Choosing the right gimbal

Fat Corgi

Hello everyone out there,
I'm looking for a new brushless gimbal to suit the gh3/4 and BMPCC. Trying to avoid a zenmuse so that some camera/lens interchangeability is available. I know there have been plenty of these discussions before, but I'm hoping that there is a gimbal that people have or are using that suits these particular criteria. It will be lifted by a droidworx XM8, so nothing extraordinarily heavy. From browsing here and the inter web I've found a few examples, that may suit...

- Arris ZhaoYun (good weight, some camera interchangeability, decent reviews)
http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-zhaoyun-3-axis-brushless-gimbal.html
- BetView Canon 5D2/3/GH3 (maybe too heavy, a bit pricey)
http://www.kopterworx.com/shop/camera-gimbals-remote/brushless-gimbals/betview-canon-5d2-3-gh3-gimbal.html

Would love to hear any opinions out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

That BetView looks similar to the CAME-7000 gimbal that I just ordered from CAME-TV. I'll be mounting it to a SkyJib for use with a Panasonic G4. Although I think I'll leave the third axis off for now. I'm not that far from you if you want to have a look after I've tested it. I probably will post test results here in a week or two.

Fat Corgi

Thanks dazzab, I hadn't seen that one. What's your reasoning for leaving off the 3rd axis? Are you running this as a single operator? I like that they offer one without the AlexMos board. I'll be keen to see how you go with it. Can you let me know the weight of the gimbal with motors when you get it?

dazzab

Thanks dazzab, I hadn't seen that one. What's your reasoning for leaving off the 3rd axis? Are you running this as a single operator? I like that they offer one without the AlexMos board. I'll be keen to see how you go with it. Can you let me know the weight of the gimbal with motors when you get it?
I'm going to start without the third axis for a few reasons. I'm a single operator and I don't have retracts. So far I get fairly smooth panning just by using yaw. It will lower the weight and complexity. Lastly I think it will fit better without it as it will mount a bit higher without the third axis. Now, having said all this, I'm not saying that I won't use the third axis. It's just so easy to leave it off I thought I'd start with it set up a bit simpler and move up to the third axis later if I feel the need for it. I thought they had the weight listed but I don't see it now. I seem to recall it's about 1.7Kg all up but I'll weigh it when I get it.

Are you not interested in the AlexMos controller? This one comes with the new 32bit version. I have another smaller gimbal for my Sony NEX 6 (it's designed for a NEX 5 but Bluerex modified it for me) with 32 bit controller and it's just fantastic. We both have been very impressed with the X-Cam X140B although it's too small for your project. I'm flying that with a Aeronavics (Droidworx) XM6 hexa. It's very smooth and very accurate. Great price too.

I'm buying the CAME-7000 to replace a Copter Frames Aura gimbal. I was flying it with a heavy full frame DSLR and had mixed success with it. After a crash and replacing the controller board I just can't get it working properly for some reason. But I had very good service from them and I would recommend the company. Probably worth a look at their site.

Fat Corgi

Are you not interested in the AlexMos controller? This one comes with the new 32bit version.

I am interested in the AlexMos controller, but have been following this thread here with some interest. Could be something better. In the meantime am hunting for a "tried and tested" gimbal that will take the GH3 & 4, as well as the BMPCC.

adanac

I would also love to know what to use for these cameras. The GH4 and BMPCC (which is currently half price) are my first choices. I really have no idea what gimbal to chose and would prefer not to go from gimbal to gimbal to gimbal. Is there really zero consensus on gimbals?

kloner

Aerial DP
phobotic is going to tune there firmwares on the hexacrafter 3 axis gimbal shortly and be a definate contender. i'm on alexmos now,,,, gh3/4 with any lens....

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
phobotic is going to tune there firmwares on the hexacrafter 3 axis gimbal shortly and be a definate contender. i'm on alexmos now,,,, gh3/4 with any lens....

Yep Andrew and I are waiting for the Phobotic to come in. We have a few gimbals (Hexacrafter 3 axis) ready to go to test this board on the GH3/4 and a few other cams.

After speaking to Roee a few times, I think he is the real deal. Looking forward to it!

adanac

Does Alexmos make a gimbal?

Is there really no gimbal people agree is good? It seems everyone goes from one gimbal to the next - think of all that wasted time and money. I would like to buy a good gimbal the first time. What's the use of having a forum if there is no information sharing! :)

dazzab

Does Alexmos make a gimbal?

Is there really no gimbal people agree is good? It seems everyone goes from one gimbal to the next - think of all that wasted time and money. I would like to buy a good gimbal the first time. What's the use of having a forum if there is no information sharing! :)

Gimbal development moves quickly and people have different needs. If you want to spend premium money in the $5,000 range then there are several proven solutions such as DJI and Movi. But in the sub $2,000 range it's a moving target. It's a bit like the copters, you can buy whatever frame you want and then put any flight controller, escs, props etc in it that you like. Or you can pay premium price for RTF systems. A couple of years ago when I started looking at gimbals it was all servos and gears which relied on the flight controller to keep it level. The Alexmos board hasn't been around that long and opened up an opportunity for lower end gimbals with brushless motors to perform quite well. I'm not sure why you think that there isn't info sharing going on. I've learned heaps here and really appreciate all the help people freely offer.

adanac

Sorry, "no sharing" was not the right way to put it. Moreover, I wasn't aware of recent developments. Thank you for this explanation. It's great things are improving but a moving target does make it harder to choose.

I have always expected to get a Zenmuse but I don't trust DJI. If they were a company with great support and customer service I wouldn't hesitate. $2500 is a lot for something that could die at any moment and for which I'd have no recourse.

adanac

Are the Tarot 3-axis gimbals good? The price is right and Tarot is a reasonably respectable brand in general, it seems.

kloner

Aerial DP
you need a good stiff frame. gh4 is basically a dslr class gimbal. Any flex in the frame makes shake. That's why i'm on hexacrafter gimbal frames, they've been 'dialed in"

this is an alexmos based one with a gh4 set to 35mm focal, equivlent to 70 mm focal on a 35mm sensor. left side has 1% post stab, center has a 300% zoom of the 2. it can handle really big glass like rokinon 16, etc.

This is about as good as an OG alexmos viacopter v.1 board will do....

adanac

Fascinating. What gimbal is that? You only mention the board.

Also, is a Tarot stiff enough of a frame? The Tarot 810 is what I'm looking at and I'd also like to fly a GH4.

kloner

Aerial DP
1)no idea but my guess is not for any lens
2) the support, options and performance

if your dead set on it, wait for the phobotix release. I'll be getting one in the next couple weeks to test

adanac

1) Do you mean frames with more flex are not ideal for longer focal lengths or is there some other lens issue? I will probably never use anything longer than a 50mm equivalent as I don't think I would have clients for a smaller FOV.

I've never heard of phobotix and find no references to it online. I'm not terribly close to buying one. Have to buy a heli first - hopefully before the end of the month.

kloner

Aerial DP
the phobotix isn't even released yet hence the "if you got time, wait" comments

the limit to your gimbals performance is in the frames engineering. after going through what we all went through getting the G2 tot he spec it's at today and looking at what it took, when i see these cheap chineese designs it makes me think what i do about em. Shaking shows at any focal length. Good glass for a gh4 is 2-4 lbs..... that's what sets these apart from the zens that require a specific glass be used. and a very small short focal expensive lens at that. A good lens for gh4 is like Rokinon 16mm m43 mount, voigtlander 17.5mm m43 mount, etc. super sharp quality glass that does low light, etc.

adanac

Is it not called Phobotic?

I'm not sure I'd consider a lens able to do low light, unless you mean it's a fast lens. In any case, I hope I would not have to fly with the lens wide open! I have also heard good things about the Voigtlander.

I think I understand now that when you referred to lens limitations you meant weight.

Thank you for all of this. Before the end of the month I'll have a Tarot 800 or 1000 (don't know which is better for the GH4) and I'll move to the gimbal, with an eye on the Phobotic!