Cheap 5D gimbal

anaka

hi sebas600, mine is only a suggestion, i promote the direct drive becouse I already walked on the belt with potentiometer way for a long time and wasn't totally satisfacted so decided to try direct drive and finally found the results desired
this was my direct experience, now is up to you :D
let us stay up to date, any way you choose, and my best wishes!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebas600

Thanks Anaka,

Ordered a new FC sins the Naza doesn't have a high refresh for the gimbal. and the 90 degree problem.
Ordered Dupro balancer.
Waiting on that now.
Also received the silicone gel grommets for absorbing the vibrations.
Going to install that next week.

When it is installed I'll post some pics

mbsteed

aerial video centric
So, has anyone got any flight video with this gimbal? I think the belt driven approach is the only way to go - direct drive introduces jitters with the digital servo resolution. This certainly looks promising - I think Askman is developing a similar gimbal but haven't seen it yet. What about vibration dampening? Does it have rubber grommets or other rubber devices to reduce that? I am in the market so it would be useful to know.

I also noticed this on the ebay site: This seller is currently away until May 6, 2012, - not sure what that means.

anaka

hi mbsteed

check the video below, is made with my gimbal setup, direct drive digital fast servos, square tube arms and custom vibration dampers

was made some months ago in Hyde Park, was windy morning, with 12 mph gasps, the video has no post processing of any kind, just cutted and posted online

this was shooted with light wind and one arm visible in the shooting, so you can notice how the gimbal works

if you want to see the gimbal check this thread
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3753-AnakA-System

in these days i'm working to reduce weight, all the rest is stable enough

Sebas600

So, has anyone got any flight video with this gimbal? I think the belt driven approach is the only way to go - direct drive introduces jitters with the digital servo resolution. This certainly looks promising - I think Askman is developing a similar gimbal but haven't seen it yet. What about vibration dampening? Does it have rubber grommets or other rubber devices to reduce that? I am in the market so it would be useful to know.

I also noticed this on the ebay site: This seller is currently away until May 6, 2012, - not sure what that means.

Belt or cog is the way to go if you want quality footage for commercial use.
I've got some gelmec silicone S grommets for the high frequencies attached to rubber m3 dampeners. (RS components)
And balance your motors and props to perfection to take out most of the vibes. Yes it takes hours and yes if your prop strikes anything you can do it again. DU-Bro prop balancer is great.

View attachment 4357

Attachments

• foto-4.jpg
    foto-4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 338

apejovic

Belt or cog is the way to go if you want quality footage for commercial use.
I've got some gelmec silicone S grommets for the high frequencies attached to rubber m3 dampeners. (RS components)
And balance your motors and props to perfection to take out most of the vibes. Yes it takes hours and yes if your prop strikes anything you can do it again. DU-Bro prop balancer is great.

View attachment 5942

+1.

Sebas, did you find out which exact model is the savox servo that was displayed on the gimbal´s photo when you and me have purchased our gimbal´s?

I have modified my gimbal a bit and was able to tight the roll belt, now it nearly has no play at all. I will try it during this week as by some reason after the first test my 5a 6v ubec ,I used for the servos, is damaged and is outputting 15v instead of 6v! I should get some new ubecs in a few days and do some test and videos so we can share our experience. If the tests are not succesfull I will change the servos for some savox. My stabilization controller allows me to setup both the servos max, min and center points so I think I could use different servos without having to add some pots.

Sebas600

I've no idea witch where displayed in de ad.
For the ubec I used an 6,5 tracko power, cheap and super lightweight 500ma max
I'll stick with the servo internal pot meter as well for now.
Not really planning on going pro on this one, just good fun.

longgtom

Hi Sebas600,
I noticed you're from the Netherlands. I'm living in Amsterdam at the moment, and having a devil of a time trying to find parts due to not knowing what the Dutch words for certain things are (it took me a while to find a Dutch supplier of CF arms (carbon buisen!). Do you have any favourite Dutch suppliers of parts? Also, what is the Dutch phrase for "silicon grommets"? :)
Thanks!

Sebas600

Hi Longgtom,

It's buizen by the way :shame:

Better not buy CF in the netherlands, it's very expensive here.
I get my CF form China.
Lots of RC stuf from HK
and a good dutch supplier is www.rc-helipower.nl nice guy that knows his stuff, used to work with digitech but also found that he is not a great guy.
The silicone grommets are only available for companies with kvk an btw number (VAT number) from RS components.
http://nl.rs-online.com/web/p/anti-...552267573743D3437342D3830322677633D4E4F4E4526
If you need more info on translation use google translate or PM me.

apejovic

Ok, yesterday I have tested the gimbal. I will change roll servo with a spare one as I think there´s a broken gear, but overall the results are quite good. Video has no post stabilization and no slowmotion. Please take a look and give me your opinions.

anaka

hi apejovic, very good quality!
have you any informations on wind conditions? was it calm or windy day?
this gimbal is even more interesting

hexacop

HexaCop
I have two additional questions, which camera are you using and which IMU controller was used for gimbal stabilization?

apejovic

Anaka: it was quite windy, you can see it on the video because the palms moving quite a lot.

Hexacop: Camera is a Sony HDR-700 series, IMU for gimbal is Multiwii in gimbal mode.

hexacop

HexaCop
Hexacop: Camera is a Sony HDR-700 series, IMU for gimbal is Multiwii in gimbal mode.
This is interesting, is your flight controller a multiwii or do you use multiwii in addition to the flight controller, so I would be interested if the multiwii performs better than the MK FC ME2.1 for stabilization purposes?

anaka

ok I can see the palms moving...my impression is that is 4mph wind approximatively, is it like this?
in general looks good result

apejovic

Hexacop: No my flight controller is not the multiwii. In mi opnion multiwii is great for acro but still not ready for a good AP with autostability. I use a port mwii on a Free Flight board just for the gimbal stabilization. I have no experience with MK so I can not compare it with my other devices. Using multiwii as a gimbal is a cheap solution if you need to setup not only gains but also rolls min and max and center points, which I have to do for the hitecs provided with the gimbal.

Anaka: I can´t tell you the real wind speed as I normally don´t measure it, in my head I only got...PERFECT DAY...A BIT WINDY....WINDY....and OHH GOD, WILL THIS FLY IN THIS WIND...:nevreness::nevreness:

That day it was a bit windy, but the main problem of the square where I use to do my tests it´s shape and proximity to a canyon next to it. Even in some calm days once you get above the level of the houses (two floors) you are exposed to changing winds from many directions. I like that, as normally whn I need to work in other locations everything seems much easier.

Mbsteed: I think sebas has posted the Ebay link before, It does come with servos, but not the savox that appear on the item photo, which are the ones I will end putting on it.

hexacop

HexaCop
I've ordered the gimbal too but without servos. If you like to use your own servos you can ask cnc-kreativ, he can make you an offer without servos.

apejovic

I've ordered the gimbal too but without servos. If you like to use your own servos you can ask cnc-kreativ, he can make you an offer without servos.

That is very interesting, how much was the gimbal with no servos?

Which servos are you planning to use?