APC Thin experiences

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just ordered some APC thin props for the first time. I have always used the slow fly's or Graupners. I got a pair of Xoars but the balancing act is killing me. So I am curious, as these look like really good props, why people are or are not satisfied with them. They seem similar to Graupners. They are certainly heavier than a Xoar or SF and by no means would these ever break- which is good and bad. I like that thet are readily available and cheap and come in all different sizes. For my XY8 I am using 2814's with 12x6 on top and 13x6.5 on bottom. We'll see how she does.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The APC thin electrics are much better props than their slow fly version and you are correct that they have a very similar profile to Graupners. I currently have 12 x 6 T/E props on my Cinestar and also use the 8 and 9 inch versions on my QAV500 and TBS Discovery FPV quads, less expensive than Graupners, more readily available in a lot of different sizes and pitchs, and they seem to work just as well as the Graupners on everyhting I've used them on so far. One feature I really like about them is they have a beefy hub making them easier to balance than the slow fly, matter of fact I'm using them unbalanced and I don't notice much of a difference from the Graupners so they must be pretty close out of the package.

One factor I have to deal with here in the northeast, the outside temperature this time of year is around freezing on a warm day and often a good 10 or more degrees below that with wind making it feel even colder. Graupners tend to get very brittle in these conditions and I don't stop flying just because it's little chilly outside, the APC tend to be a bit more forgiving when making contact with frozen ground and even if they do break it's not a $10 or $12 hit in the wallet as it is for a Graupner.

I think you'll like the Thin Electrics, they've worked very well for me so far.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks! Seems everyone is sold on Xoars, which may be the bee's knees when balanced. But they are hard to get, expensive and take a good amount of balancing. It will be interesting to see how a 12x6 thin compares to a 12x3.8 slow fly.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks! Seems everyone is sold on Xoars, which may be the bee's knees when balanced. But they are hard to get, expensive and take a good amount of balancing. It will be interesting to see how a 12x6 thin compares to a 12x3.8 slow fly.

I've used and still have sets of all three. The T/E are quieter than the S/F and much stiffer due to that large hub and thick blade root, you'll find they fly a lot like Graupners with just enough flex to make them not as harsh on quick stick movements. I'll only use the slow fly when it's all I have available at that moment and I'm not concerned about video quality which makes them a no go for APV work in my book as I'm not going to tear my hair out trying to properly balance the bloody things which is darn near impossible! I use Xoars on my MK hexa and have tried them on the Cinestar. While they work really well on the hexa I wasn't impressed with how they performed on the CS, I'd much rather the T/E as it just seems smoother in the air with the WKM controller on the APC or Graupner in warmer weather.

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
I used these to size my helis,,,,,,,, 12x6 and 12x8.... easy to get direct, they just take a while to ship. There near you somewhere

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Not sure what you are referring to Kloner. If you are talking about the APC's they are very easy and quick to get. $4/each! Hell even Tower Hobbies has them.

Breezemont

What I have found with the APC props in general and the SF props in particular is the massive amount of flashing left on the prop leading AND trailing edges. I spend a good 5 minutes or more per prop filing down the edges and rounding the tips before I balance them. Once they have been cleaned up they are easier to balance, won't cut you to the bone, and quieter.

The difference in efficiency between a 3.8 pitch and 6 pitch is pretty significant unless you fly like warthox.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just take the edge of a knife and run it down the blade quickly. So are you saying a 3.8 SF is more efficient then a thin 6 or viceversa?

Breezemont

I just take the edge of a knife and run it down the blade quickly. So are you saying a 3.8 SF is more efficient then a thin 6 or viceversa?
At the same prop speed and diameter the higher the pitch the more amps drawn.
For slow flying and hovering use the lowest pitch and largest diameter you can for torque and efficiency.
For fast flying/acro the higher pitch is more dynamic has a higher top end speed.
There is also the issue of weight, and prop blade design, KV, etc.
The thin prop is, well, thinner which means it doesn't have as much torque as a fatter blade SF.
It's heavier, so there's more load on the motor to spin it.
If the pitch doesn't match the KV you can get magic smoke.

Like so many things, it just depends on what you want to do.

kloner

Aerial DP
you'd think if your molding something it is easy to make a zillion of the same thing.......... but them hubs are some outta whack sums a biches

Bowley

So not a patch on Graupner Elektro then?
Guess I'll find out, I have some 12x6' thins waiting for me when I get home in a couple of weeks.

kloner

Aerial DP
i've never been able to make a graupner work better than how it came out of the package, but i've only messed with 8 and 9"........ like out of 20-30 props, balance em, screw em up, leave em alone, flew awesome. They'd show very slightly out of balance.... hub balance

jcmonty

I fly with 12x3.8 SF and 13x6.5 TE on my Y6. No complaints, but they are hard to balance and heavier. They are thinner, so a bit better aspect ratio, which helps with efficiency. In the end, an equivalent slow fly should be more efficient though

Hey guys, I am looking for a little guidance. Been flying multirotors for a year and a half now, but starting to put together a more serious rig for AV. I have always just bought kits. F450 etc. I am building a 680mm Hex and trying to figure out what the right size APC props to go with. Motors are 750kv 350w power and 40 amp ESCs. I am an old fixed wing 3D pilot so I am not used to picking out props for this type of stuff. Any recommendations, or tips you guys have for making the right choice?

Thanks!

Bowley

Graupners, they cost a little more, but its cheaper to just get them than buy and try a heap of other ones as you will end up with Graupners in the end :tennis:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
whatever you buy, it helps to have a handle on how to balance them. :cupcake: