FPV Xmitter interferes with Naza GPS

Topflight

Flying a F550 with NAZA/GPS and a 2.4 mhz radio. After I get satellite lock (green light flashing), I power up my FPV xmitter (1.2mhz) and I get 3 flashing red lights along with the green light which indicates I have less than 5 satellites. I've moved the xmitter all over the 550 and most of the time I still get the
3 red/1 green lights. Once in a while I find a place that I only get the green light, but it might switch back to the 3 red/1green at anytime. I'm pretty sure the xmitter is interfering with the GPS antenna, because I can shield it (GPS antenna) with a piece of aluminum foil and it works find, except it's not practical to do so while flying. My question, would it be better to go to a 5.8 system or will I just run into the same issue? Tried with and without a low pass filter. Might my 1.2 xmitter be faulty? I've also used a separate battery to power the xmitter.
Thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
that's the only problem with 1280 is it's right near the sattelite freq. you can raise the crap out of the gps and put the vtx down on skids as far as you can or switch frequencies. 5.8 works good with gps, so does 2.4 and 900

Topflight

that's the only problem with 1280 is it's right near the sattelite freq. you can raise the crap out of the gps and put the vtx down on skids as far as you can or switch frequencies. 5.8 works good with gps, so does 2.4 and 900

Do you get the same range with the 5.8 and 900? I'm using a 2.4 radio, so probably don't want to use the 2.4.

Jhop

What did you end up doing?

I have the HT-FPV frame with NAZA Gps and i just added a 1.2ghz 1000mw. I now have the same peroblem as you do. The video is really clear so i dont wanna get rid of the 1.2 but i like to fly fpv in GPS mode for added safty

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Topflight

What did you end up doing?

I have the HT-FPV frame with NAZA Gps and i just added a 1.2ghz 1000mw. I now have the same peroblem as you do. The video is really clear so i dont wanna get rid of the 1.2 but i like to fly fpv in GPS mode for added safty

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I moved my naza forward of the top plate using an aluminum bar screwed to the top plate so I could extend the GPS further from my antenna. I then have my FPV transmitter on the lower part of my landing gear with the antenna pointing back and down. Have to move antenna around until you find a place that isn't interfering with the GPS. I also covered top plate with aluminum tape (couldn't find any copper tape) to try to shield signal. Don't know if the tape does any good, but when I have my antenna pointed correctly, I just get the green light.

I'm a little late on giving any advice but just in case let me advise you that even 5.8Vtx is dangerous to use with Naza's GPS, granted it will be less troublesome but after trying every available VTX on the market I have found that Naza GPS just doesn't play well! I have had a case of "angle lock" with every VTX purchased... I have an S-800 that I put a 600Mw 5.8 VTX & had at least 18" of space between the GPS & VTX & I had a near catastrophic failure & issue with what everyone is calling "Angle lock"... I have contacted DJI Innovations & they very reluctantly admit an issue with video transmitters & their product but in the end they basically put the blame on the VTX... I am fearfull of doing any FPV with my multirotors & Naza GPS due to the irrattic behavior & unexpected failures.. Obviously there is no issue as long as the GPS isn't connected but I'd like to see DJI find a solution to a serious problem

SMP

I run 5.8 and 1.3 simultaneously on my 550 and as posted about the only solution was to keep moving the GPS higher and higher until you can get lock. Also shielded GPS with copper tape, Shield Gopro with copper tape and tried to get as much physical separation from all components.

View attachment 10512

Attachments

• IMG00805-20130321-1259.jpg
    IMG00805-20130321-1259.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 465
Last edited by a moderator:

Topflight

Your S800 is using WooKong flight controller instead of the Naza, is that correct?

I'm a little late on giving any advice but just in case let me advise you that even 5.8Vtx is dangerous to use with Naza's GPS, granted it will be less troublesome but after trying every available VTX on the market I have found that Naza GPS just doesn't play well! I have had a case of "angle lock" with every VTX purchased... I have an S-800 that I put a 600Mw 5.8 VTX & had at least 18" of space between the GPS & VTX & I had a near catastrophic failure & issue with what everyone is calling "Angle lock"... I have contacted DJI Innovations & they very reluctantly admit an issue with video transmitters & their product but in the end they basically put the blame on the VTX... I am fearfull of doing any FPV with my multirotors & Naza GPS due to the irrattic behavior & unexpected failures.. Obviously there is no issue as long as the GPS isn't connected but I'd like to see DJI find a solution to a serious problem

Your S800 is using WooKong flight controller instead of the Naza, is that correct?
No- NAZA /M as many have been using without issues but those are the guys that aren't FPV'ing, only LOS video.. I have had this issue with my F-450 , F-550 , S800 , AND my Talon Tricopter - all of which were equipped with Naza GPS at the time of incident.. This is NOT coincidence & has been tried, tested & proven .. I have NEVER in hundreds of flights had a problem with Naza on its own! The problem has always shown itself eventually when the GPS is onboard & it has happened with 5.8/ 1.3 & 900... I don't use GPS with my FPV Naza setups anymore & I've become proficient enough of a FPV pilot that I actually prefer manual FC's although GPS is nice when you venture out of range...

AustinFPV

FPV Recon

Can you describe this failure "angle lock" ?