Batteries in the US

Kilby

Hey gang,

I need to order a few extra batteries for a small real estate job I have coming up. Normally I will order Nanotech 3s 6000 mah from the HobbyKing US warehouse, but they seem to be all sold out of anything even close to that. Who else in the US would have something simular at a decent cost? Any suggestions? The job is a week from tomorrow, so I don't have a lot of time, hence the reason I'm looking for something in the US.

Thanks!

-Terry

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The only other place I've gotten batteries from that is US based is Hobbypartz.com, quality of the Blue Lipos seems to be the same as the Turnigy I have, probably all made in the same Chinese factory anyway.

Not many places I know of with US warehouses that carry the less expensive Chinese packs, or at least any of the packs worth buying...

Ken

ryan_m

allerc.com sells Hyperion packs that are of very good quality. They ship extremely fast as well. Hyperion packs aren't cheap, but they will last 300+ cycles. Most Turnigy packs won't come close to that, so if you factor that in, the price isn't quite so bad.
amainhobbies.com is also US based, you will not want the cheapest shipping, go for USPS priority and you'll get it very fast.

ryan_m

Gens Ace are great packs. 5c charge rated and hold their voltage quite well. I have about 15-20 of them that I use on my airplanes.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ahhh.. HobbyPartz.com That's who I was trying to think of when I posted this. Thanks, Ken.

It doesn't look like they have Blue Lipos in the size I need. Ever deal with the Gens Ace packs? I found this that looks close.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-5500-3s1p.html

-Terry

I haven't used the Gens Ace but some of the heli guys at the field give them high marks, seem to be pretty good deal for the $. I guess what it really comes down to is if you need them within a week you probably won't find a better deal that you can have delivered in that time frame.

I just came up with a slightly different solution to the battery problem, I bought a small Generac 800 watt portable generator and a hard case to put charger and power supply in. Yeah it's more things to take along but in the long run the $250 investment will save at least that much in extra batteries I would need to have to get through a day of flying without needing to recharge.

DSC00041a.jpg

DSC00042a.jpg

On top of that I was spending way too much time charging batteries before the night before going flying, now I only need to charge up a couple sets and can do the rest as needed while flying.

Ken

mailman35

im stuck waiting for bats to charge now. all my 4s finished up just waiting for the 3s to finish now :O
thinking of getting another charger and using spare server psu's to get more voltage and amps

kloner

Aerial DP
gens ace are the best i've come across. the new stuff over 25c is even better, just came out with these 60c that really hold ir well. there 25c is like a turnigy 40c pack as far as available current and how well the ir holds

I've had the worst luck with hyperion packs. Been through 4, all bought from reputable helicopter dealers, all came unbalanced to the point they were permanently damaged. i guess it's from sitting around, nobody uses them things at any funflys i've ever been too unless there sponsored by em.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

I ran some tests last night and realized that I can get 6 1/2 minutes out of 2 of my 2200 mah batteries ran in parallel. That's more than enough time for me to get the job done since I've got 12 of those laying around. Combined with the other Nanotech's I've got, I should be plenty good. Just in case though, I'm setting up a place in my car to plug in my HiTec X4 charger. Being able to charge 4 batteries at a time is a wonderful thing. It will be even more wonderful doing it while out and about.

Thanks for the input though gang. I will check out the Gens Ace batteries when I make the switch to 4S after the hexa is built.

-Terry

kloner

Aerial DP
RTR, nice charging setup. need one of them cases for all the charging gear. Seen these?
http://www.progressiverc.com/prc-hardline-cases.html

Kill, just make sure there internal resistance is still low if they've been sitting around. little tools like battery checkers have em, shows voltage and Ir or some battery chargers have it. up to 10 and your golden, up to 100 and shes coming down early, over that and you most likely know cause it already took you down. happens in a couple flights once there damaged

first 8 seconds was a minute to a minute and a half into a flight on a turnigy pack that had 110mv ir rating

most new packs are 2-4mv
checkers look like this, good tool to have along for the forgetful minded like myself
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10952__Cell_Log_8M_Cell_Voltage_Monitor_2_8S_Lipo.html
CellLog-8M-2.jpg

I hate when lipos gone bad, sucks, like a nitro heli out of tune, not a matter of if but when shes comin down

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

That's the first thing I did, kloner. They were all in a good range. They are actually the batteries I use for my FPV quad, so I guess the term "laying around" wasn't really appropriate. ;-)

mailman35

a cell checker is the first thing i got when i got the first quad. i pack that thing with the radio , always good to know where the packs stand :p

Dewster

Bannana hobby is based in California. I ordered my batteries from them. I haven't had any issues with their line. 3s 6000 mah. They have overnight shipping.