Beginners advise on FPV system

drsf

Hey all,

Doing some research into a FPV system and currently I am leaning towards the following system -

Transmitter/Receiver (over 2.4GHz, running at 1W):
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/FPV-2.4G-1W-4CH-Video-Audio-Wireless-Mini-Receiver-Transmitter-Kit.html
Cam:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/600TVL-SONY-SUPER-HAD-CCD-D%2dWDR-Color-Board-Camera-with-OSD-Menu-DNR.html
with general power supply and bnc adapter.

A few things come to mind. Firstly, I'm not too familiar with a lot of the pre-available FPV technologies that seem to be common around here. Given that my priories are transmitter weight and range (not so much duration and quality), are there any systems anyone can recommend that I may have missed?

Another thing to reiterate is that video quality is not important - the low res FPV is merely to assist in checking orientation and helping with landing. To that avail, would a more basic camera model be recommended, such as this model (http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8739)? Or would it not matter based on the transmitters capabilities?

Last issue is the transmitters resistance to interference from the flight control datacomm; any insight in to this?

Any help or insights appreciated :tennis:

-Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
your not suppose to mix 2.4 vtx and rc rx,,,,,,, and you want a lower rc frequency than your video frequency, the basics for this stuff. if you were running 72mhz or 433mhz then the 900-5.8 will work. 900 has better penetration but horrible video quality IMO. the static is minimal, but it can interfere with even 433 with anything from a general static look if your too close to the VRX or white streaks shooting across your screen. 1.3 and 2.4 have the best middle ground, but i gotta tell you, if 5.8 is as good as it is here where your at is a great signal with the right antennas. the quality is amazing but even a branch will try throwing static across your screen. The biggest advantage is its compatible with your 2.4 rc tx

a good combo for similar money to me is

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=266
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=40&products_id=877
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49&products_id=550

i know tims out of everything, but if you go this way and need help, hit me up, I know where it's at or is coming soon.

For the camera, that fatshark ccd killer is a nice little cam, seen it the other day from i think was bevrc for $35. super small, has a case, can be mounted to a simple little micro gimble if ya wanted to, the $4 kind

that immersion video gear is real. grounds are grounded, wires come out of it right for this environment, etc. i can't say enough after playing with a hobbyking system.

this is a video of a quad that goes 2200 feet with the gear above totaly static free running with a spektrum 2.4 radio

you can use goggles instead of, if that's the case, the fatshark goggles with built in rx are compatible with the same VTX and then you wouldnt have to have the Uno VRX

Last edited by a moderator:

drsf

Looks good to me, very helpful!

Working with Australian frequencies, it seems like to 900 and 5.8 are the two obvious options.

However, as I understand it, the 2.4GHz RC (running a Spectrum 2.4GHz DSM) may compromise the video, but the video telemetry wont compromise the data. Since this video feed doesn't require quality (ie not fussed about interference), would there be advantages to sticking with the 2.4GHz, possibly in terms of power consumption or range? That's my thinking at this stage, however the 5.8 is sounding more and more appealing...

Note that flight data will also travel on the 433MHz, I don't think that will be an issue though..

The other issue is that there will probably be the need for a multi-channel transmitter as we want the option to alternate between the chassis or payload orientation (ie 2 cameras). But it seems most models can accommodate this. I wonder, since there will likely be a GoPro mounted to the payload gimbal, if the transmitter can also handle the Go-Pro low res output ... I'll need to look into that.

The camera unit looks good! I'm hoping to settle on a decision on over the weekend, very exciting. Haven't yet considered goggles, but they are certainly appealing

Edit:
It might also be worth mentioning that we are developing a system where the 2.4GHz RC is for backup only; pre-programmed onboard flight control will be used in conjunction with the 433MHz telemetry to fly this thing :)

Tahoe Ed

Kloner good recommendations. I use everything that you recommended with the exception of the Rx. I use the Immersion which is slightly cheaper. I also use the Eagle Tree OSD Pro and the Eagle Eyes diversity and tracking control. i have two Rx's with the cloverleaf antenna along with a patch antenna.

kloner

Aerial DP
My gopro on the hobbyking 900mhz 1500 mw system looked like total crap, super dark. on the 5.8 immersion stuff, the video on mine looks real from gopro live feed. keep in mind, the hk system is total crap, sooooo

On any of these, stay away from vtx's over 500-600mw, much more and it really ****s with the rc, and most likely data link

Tahoe Ed

I did some testing with a fellow MR pilot and he was really impressed with the 600mw transmitter combined with the cloverleaf antenna. We did however get the greatest range out of the patch antenna. When we tested I did not have diversity set up. So we switched antennas in-between flights. He observed and I flew.

kloner

Aerial DP
you ought to build or buy some of the rhcp patch stuff, amazing quality.

002%20%281024x815%29_595.jpg

he has a 5 turn helical in 5.8 too. 5.8 600mw with cloverleafs goes further than a 2.4 spektrum radio, that's for sure.

drsf

@kloner
That unit looks very appealing :p
Is it perhaps automatic to track the transmitter? GPS over the datacomm feeds back to aerial orientation? Too ambitious?

I'm going to need to take a crash course in such antennas, such a system definitely seems the way to go

This info is gold, very much appreciated, cheers Ed also. Will hopefully be back soon with some decisions. Going to be an interesting project to say the least.

kloner

Aerial DP
it tracks my osd and it downloads all the data from the eagle tree through the video signal. thats the RHCP cannon on the eagle eyes tracking carrier, theres an aluminum one too for more weight/bigger antenna like 1.3/900

all of it is from readymade rc

006 (768x1024)_595.jpg

watch this video at 5:26, shows the tracker following it. lets you use directional patch type antenna

the biquad is a killer little antenna does 900-1300 with inverted v on the tx. pretty easy to make, ibcrazy has a great tutorial at rcgroups anf fpvlabs on how to make them,,,, not rhcp, but pretty solid with a similar radiating pattern, 11db gain, 50 degree field

002 (768x1024)_595.jpg