to not, but then again it still not safe. 100% safe would be not plugging in the battery and to watch it sitting there. Anything past that is a risk of some degree.
Maybe they really are just inherently unsafe as aerial machines. But you usually don't hear people claiming that a full scale helicopter pilot was foolish for flying over the same areas if something happens to go wrong. Who knows, maybe it's just the easy availability of these products that is the real danger. Every billybob out there can go buy one and fly it.
I think I just answered my own question...

I think you did too... LOL! It is also true what you said earlier. They aren't 100% reliable. Parts fail as well as the operators. A motor goes bad. An ESC gives up the ghost. A FC gets a glitch. A pilot flies past the battery warning to get just a few more seconds. The old Murphy's Law still exists even though it has been significantly minimized IMO. I will say that so far after having my DJI 450 with NAZA-M Lite/GPS for two months I have never had an issue or a bobble with it or hit the ground hard. I did have one instance, my fault, where on a descent the balance lead floated up into the prop arc and chipped one of the props. It still kept flying, in fact all it did was cause jello. The balance leads now get tied down before flying. ;)

Str8 Up

Most are flying hobby grade components built under minimal quality standards. I have over 30 years professional RC experience and until a month ago hadn't had a crash in 10 years with an AP rig and I won't fly over crowds, ever, and I have a lot of faith in my equipment and skills. It is not about the thousand times it works well...it's about the one time your over a small child and it doesn't. Plus you simply don't have the right to put others at risk without their permission, period!

The real problem is veterans know better and don't fly over crowds. Newbies see others who do and think it's acceptable practice. As more and more do it, the exposure to risk increases and more accidents happen. Eventually public outcry will result in total banning of all RC flying where most do it now. Not really worth it if you think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Most are flying hobby grade components built under minimal quality standards. I have over 30 years professional RC experience and until a month ago hadn't had a crash in 10 years with an AP rig and I won't fly over crowds, ever, and I have a lot of faith in my equipment and skills. It is not about the thousand times it works well...it's about the one time your over a small child and it doesn't. Plus you simply don't have the right to put others at risk without their permission, period!

The real problem is veterans know better and don't fly over crowds. Newbies see others who do and think it's acceptable practice. As more and more do it, the exposure to risk increases and more accidents happen. Eventually public outcry will result in total banning of all RC flying where most do it now. Not really worth it if you think about it.

Totally agree, and although I'm no veteran in this stuff, 3 years has taught me one thing... RESPECT. I have to respect the fact that no matter how much skill I believe I have (I consider myself as a reasonable pilot) I cannot trust both my skills (only takes an error of judgement), I cannot trust my equipment (top quality radio, flight controllers and electrics. Once people respect that failure (be it pilot error or electronic) things can go wrong. I never fly where I cannot crash. With that said, I now have hundreds of flights without a crash. I believe this is due to risk assessing and preflight checks.