30 Min flight time whit fully packed octo

Sebas600

30 mins. Ha Ha. This I have to see. Spiraling temps and costs is all I see ending in total failure. It's called the law of diminishing returns.

Gas heli is the only way. Unless you are going to change the laws of physics like so many others have tried to do.

Yeah that was my idea as well... never heard of anything like this. but that's why I'm asking...

Sebas600

for full HD transmission the set is 18000 euro,s just for the video link , since i guess your friend wants no or less then 200ms latency i guess.
the less latency the more euro,s.
vislink makes these , i visited the IBC this year and cheapest one i found was 15000 give or take...

now we use a unit that is used with bomb disposals robots from Rotoconcept.
the set contains a COFDM unit with rather bnc or RCA input , has mpeg 4 decoding uses high resolution.
plenty for TV broadcast but NOT full hd.
the set is about 5000 give or take.

for law enforcement we use a pelican case with build in PC embedded , waterproof can stream live data to iPads or iPhones.
it runs win xp in a " naked" version.
the range is about in nlos 2-3 km and los 5-8 km.
the TX works on 2,4ghz uses 5mhz on bandwidth with 50mw and a whopping 25 Db.

30 minutes is possible did that , but the risk is big , that is a expensive machine.
if you have a budget of 10000 no way...

a machine like that would sell for about 26000.

but i guess if you build it for free and a margin of 1% and no guarantees you would be able to do it for less.
as far as legal implementation :

illegal to fly above 100 meters
no flying over crowds
can't imagine seeing that 12 kilo aircraft dropping on crowds from 300 meters up.
we strongly recommend to ALL our customers to NOT fly over crowds , and keep the max elevation in mind.
officially its not even allowed to fly in urban city,s.
there is a new law in the making in the netherlands that WILL come to live , and will ban anything without official approval.

Thanks for the info, this is useful. still heaven't heard the guy dough.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Sandor you cant tease us like that and not give a little :)

Any pics of the 30min setup carrying a 2 3 kg cam or specs i am very interested !

Thanks

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
And big deal about having 20 mins with no payload. Strange one for a dealer to brag with that, he should now or ?

Lanzar

This thread made my day. All that for 10k. Hd link costs more than 7k (cheap crapy one, good ones start at 15k). 30 min flightime (that will be a serious problem) ........... I would like to see who can build it.

?

Sandor you cant tease us like that and not give a little :)

Any pics of the 30min setup carrying a 2 3 kg cam or specs i am very interested !

Thanks

Boris

well the big secret is that if you carry a HD videolink why on earth would you need a 2 kilo HD camera?
you can buy sony HD CCTV camerra for less , weight is 350 gram
send it thru hd signal and record it on the ground :)

DennyR

So my point may now start to make some sense, The goal should be ways to shed weight not add it. Anything made from Steel, Alum, Copper, Wet lay-up epoxy resin, etc.etc. is out. Every gram counts. While your at it. The most efficient config. is a quad, so goodbye to four extra motors and all that goes with it. We know that smaller is more stable in the wind. DJI are not stupid. A real heavy lifter should weigh about 2.5 Kg. plus 3 KG payload. and fly reliably for 20 mins. With a 550D 30 mins is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

So my point may now start to make some sense, The goal should be ways to shed weight not add it. Anything made from Steel, Alum, Copper, Wet lay-up epoxy resin, etc.etc. is out. Every gram counts. While your at it. The most efficient config. is a quad, so goodbye to four extra motors and all that goes with it. We know that smaller is more stable in the wind. DJI are not stupid. A real heavy lifter should weigh about 2.5 Kg. plus 3 KG payload. and fly reliably for 20 mins. With a 550D 30 mins is possible.

I would really love to see a 30min flight with a 550D!!!

Ross

Sebas600

good point but the "redundancy" factor is a bit needed here... coaxial quad like Bart says? but then back with the four motors and even worse on the efficiency? or am I wrong on that?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

efficient maybe but it brings back the question of redundancy vs. quality. 4 motors to lift an expensive camera is putting a lot of faith in equipment to not fail but failures happen, it's the nature of anything electro-mechanical.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
good point but the "redundancy" factor is a bit needed here... coaxial quad like Bart says? but then back with the four motors and even worse on the efficiency? or am I wrong on that?

duplicates almost.

i guess the quality vs redundancy argument will go on forever kinda like the 2-stroke oil debates that rage on other RC sites.

i'm going to go back to quietly building my stuff. enjoy the holidays y'all.

bart

Sebas600

duplicates almost.

i guess the quality vs redundancy argument will go on forever kinda like the 2-stroke oil debates that rage on other RC sites.

i'm going to go back to quietly building my stuff. enjoy the holidays y'all.

bart

Yes you are right there. Have a nice x-mas!

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Haven't heard yet. waiting on the whole lot. spoke to him on the phone yesterday. he says he found a German company that could deliver this 30-40 min octo. I'm waiting on some more info about that.

30-40 min Octo? Yes, I know that outfit. Mickey Mouse LuftTräume GmbH.

This job is absolutely outside electric power capabilities - particularly if 2-3kg of camera has to be carried. As for the HD downlink? Just one Tx/Rx COFDM with SDI transmission that is physically small enough will blow 20,000 euros before you have even begun to think about the aerial platform.

Theoretically I could do it with the big gasser because it has the flight autonomy and payload capacity, but it is not set up for non-line of sight long distance flight. Plus, the CAA would NEVER approve it.

This is a job for a full size helicopter and, at 30,000 euros, his budget will comfortably cover that.

DennyR

It is possible for a conventional electric heli to lift a 5D for 40 Mins. I know someone on this list who is doing it.
I have been using Cineflex for some years now and the camera is a two part dockable Sony. Only the lens and the image sensor are inside the camera mount. The body is inside the AS350 along with recorders and monitors microwave downlink etc.

DennyR

efficient maybe but it brings back the question of redundancy vs. quality. 4 motors to lift an expensive camera is putting a lot of faith in equipment to not fail but failures happen, it's the nature of anything electro-mechanical.
The more motors you have the more failure points. I don't know of a single case where a motor failure occurred with 6 or 8 motors where it was recovered. Simulated yes but not in a real life situation.
The less weight you carry the less risk of failures. However you should do your own thing and find out for yourself the hard way. At least you will have some FUN doing it.
The faith you put in your motors comes from knowing exactly what load they will be subjected too and building the right components into the design. and then testing it properly before it even gets in the air. The only operational failures that I have seen come from foreign matter entering the electronic boards and causing shorts or corrosion due to hostile environments. Again more failure points.

DennyR

Yep. wrong on that. If you take the weight of each motor plus the arm, the wiring, ESC and Prop. you can make a simple calculation based on Holgers formula found on the MK site and quad wins every time. Coax. is way down the pan. If you compare the lift curve of your favorite prop. you will see that it is better at lower lift values but not nearly enough to sway the balance.

The whole reason why a conventional heli is much more efficient at lifting heavy payloads is due to the fact that it absorbs it's available power into one single large swept area.
It has static thrust efficiency that is impossible with multi rotors.