A2 2.2 Upgrade Guinea Pig

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Here's a video of part of my test where I knock the thing off GPS hold....

Last edited by a moderator:

sk8brd

sorry for the confusion guys i was talking in an earlier post to carapau and droider about wkm. i was asking if their wkm rigs were using the v2 imu.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Been away for a few days so
Yesterday the A2 on the 550 flew perfectly for the first flight and then I had to reboot it 3-4 times for the second flight as it was not getting GPS lock where as my WKM equipped Skyjib 8 picked up over 7 sats almost immediately.
Sawthe video and yes it is VERY good but its when the above happens that really bothers me. When that happens in flight it does NOT go to ATTI. It goes to another place of its own choosing. somewhere in the middle of ATTI and Manual but with a bit of failsafe thrown in.. I will post the video as soon as I have processed the last few days work.

@ sk8brd. All my WKM are IMU V1

@ TahoEd. So you saying I can plug in my A2 IMU into my WKM and it will work?

Dave

brutis

Just tested A2 FC on firmware 2.2. Went throught the complete software and reconfigured all values. Checked Controller and reconfigured as well. Calibrated Radio 8Fg hardware, calibrated A2 transmitter values. Compass calibration ok Imu calibration ok. Went to field and compass calibration again, reboot Fc, waited for sats and course and home lock ok. Arm motors ok, disarm motors ok. Prep up for takeoff, stretch limber up, smoke a ciggie etc.
Go to arm motors again.... no arming?
reboot no arming? Gin around for ages going through configuration! !!!
Decide to run Fc on separate power supply, motors arm ok. Prep up for flight again go to re-arm motors no go!? Mess about with connections found that The Fc and motors would arm after rebooting the Fc with the motors still plugged in hot?? Me no likey. Dji pissing me off so I do it any way with no fatal consequences!. So motors hot quickly reboot Fc which picks up sats quick and all the bright lights say its okay to fly buddy: ) No : (
Take off in atti mode ok for a sec flick to Gps and it starts drifting. I correct with inputs accordingly but it go spastic and drifts away even quicker! By now Im ****ting myself and by the way its bloody night now as I wasted yhe sunlight fixing the piece of crap DJI A2 poo unit! Anyway I keep my wits and start following it and try correction to see wat it was doing?
flick back to attitude mode still going spastic then all of a sudden blue led flashes and it finally descends! I almost had a freakin heart attack but I quickly get to the machine and pull motor power then Fc power. So lucky no damage to unit or injury to pedestrians at the field : / After 8months of owning this unit and getting nothing but stress and dramas Im done with dji. I will demand a full refund on all Dji products that I own most not even used due to faulty Fc and piss poor customer service from Dji and Perth Rc model!

sk8brd

guys there been a few similar crashes on a2's this week just heard of another today on rc groups with s1000 a2 latest firmware in gps mode-- description-- craft started drifting then banked into ground with no response to stick input in gps mode". just letting y'all know you might want to test the a2 out on something small or wait till the dust settles....be safe out there!

fdproductions

FD Productions
Your dead on Droider.

Been away for a few days so

Sawthe video and yes it is VERY good but its when the above happens that really bothers me. When that happens in flight it does NOT go to ATTI. It goes to another place of its own choosing. somewhere in the middle of ATTI and Manual but with a bit of failsafe thrown in.. I will post the video as soon as I have processed the last few days work.

@ sk8brd. All my WKM are IMU V1

@ TahoEd. So you saying I can plug in my A2 IMU into my WKM and it will work?

Dave

fdproductions

FD Productions
doubtful the new firmware update caused theses crashes, since my s1000 while in version 2.1 did exactly what you describe below. i suspect and agree with some rumors floating around about a bad batch of GPS pucks, nothings confirmed though but when is it ever?

guys there been a few similar crashes on a2's this week just heard of another today on rc groups with s1000 a2 latest firmware in gps mode-- description-- craft started drifting then banked into ground with no response to stick input in gps mode". just letting y'all know you might want to test the a2 out on something small or wait till the dust settles....be safe out there!

Stacky

Here's a video of part of my test where I knock the thing off GPS hold....

Sorry but these tests where people push their multi's with their hands are quite frankly really really asking for trouble. I have watched DJI and other manufacturers do these things in their promo videos and its really irresponsible of them to be doing this. It in turn leads to users trying the same things. Its only a matter of time till someone gets bitten by a multi while doing this sort of test. Those props are spinning very quickly and the multi really is quite capable of acting suddenly in a manner which our reactions are too slow for.
I keep thinking about the s800 video a year or so ago where all of a sudden the multi just loses it and initially looks like its going to go straight in to the pilot and that was one where he wasnt touching the multi in flight.
The point is that we dont actually know with 100% certainty what these multis might do at any one moment, especially when we are trying to trouble shoot a possible problem.

Can people please refrain from posting video of these tests where they are physically pushing or pulling their multi's?. Its really not a good idea.

brutis

Ok Im not 100%sure or can be arsed to prove the theory but I just find it strange for a for a improved firmware to compound an existing issue and make it terribly so much worse than a previous firmware. I think there is more than one thing causing the problems, Firmware is not right and I agree with u that there is a bad batch of hardware. At first I thought it was my Gps puck, then my Imu, now seems like the main controller. Crap might as well replace the complete Fc because if one part fails its most likely the other components will too as they were manufactured together??

doubtful the new firmware update caused theses crashes, since my s1000 while in version 2.1 did exactly what you describe below. i suspect and agree with some rumors floating around about a bad batch of GPS pucks, nothings confirmed though but when is it ever?

fdproductions

FD Productions
just re-read your post, thats some pretty crazy bizarre occurrences there my friend sorry to hear that. The same exact issue happened to my s1000, but I never had the issues you mentioned prior to taking off. pm me your .dat file if you were flying with your black box markII

sk8brd

Brutis-did you have that drift before the update? on the last reported crash on the s800/s1000 thread on rc groups the guy reported his craft was flawless for weeks until the update then first flight w/update drift started to occur then later flights led to no stick input during flight. there are a couple other post claiming that yaw drift crept up only after update and prior to update all was well. i know that doesn't help the guys with drift on earlier firmwares thats probably bad hardware but that doesn't explain why others were flying w/out issues till update unless some configurations didn't transfer through like gps location, imu placement, mode switches etc.

Then there's people who report that they had yaw drift on earlier firmware that was fixed with latest update so who the heck really knows what the deal is...confusing..

Flylite

Morning all,
I should receive a new A2 on Monday so will be out testing for the following few days, will post my results too for all, Black box at the ready.
Could someone who has had issues let me know if any issue was seen flying just on Atti or manual, please mention which ver. you had installed.

As someone mentioned earlier many of the UK DJI suppliers are warning against flying with A2 and recommending Wookong as a stable known good option, quite a big statement from the suppliers so there is something very wrong here. I also would imagine this is an HW issue with the puck but that's hard to prove.
Can we all list which SN's we have and which versions we have tried - might be worth starting a GoogleDoc to log all this, it might not help DJI but it would be good to have a concise doc listing results so we may see a trend!

[Edit]

I created a G-Doc so please feel free to add your data, also please feel free to alter the Doc as you see fit.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ln58F72j7YO83hSqSu5wpnwmmYAqK_3_RIFEAgWrypE/edit?usp=sharing

Jumpy07

Flew 4 sets of packs on my Carboncore Hex tonight with the new 2.2 firmware.. didn't notice any issues..

I haven't been having GPS issues like others.. well since 2.1 was released anyway... I flipped between atti and GPS modes a few times and tested failsafe and RTL..

Have not noticed any improvements tbh. feels just like 2.1

jazzboy

Wonder why only some units are being affected. Hope DJI can get us some info as to whether it's a hardware or software issue.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Well, I have dealt with approx 10 or so A2s for various customers (me being one of the customers). All have been at 2.1 firmware and 6 have failed. NOT GOOD. 4 of these ended as crashes (and 2 ended with us landing before catastrophe occurred- I only found out about the 4th today. My tests on firware 2.2 are inconclusive as yet. Those that failed on 2.1 all flied perfectly well for a few flights and then the next flight they lost control from the TX and did their own thing. I did not witness the crashes although I did see the videos and logs of two of them- not pilot error in my opinion. The A2 is currently NOT FIT FOR COMMERCIAL USE.

jazzboy

I have been using 2.1 for three projects and test flights so far (over 30 flights) and no loss of control. I think I may have lost GPS once but that's about it. Seems quite diametrically opposed in terms of results. Must be a run or a set up quirk (not inferring user error but rather something that can go wrong during setup).

Wanted to go to 2.2 but since it's working very well, I will leave it alone for now until we know more about incidents such as Carapau's. Will watch this thread with great interest.