Prop strike protection?

Dewster

I flew my WKM Hexa yesterday and my multicopter was attacked by a small bird. I was able to dodge the bird's several passes (since the bird could not hover), but wondered what would have happened if it struck one of my props and destroyed it. Has anyone thought of measures to protect their props from damage while in flight? What about the coloring of our drones? Do you think a different color besides black would keep aerial predators at bay?

It's spring time and I found out that even birds are territorial and will defend their nests and young from larger predators. I didn't even think about the possibility of a bird bringing my craft down until now. I'll post a video of the flight later. There is some language during a very brief dog fight.... lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
Droidworx had some stuff for exactly that reason, birds getting into the props. They had a couple of different designs, don't know if they're selling them yet though.

DennyR

I was buzzed for a few mins today by about 10 big black birds, not sure what they are called but BIG. They were trying to drive the MR away from their patch in the Harbor. They got very close. I have full blade protection so they could have a hard time bringing it down but not impossible for them.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
In the NAB video i saw something in the photohigher booth that had those cages you are speaking of. Maybe those were from Droidworx.