brushless gimbals and wind.....question

kloner

Aerial DP
that's what the whole success of the s800 is, no prop wash on the zen

on your pan, get an 80mm on it, will make it all come together.... the newer versions are easy to integrate into dd, way to go

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Can you recommend an 80? I think these are 50ish. I'd really like a hollow shaft so I can run the wires through. I'd have to try to match up the holes, guess I could make an adaptor if needed. I really like the metal arms on this gimbal. Very stiff. You could turn it into a mini milling machine if you wanted. ;) It's just that pan motor seems weak. I'd like to be able to fly at 100 km/h with this thing. That's my goal. :)

I like iPower motors, and they have this:

http://www.iflight-rc.com/product/iPower-Brushless-Motor-iPower-GBM-Motor-iPower-GBM8017-120T.html

Those suckers are expensive and really heavy though. About $220 and 318g.

I really wonder if this could work on pan:

http://www.servocity.com/html/spg7950a-cm-360_servo_gearbox.html

2:1 ratio, 972 oz-in of torque, 0.27 sec/60. 1.62 seconds for 360°. And only something like 160g.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
But do I really need that much motor for just a Nex5? I'm pretty sure I need more but, isn't there something in between?

kloner

Aerial DP
the weak link is the motors right now. There is an alternative, look up maxtor. these 80mm motors are just good, there spending time with them. the 52mm gimbal stuff is the worst out there. i struggled with that forever. Should it work, yes. does it, sometimes. Try belt reduction if you want to stick with the little yaw motors, will get it done but wind resistance comes with motor power ie 80mm.....

this is 4114 with a reduction and gh3 with 2lbs of glass on it

takin it yours isn't doing that? Does it do it static on theh ground?

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
What kinda speeds you get up to there?

I haven't flown mine at speed yet, but I think it's not going to work. It doesn't take much to knock the yaw axis off, and then it swings a long way before stopping. I'm just talking about ground testing, just a light push of the finger. Compared to pitch and roll which are pretty decent. It's been fine with hand testing, and hovering. I just don't thing it'll take much to throw it off, especially if I had the camera aimed sideways at speed.