550 looking for 2 axis gimbal that will work with naza

I am not up on gimbals at all. I have naza M and looking to find a gimbal that will run off that system. Any suggestion. When I looked at the rctimers it says something about a board??? any help will be appreciated.

Freem

I am not up on gimbals at all. I have naza M and looking to find a gimbal that will run off that system. Any suggestion. When I looked at the rctimers it says something about a board??? any help will be appreciated.
The new Zenmuse Gimbal is awesome but limits you to Gopro, which is good enough in lots of situations. If you are looking into a different camera, you can research Photohighers AV130. You will need to consider the weight on the stock 550 motors though and maybe think about upgrading them.

photobobga

I've installed the Sky Rover system, gimbal and landing gear. After upgrading to the Hitec's 7235 digital servos I've found that it works fairly well. There is no doubt that the new brushless gimbals will offer more stability but they require their own controller.
View attachment 12715View attachment 12716

http://skyrover.us/

Best regards,
Bob

Attachments

• _MG_2639.jpg
    _MG_2639.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 354
  • _MG_2642.jpg
    _MG_2642.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 215

gtranquilla

RadioActive
I don't believe that the NAZA and WKM controllers are yet able to interface directly with any 3rd party brushless gimbal system, only the conventional servo controlled gimbals.

The challenge right now is to get the weight down on these brushless gimbal controllers as the motor are significant in size and weight and most camera cradles are still quite heavy...... therefore too much weight for an F550 unless you have upsized the motors and props.

Brushless gimbal systems require their own controller board due to the unique motor control required c/w their own very tiny IMU which must be attached directly under the camera.
The BGC - Brushless gimbal control sold by RCTimer is an open source Martinez board which utilizes Arduino software/firmware and works well for the very low price once you know how to upgrade Arduino firmware etc. all workable from a PC using MS Windows 7.
Documentation remains incomplete at this time and RC radio system pinouts to the BGC controller board are not yet documented....

The BGC - from Alexmos costs more but is a finished product c/w software/firmware and is closer to a plug-n-play solution for those not wanting to get into programming and learning Arduino. It also has features to accomodate a 3rd gimbal axis at some future date.

Both controllers allow the RC Radio operator to also remotely control the camera pitch from the ground during flights..... as well as RC control of the roll should that be needed.

eturn23

gtranquilla, I read your post on term_paint's thread and had a question for you since you know a lot more about this stuff than me. I have a DJI FlameWheel 450 with RCTiger 2814-10 motors (770 kv). I was going to switch to 4S batteries, but I just ordered a Beholder Brushless gimbal. The gimbal instructions say to use 2S or 3S batteries. Do you think I should stick with the 3S batteries I am using now or switch to 4S batteries like I was planning?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
You might also want to solicit opinions from others who have a lot more experience and knowledge ....e.g., Kloner etc. In any case DIY and modifications to an existing MR is a multidiscipline Engineering design activity that should not be taken too lightly..... to get around that I use ECalc for multicopters..... IMHO... In your case I would be inclined to use separate batteries for FPV system if ECalc confirms you should be using a different voltage for the motors. Best to have FPV fail and still have some battery reserve to fly home safely. A 1300 mah 3S battery is enough to run FPV and brushless gimbal for one or more flights. However, if you are using DJI controllers and related items you might also consider using their IOSD which contains a BEC to split off main battery voltage down to 3S for your FPV system.
gtranquilla, I read your post on term_paint's thread and had a question for you since you know a lot more about this stuff than me. I have a DJI FlameWheel 450 with RCTiger 2814-10 motors (770 kv). I was going to switch to 4S batteries, but I just ordered a Beholder Brushless gimbal. The gimbal instructions say to use 2S or 3S batteries. Do you think I should stick with the 3S batteries I am using now or switch to 4S batteries like I was planning?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Just adding landing gear to my F550 you noticed a huge difference, put the gopro on it and the flight time comes down rapidly. I don't use a gimbal and I can't imagine adding one either without upgrading the motors to something with some balls. You're going to have quite a bit of cash in this, just to get a few minutes of film out of it..

I have friends in Minneapolis area that do aerial photography and video. Besides an S800, they also have two F550s with stock motors, 1038 props, with a Sony NEX-7 mounted on a Photoship One MKTR Professional Gimbal. The love that setup, and do quite well with them.

chipwich

Good thread guys. I am running the Aeroxcraft landing gear and gimbal with a single 4S 6000 nano-tech, stock props, and can get 7+ mins. hauling a GP H2 and Wi-Fi Remote. Still, two problems with my setup. The Aeroxcraft setup, while well made and relatively easy to build, puts the GP right in the prop wash from the two front rotors. I chased a roll axis jitter for a long time until I realized that the prop wash is pushing on the arms of the gimbal. Photobobga's setup might work with all of the holes drilled in the gimbal arms, but I'd rather just get the camera out of the prop wash. So, I am going to relocate some electronics from the top plate, where I will move the battery, and then try to move the gimbal to underneath the bottom plate. I am worried about getting gear legs and other aircraft parts in the frame, but I most shoot on medium to avoid the fish eye effect. Work in progress.

Second issue is weight/mAh ratio might not be that good with the nano-techs, and want to try some lighter batteries.

Does anyone have an opinion on this set of gear? Certainly look light. They will probably be in the video frame though.

kloner

Aerial DP
for that 770 motor you have to run 4s to kee all this in the sky with at least 10" props. The beholder brushless gimbal is nice. Get yourself a small castle bec or a buck converter from ebay to turn down the voltage to the gimbal. You'll be stoked. it's martinez so it's easier to setup in the hand and seems to me has more margin for error being flown. balanced props are a must. At that size them dji 10" props are nice. Graupner are better