Alternative to Tiger MN4014-11?

Stacky

Does anyone have any alternative motors to the Tiger MN4014-11 motors?. Looking for something with a bit more grunt but heres the catch, at a lower cost. Not for me.

Any hints would be appreciated.
Cheers

Efliernz

Pete
This request is because...

a friend bought a DW SJ6 Ti lite with these motors at Droidworx NZ recommendation. He stated his payload requirements and was sent:

DW SJ6 Ti (not sure of booms but they are less than 500mm)
AV200
2 x 6S6000 batts
MN4014-11 330Kv motors
14" props

This combo with a GH3 is at 7.6Kg. 6.9Kg with 6600mA 6s.

He changed props to 15x5 Xoars and gets more power but... a few calculations (and readout from the Tx) says it's hovering at 68%. The Naza (and now HFP) struggle with the thrust-weight ratio.

Now we look at options since the supplied system isn't up to the job.

Suggestions?

Alternative wide-blade props instead of Xoars?
Add 500mm booms and source 17" props (has anyone tried the cheaper Foxtech carbons?)
Motor upgrade to higher Kv.

This guy been battling hear for months trying to get what was supplied running and has been spending $$$ on better controllers, props etc. We are just trying to give him a reliable machine.

Thanks

Pete

Quinton

I recently started flying the SJ6 Ti with 6200 mAh lipos, have not yet got a gimbal, however a few days ago, I did my first flight with 2x10400 mAh which brings the weight up to 7kgs.
I am using the Tiger MT3515-15 motors and 15x5 Xoars, but I also have the CF Tiger Props 15x5 which I have not tested with yet.

Have only been flying it for a week, but so far its flying beautifully, and getting 17 mins flight time when landing at 22v under load 22.5 when on the ground. (13 mins with the 2x6200 mAh)
Hovers at 50% thrust maybe even slightly under.
Im also using a Wookong though, not sure if that would make a difference.
Will give the Tiger Props a go later this week, if the weather picks up a bit here in UK

The booms are 410mm, however I was thinking of upgrading to the QR plates and 500mm booms which do allow up to 17" props to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick

I recently started flying the SJ6 Ti with 6200 mAh lipos, have not yet got a gimbal, however a few days ago, I did my first flight with 2x10400 mAh which brings the weight up to 7kgs.
I am using the Tiger MT3515-15 motors and 15x5 Xoars, but I also have the CF Tiger Props 15x5 which I have not tested with yet.

Have only been flying it for a week, but so far its flying beautifully, and getting 17 mins flight time when landing at 22v under load 22.5 when on the ground. (13 mins with the 2x6200 mAh)
Will give the Tiger Props a go later this week, if the weather picks up a bit here in UK

The booms are 410mm, however I was thinking of upgrading to the QR plates and 500mm booms which do allow up to 17" props to compare.

You should move to Ireland - weather is much better here..... Lol!

Efliernz

Pete

Thanks Quinton.

I am very interested in the prop comparison between the Xoars and the Tigers as that is exactly where we are... including the 410mm booms. I do suspect the 400Kv 3515-15 will make a big difference too.
I guess my friend has ended up buying a DW with a DW recommended setup (with their optimistic numbers) and he has spent a heap of $$$ because DW were wrong (it was supplied with 14" props and was always going to be 7-8Kg).

I will recommend he doesn't spend up on 15 or 16" Tigers just yet.

Cheers

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
I left some 15" tigers with bart and he was suppose to do a comparison on his bench between the two props statistically wise....

SMP

Ok take this FWIW... Had a Droidworx AD6. Nowhere close to lifting a 5D and with the AV200 even the T3i was grossly overweight. Stripped it down, added a set of motors and turned it into an X8. Spinning 12" XOARs on 4S and with either the AV200 or a slightly lighter Quadframes Landing Gear and a Musky (Nex7) type brushless it was still overweight, Not horrible but not good either. Currently have it completely stripped on the bench, lengthening booms (and motor wires) to spin 14" on 5S... Hoping that will put it where it needed to be in the first place.

Now on the flip side have a Skyjib spinning 15's on 5S on the 4014 AXIs and has been rock solid. Maybe you just need another pair of motors.

Lanzar

There must be something wrong with the spec or build or prop choice. NMT 4014 are slowfly so you need 16 inch tiger props and you will get 1kg per motor on 40 to 50% which is what you need. On 80% is 2kg easy with these motors.
But the prop choice was bad since 14 inch is not enought and the bateries need to be 6s otherwise you need 400 or 450kv motors.

Hope it helps.

Quinton

Ok managed to get the Tiger CF props on the Tiger MT3515-15 Motors today.
Warning though the thread length on the prop adapter does not go down far enough, and I had to use a make shift couple of m6 washers to get it screwed down for now.
Not ideal, but at least I had a try with them.
Flight was very different compared to the Xoars 15x5, first thing I noticed the CF props seemed to be quite a bit quieter.
Had to play about with the gains quite a bit on the first set of lipos, so couldnt really use them to compare as I was up and landing so much.
Put on the 10400 mAh 6S and got a good hard 17 mins HARD flying time, pushing it quite a bit. (Maybe slightly longer than the Xoars

They were MUCH more responsive compared to the Xoar, and responded quickly to any slight stick changes.
Are they worth the extra money, not entirely sure yet, the Xoars do seem to hold hover a bit more stable compared to the CF, but I might just need to play about with my gains a bit more.

One big difference was descending, they came down much smoother than the Xoars.
Just need to get a gimbal on there now, I thought I should have been in the first batch of Besteadys being sent, but nothing as of yet.

Did find these prop adapters but unfortunately it says that these prop adapters do not fit the MT3515
Anyone else know of a better solution than a couple of 6mm washers, as they weren't the tightest, and I dont fancy bringing the thread down a bit further.

Efliernz

Pete
Lanzair - your comments about about build specs are spot on. I believe DW may have been selling machines that simply don't stack up to the numbers promised, requiring immediate upgrade. My mate detailed his needs but the what was supplied simply wasn't up to the job safely.

Quinton - I thank you a heap for the test.

My mate has spoken to a shop in Aussie that makes their own machines but also supplies Tiger props and they have said that the only way his motors will carry the AV200 + GH3 safely is 17" props with 500mm booms. Looks like we have a combo that will work. Pity DW have been selling lots... to people that trust their guidance... I know of a few once-only / never again customers!

Pete