Alternate motors drawing high current

nemorov

Been running some tests on my custom build Hexa and I find that alternate motors are drawing much higher current (double) and getting significantly warmer during flight.
I have a friend with an MK Octo and he has noticed the same alternatively warmer motors.

Does anyone have any ideas wether this is normal or why it should be happening?

My FC is DJI-M with Hobbywing 40A Octo ESC's and AXI 2184/22 motors.

Thanks,

gavin

www.gavinnewman.com

nemorov

I could understand that if the motors were seriously out of alignment but double the current draw seems excessive.
And this last test was done with the copter anchored to the bench to test max current draw so there was no yaw input or anything to correct?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

gavin

kloner

Aerial DP
that had to of been a frightening site, how did you "anchor it down?" how long did it run like that? vibes alone would have it looking to adjust and being locked down would make some motors work harder than the rest.

Is all this change at a hover or did you recently go from hover to flying? my quad with similar sized motors hovers at 25 ish amps, flys at 60 amps.....

the ccw motors getting hotter is normal, especialy in wind. not so much when it's dead calm on mine

nemorov

was quite 'exciting' !
strapped to an outside bench with a ratchet strap ad I hid a long way away in case something let go!
One set of motors is drawing 38+ amps each at full power while the other set is running at around 16amps using 4s batteries.
38amps is way over the motors recommended max current of 25amps so somethings got to change.
I tried 3s batteries and the max current drops to 24amps but thats still to close to the max for my liking so I'm going to try changing the motors to 400kv units.
On paper (eCalc) that should be a much better match for my copter and much more efficient so we'll see.

gavin

kloner

Aerial DP
what size props are on it? what is the kv of these motors now?

if this was in atti,for sure it was the gyros, if tested in manual, there would be a problem

nemorov

atti vs manual, thats a really good point, I didnt think to test in manual!
This was with 13x7 Xoar props and the AXI motors are 765Kv
I also tried 12x6 Xoar props which drops the amps a bit but not enough.
Going to test tomorrow with Tiger 3515 motors ( 400Kv ) so be interesting to see what that gives.

Thanks for all the input.

gavin

kloner

Aerial DP
that is typicaly a 5s or 6s motor............. it's gonna be a gutless pig

that mode is everything, if this was mine i'd (gulp) go test it again in manual, otherwise your running off some very inaccurate data