Any updates on Naza GPS????

Billzilla

It is not a good idea to mount GPS modul that way!!! There is not only GPS but magnetometr inside and as you know there are strong magnets in motors so they will interfere with magnetometer!!!

I tried the IOC function today, it seemed to work perfectly so it doesn't seem to bother the compass.

thehatguy

I think if you try it and it works, then it works.

If not then configure it using the mast.

Much cleaner install without the mast.

Another question regarding the GPS module:

Has anybody done a write up of the procedure to add GPS?

John

srbell

Hey, I was trying to buy a Naza with GPS from DJI-USA but no luck. All I see it the Naza itself. Robert out there?
Ignore. Found the preorder button on the main page of Robert's site. Ordered the Naza and GPS, looks like a great deal compared to my WKm.

Billzilla

Quick dumb question sorry guys - I'm trying to set up the failsafe on my F550.
Got a Hitec Aurora 9 TX and I've set the GPS/ATT/MAN function to one of the three-position switches on the TX.
When I am testing the failsafe by turning the TX off I can't get the failsafe function on the NAZA to be selected; it jumps to ATT only.
How do I get it to go to one of the failsafe positions between the three flight options?

And can I also take off in ATT mode and wait until the GPS unit gets a full lock then switch over?

RCNut

Finally tested my F450 with the new Naza GPS this weekend. I'm quite impressed. The wind was gusting past 20 knots at times and the quad just sat there angled into the wind and moved less that 1 foot horizontally. The gusts affected the altitude slightly but it always managed to correct itself. After running a complete battery through it, the low battery protection auto-landed it exactly where it took off from. .

With a fresh battery I launched and flew it about 100 meters away and switched to failsafe. It hovered then climbed, turned for home and returned. The landing was perfect and ever so gentle followed by motor switch off. There was no sign of the bouncing some seem to have experienced and the landing location was within 1 foot of the takeoff point. Perfect. Flying it around in GPS mode didn't seem any more restrictive than in Atti mode except that it was more stable for landing and hovering.

First cold GPS fix was around 30 seconds and subsequent hot fixes were around 5 seconds.

RCNut

Quick dumb question sorry guys - I'm trying to set up the failsafe on my F550.
Got a Hitec Aurora 9 TX and I've set the GPS/ATT/MAN function to one of the three-position switches on the TX.
When I am testing the failsafe by turning the TX off I can't get the failsafe function on the NAZA to be selected; it jumps to ATT only.
How do I get it to go to one of the failsafe positions between the three flight options?

And can I also take off in ATT mode and wait until the GPS unit gets a full lock then switch over?

Have you set a switch on your TX to select the Failsafe option on the assistant? What I did was to set a failsafe setting that I could switch to from the TX (which allows me to select RTH at any time in flight). I then bound my RX with all sticks centerd, the throttle set to around 40% and the Failsafe switch in the Failsafe setting. The RX then remembers these settings when the TX fails. The process will depend on your RX. I then tested in using the assistant to ensure the Naza went to Failsafe when I switched my TX off.

Billzilla

Have you set a switch on your TX to select the Failsafe option on the assistant? What I did was to set a failsafe setting that I could switch to from the TX (which allows me to select RTH at any time in flight). I then bound my RX with all sticks centerd, the throttle set to around 40% and the Failsafe switch in the Failsafe setting. The RX then remembers these settings when the TX fails. The process will depend on your RX. I then tested in using the assistant to ensure the Naza went to Failsafe when I switched my TX off.

The solution was posted for me on RCgroups -

It is really that simple, i'm assuming you have your CH5 in AUX1 and already set up for a 3 position switch.

Now like i said what i did to activate failsafe without turn off the radio was just to add a Programable Mix:

[Leave this field empty] -> [AUX1]
Assign a 2 position switch to it, move it to position ON and adjust the offset, while you change the offset values watch the naza assistant to check when failsafe turns blue.

So I don't have to use the slider any more, the switches now do all the work as I wanted.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Got some good stick time with my little F330 FPV quad yesterday after installing and sorting the GPS. It was quite windy at the field, gusts to 15 mph with a fairly steady wind of 8 to 10 mph. The postion hold works amazingly well in the wind especially considering this is only a little 330, flys very nice in the wind as well. Just before packing it up for the day I did an RTH while another club member got it on video, I was watching through the Fatshark goggles. It took a while to come down, I think it had to keep stopping and figuring out corrections for the wind pushing it around, but in the end after it bounced its way to a landing it wound up only a few feet from the takeoff point.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Bison52

I also noticed when I did a failsafe RTH, once it was over the home point, it was extremely slow to descend. When you program the failsafe on a Naza without GPS, the position of the throttle when you rebind determines the rate of descent. I wonder if this also determines the rate of descent on RTH with GPS.

RCNut

You could try to rebind it with less throttle and see what happens. Mine was set to about 40% and it landed slowly with a delicate touchdown. During the landing the throttle control had no effect so it was in complete control while it remained in failsafe mode. The only thing the instructions say is to keep the throttle above 10% when rebinding for failsafe mode.