APC Props.............Are they Junk?

v84x4

Total Noob
First I cut and shortened my NAZA GPS cable (Thanks kloner)
And I've been running some GP CF 13x6.5 props on my 2814/22 AXI motors and I loved them

But I have since crashed into the side of a building and broke 2 of my CF props.....

So I went to mu LH and purchased some APC props of the same spec's (13x6.5)
Now I see that my QUAD is wobbling like my Gain's are off

So I have re calibrated my GPS several times and messed with my gains but can seem to get rid of the "Wobble"

Does anyone know what I may have done or are these APC props JUNK ?

Everything is the same except for the props and the crash

Thanks for your advice

Regards Rick

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Initially I thought APC were crap since they look like a poor molding job with flashing and a non balanced hub. but all in all they are very strong and pretty consistent in performance. They are also nice because the hub is plenty strong yet is small enough it doesnt need balancing. I just slap a small piece of 3m scotch tape under the blade needing weight and they have been fine. Because the slow fly props are a little flexible they will not do quite as well in wind and a quick decent but honestly this is very small and almost hard to tell the difference. There's a reason so many people use them. Also they are easy to get and cheap. And they are NOT chinese.

v84x4

Total Noob
Well, I'm not so convinced it's them

i just took it out again and it fell from the sky

My wife is more upset then I am
She said............."It's all smashed up, just one prop left and that it" :LOL

Anyway.....................
I still get more wobble like it is to much gain................

What is causing that?

Regards Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe its too much prop with too high gains. Naza's hate wind too. Is it windy at all? That will shake em up real good if you are in anything but manual.

meme

I use the same APC`s on the same motors without any problems, love them pretty much. +1 what IrisAerial said wich Copter/AUW do you operate?

v84x4

Total Noob
Maybe its too much prop with too high gains. Naza's hate wind too. Is it windy at all? That will shake em up real good if you are in anything but manual.

No Winds and again all I did was change from CF props to APC props after a lite crash
I tried turning down the gains all the way down to %90 and that seemed to help but the quad was sloppy in response............Thanks IrisAerial

Bent prop mount?

I will look into that ...never crossed my mind....Thanks

I use the same APC`s on the same motors without any problems, love them pretty much. +1 what IrisAerial said wich Copter/AUW do you operate?

I really cant believe it would be the props as many other ppl use them around me.....Thanks

Conclusion:
Well now my bird sits in pieces............so no more testing
I will take it apart, clean everything up and inspect the motors.
I'm waiting on my Discovery Frame to be delivered anyway

Thanks again guys
i will post up after I get her up and flying again

Best Regards Rick

Dewster

The APC props are pretty tough. I "upgraded" to full carbon fiber props and had one break in flight with less than five minutes of flight time on them. The carbon fiber prop snapped at the hub sending one of the blades flying off in space and my craft straight to the ground. I heard the snap an knew what it was as I watched my bird drop like a rock.

I thought I was upgrading by switching from APC props to carbon fiber. The APC props are strong, and flex under load versus self destructing in flight. They are noisy when compared with Graupners. I will only use Graupners or APC props from now on. The carbon fiber prop that I used had a small hub attaching the blades. I kept the blades after the crash and I could see the stress cracks on one where the blade attaches to the hub. Some say it may be a design flaw. Other say I may have over tightened/torqued the prop causing the stress cracks.

I never had this problem with the APC props. I guess they are so much more forgiving.

Right now I fly with Graupners and I have a new set of APC props in my little bin of multi rotor goodies. They may look cheap, cost less than most other props, but they are reliable.

kloner

Aerial DP
you should be down in size, more like 10 or 11" with those motors. your either smoking a motor or esc overloading them like that.

A lite crash involves taking the prop adaters off, spin em up and feel for vibes. mount prop adapters and do the same...... then prop it, at a low speed, touch em all, make sure no more vibes. an onboard camera tells it all, especialy with volume. If you can't hear each motor reving while it's running, your no where close. usually a loud one is all you hear, and is the culprit

v84x4

Total Noob
you should be down in size, more like 10 or 11" with those motors. your either smoking a motor or esc overloading them like that.

A lite crash involves taking the prop adaters off, spin em up and feel for vibes. mount prop adapters and do the same...... then prop it, at a low speed, touch em all, make sure no more vibes. an onboard camera tells it all, especialy with volume. If you can't hear each motor reving while it's running, your no where close. usually a loud one is all you hear, and is the culprit

Thanks kloner I will fallow your method for testing......:02.47-tranquillity:

As far as prop size.........
I was just going with the manufacture recommendation
"On 4s Li-Po batteries with 13"x6.5" propellers, this motor generates approximately 650g of thrust at 4.8A. This equates to a very efficient hover!"

I will try 10" or 11" when I get her put back together.........

Thanks kloner

Best Regards Rick

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd go with real world advice in regards to multi rotors. The story with any dji equipment is if it's not hovering at mid stick in manual, your not gonna see anything you like. but your new, and manual mode isn't very good for a new guy. usually involves a crash. but a simple fast check is to hover it high, flip to manual and flip it back after a few seconds. note if it stayed the same, rose or fell

Last edited by a moderator: