Coming soon Zenmuse gimbal

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
wow, it is very fast and agile, pretty remarkable actually. are they saying what it'll cost?
what's the point of advancing the gimbal beyond the FC that still has control issues in the wind though?

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
wow, it is very fast and agile, pretty remarkable actually.
what's the point of advancing the gimbal beyond the FC that still has control issues in the wind though?

Two things come to mind, one being with that gimbal it doesn't really matter what the frame it's attached to is doing and the other that you can bet their frame/motor/ESC combo won't be nearly as twitchy as other large hex and even if it does have a few small tics it won't matter. What will matter is the price, and knowing DJI's pricing model the complete kit won't be cheap.

Look for stepper motors to be the method of choice for gimbal stabilization once other companies get with the program, DJI will be the first, they won't be the only.

Ken

broadwing

IT is fully independed controlled, not by the FC :)
So it can compensated unstable platforms (not only multirotors) of any type or brand.
It works very fast, smooth and accurate.

rgds
koos

www.broadwing.eu

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
well with this gimbal it could be that their strategy is finally smoothened out. Their Fc tends to correct harshly to keep position at any costs making it less fun with the given gimbals and a cam on in the wind.
But if the Zen Gimbal can correct this:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzA2MTcyNzY0.html

Than it looks like a good setup, probably game changing setup !

Boris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Boris,
I'm very curious to see what DJI's complete offering will look like. I've got a ton of time and money in my own camera gimbal and I"m very happy with it but, from what I've seen with my MK's, a steady wind like the fans in the video isn't the problem, it's unsteady or gusting winds. I've had very stable GPS performance in up to 26 mph winds at about 200 ft while also shooting photos but a gusty day can be a challenge as the FC sets itself against a gust and then overcorrects as the gust subsides leaving me to have to manually stabilize it again.
This is all very exciting to see as it continues to evolve.
Bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Boris,
I'm very curious to see what DJI's complete offering will look like. I've got a ton of time and money in my own camera gimbal and I"m very happy with it but, from what I've seen with my MK's, a steady wind like the fans in the video isn't the problem, it's unsteady or gusting winds. I've had very stable GPS performance in up to 26 mph winds at about 200 ft while also shooting photos but a gusty day can be a challenge as the FC sets itself against a gust and then overcorrects as the gust subsides leaving me to have to manually stabilize it again.
This is all very exciting to see as it continues to evolve.
Bart

Japp i am totally with you on this, it will have to proof itself in different conditions and eventually one big question is also maintenance. Just thinking about the gimbal in combo with the s800 frame not really 360 degree two man operation friendly. Either the landing gear has to be retraceable at some point, don't think that there ever will be a landing gear attached to the gimbal itself similar like the other gimbal 306 solutions. I am a little worried about the size cams that will fit on ! Hard to tell on the vid but canons 7d 5d etc seem to be out of the game !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Yes Boris,

For 5D and 7D other model. This is only for compact type of camera's.

rgds
Koos

Hi Koos,

so compact camera version will come out at the beginning, for nex5 nex7 etc. GH2 probably out of the game ? do you know ?

Thanks

Boris

broadwing

Boris, Yes.
Nex 5/7 goes good. That was demonstrated with 16 mm lens, so light and short!!
We understood, verbal, that GH2 would also go in this mount. I think that that will be the maximum for this model.
The demo was with prototype so might change from production model.

rgds
Koos

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Koos

Did they show you the on board video from the cam on it ? That would really be interesting !

Boris

DennyR

DJI have done their homework on that design. I know from experience that the imu has to be a stand alone device. When I tested dihedral thrust angles a while back I didn't like it but who knows what else they have done. It will become the one and only out of the box solution that works properly. They have the expertise the money and are determined to be the best. Nothing can stop them.

Siteline

DJI have done their homework on that design. I know from experience that the imu has to be a stand alone device. When I tested dihedral thrust angles a while back I didn't like it but who knows what else they have done. It will become the one and only out of the box solution that works properly. They have the expertise the money and are determined to be the best. Nothing can stop them.

I couldn't agree more!

llbr22

Boris, Yes.
Nex 5/7 goes good. That was demonstrated with 16 mm lens, so light and short!!
We understood, verbal, that GH2 would also go in this mount. I think that that will be the maximum for this model.
The demo was with prototype so might change from production model.

rgds
Koos

As long as my gh2 fits, I'll be happy ;-)

It looks fast, but the roll has drifted ~ 10 degrees during the course of just a 1 minute bench test! I guess putting a super gimbal is the only way to fix the wobbling problem lol

yeehaanow

Thanks for posting that video. Look pretty awesome. Does anyone know what he is demonstrating at the beginning? And when he changes something halfway through?
I wonder if they will sell the servos separate? Please please please!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am probably going to preorder one ! But guys there is still a long way for this thing to proof itself ! All we have up to now is on board videos were we have no clue if they are post processed or not. And outside view of the gimbal showing that it moves nicely and smooth what that means for the cam is another question. I just remember those first DJI WKM videos coming out were more or less everyone was impressed but eventually we had to find out that things work a little different than expected etc.

The none hobby servo approach is certainly interesting that other gimbals makers should adopt to as fast as possible, i hope ! Gimbal makers that have more multirotor background and think in these terms are still my future bet. But lets see when the gimbal is in customer hands, then we really know whats going on. On the one side I am happy to be hopping again that the gimbal is as good as advertised in the first vids we got to see on the other side I am not so pleased since this means they are going to stick to their strategy that the WKM wobbling in the slightest wind to keep a stiff autoleveling and position hold will not be changed !

Boris

@ Koos thanks, email coming back to you :)

Last edited by a moderator: