Canon 5D markii - aerial photograhy

Accupro

Use 11-pin Mini-USB Port on Camera to Breakout the Video Feed

Newbie here and probably should not jump in but what the heck. I have been looking at this issue of using a low cost Canon point and shoot, in particular the ELPH 300 HS which has image stabilization as well. I can use CHKD running on the camera which allows much greater control of this 145 gram camera including RAW, bracketing and much much more. For me it will allow me to release the shutter and more specifically zoom, in the case of this ELPH, 5X optical, with an RC channel.

Although the ELPH has I think the HDMI AV output there are issues in getting the live video feed from the camera, like only in playback, or maybe something else as it relates to CHDK. However the newer Canon cameras and I assume it's the same with the DSLR's use an 11-pin mini-USB connector on the body. Looks like the normal mini if you look at it, but has a small notch on the top of the wider portion. A normal mini-USB is provided with the camera to transfer pictures and fits in this 11-pin mini-USB port. But this upper notch and the additional pins break out the AV from the camera. There is an adapter plug available that is 11-pin to the camera and breaks out an RCA jack for the video and passes the std digital USB to a separate controller that can be controlled from the RC, in my case, shutter release and zoom.

You get a standard FPV 5.8 MHz transmitter for the bird and connect the video jack from the cameras 11-pin mini-USB port back to your ground station, panel or glasses and there you go.

Not sure if it works as I do not currently have this setup running but many others do apparently.

Dixon

Hey Mojave,
I just looked up the Hexacrafter 1100 and its a beast and those U7s are quite expensive!! I don't think you will have any problem moving the 5d around. Do you know what your payload is? I am pretty sure the Cinstar 6 that I am getting can carry the 5d for about 8-10 minutes.

I think your idea about adding a 2nd camera for FPV is probably the wise move. The group that's building my Cinstar 6 really stressed purchasing a Phantom along with a flight simulator, called Real Flight, just to get as much experience as I could before flying the real thing. They also stressed that I should learn to fly visually rather than with FPV. My experience with visually flying, up until this point, has been very exciting, confusing and stressful - but I think it will pay off in the long run, things are starting to make since.

Keep me posted on your progress,
Dixon

kloner

Aerial DP
this is a hexacrafter 1100 on board.... yes all have a second camera, you can't fly the rig through a gimbal....

20140208194531-6fc7a57b-la.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: