NAZA prop broke and landed in pond

gencode

Guys thanks,

I understand the lock tight but 2 things I don't.

1) what does this mean? "I've reefed on the nuts"
2) "Gotta counter sink your spinners just at the tip so they go on a hair further", you mean at the bottom of the props make a countersink into the new props?

Yes they did give me the NAZA-M/GPS and the f550(DJI stuff) based descriptions and friends phone videos. I also lost my fatshark equip/gear/gopro. Heres is a clip of us searching for it. We have some people that have dive tanks so we may look more later but Isaac is on its way so no flying anyhow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UStDrEosmv8

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Guys thanks,

2) "Gotta counter sink your spinners just at the tip so they go on a hair further", you mean at the bottom of the props make a countersink into the new props?

Yes they did give me the NAZA-M/GPS and the f550(DJI stuff) based descriptions and friends phone videos. I also lost my fatshark equip/gear/gopro. Heres is a clip of us searching for it. We have some people that have dive tanks so we may look more later but Isaac is on its way so no flying anyhow.

"Reef on the nuts" is from me, so I'll answer it. In this case "reef on" means to pull or tighten with the upmost strength and power one can muster. In short: Tighten the nuts as hard as you can.

Dewster

Bella thanks again for the concern, but dont they make any props that dont break?
I mean I would pay 20 bucks a prop if that were the case
Its not worth this thing crashing when im at altitude.

Don't buy into the cost of a prop thing. I paid almost $20 bucks each for six full carbon fiber props hearing that they were the rage. Less than five minutes of flight time (2nd flight) one prop broke sending my thousands dollar craft to the ground. Look at the material and not the cost. APC props are so much more forgiving. Stay away from DJI props, my full carbon fiber prop was Gemfan 10x4.? (forget). The prop broke at the hub. I heard the snap and watched my craft go down. I was thankful that it didn't cause property damage (It landed in a clearing near some trees).

Good props: APC (forgiving, flex, reliable, and cheap), Graupner E-props (I own a set, haven't heard anything bad about them except they don't handle rough treatment such as crashes well). Xoar wooden props (don't own em', but one piece design vs. sticking blades to a hub has to yield strength.). Just my opinion. Ditch the DJI props and go with the aforementioned ones. It will save you money, and heart ache.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Guys thanks,

Also, I'm not sure you need to counter sink the holes in the prop nuts/spinners. Personally I used washers that sit between the top of the motor and the bottom of the prop hub. The reason for this is the hight of the prop hub on the Graupner props is not as high as the hub on the DJI props. Therefore the propnut/spinner cannot lower far enough to put enough on the Graupners to hod the prop tight. By adding a washer you lift the prop by about one mm, this enough for the nuts to meet the top of prop hub to make a secure and tight fit. Make sure the washer's inner hole diameter is as close to exact as possible so to no unbalance the motors/props. I took my F550 to the hardware store and tried many washers until I found an exact fit for all 6 washers.
View attachment 5913
View attachment 5916View attachment 5917
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 152

gencode

Thanks so much, funny I was worried about overtightning it because one of my DJI ones split when tightening it, not even real tight, guess that should have clued me in. they gave me 2 extra so i slapped on another, guess the one that split should have clued me in they are not good.

Fransvh

I also have the Graupners now, couldn't tighten the propnut. So with a Dremel and the spherical grinder I made a bevel in the propnut. With a tiny bit of loctide it's rock steady.
View attachment 5924

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 369

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I also have the Graupners now, couldn't tighten the propnut. So with a Dremel and the spherical grinder I made a bevel in the propnut. With a tiny bit of loctide it's rock steady.
View attachment 7865
That's also a good idea. I like it. I didn't go down that road because I thought the prop nut holes did not go deep enough.

Fransvh

Well after a some flights I wasn't convinced enough that grinding out the hole of the propnut was the best solution.
So did some testing with 8mm washers, they are all to loose. Than I found that Graupner maker 8x14x0.3mm washers art.nr:4450.56. These fit perfect.
Also I use the self-locking-nuts, this feels a lot more stable.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Well after a some flights I wasn't convinced enough that grinding out the hole of the propnut was the best solution.
So did some testing with 8mm washers, they are all to loose. Than I found that Graupner maker 8x14x0.3mm washers art.nr:4450.56. These fit perfect.
Also I use the self-locking-nuts, this feels a lot more stable.

I just found the washer to. Very Cool. My washers seem ok. Mind you I took the F550 to the the hardware store and went through a whole bunch of washers and and only picked the ones that fit perfect. I used statute measurement instead of metric as this fit better than the 8mm.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
I also tryed the washers fron the hardware store, they are wider that 8mm, 8.4mm was what I could find.

I can't remember now, but I think I used 9/16th. That was actually a better fit than 8mm.
If Graupner makes them, they'll be better though.

Trickles

I had a DJI prop break off about 1/4" from the hub. My f550 was just hovering when it snapped off causing the F550 to flip hitting two arms on the street breaking them. Not a scratch anywhere else. I initially e-mailed DJI USA who told me they train dealers to fix these problems and referred me to Readymaderc.com where I had purchased the F550. The e-mail I received from Readymaderc.com

1) Does DJI warranty something like this?

A: I'm sorry to hear of damage to the multi. Unfortunately they don't cover in flight issues like that prop issue as gravity based issues can have a range of effects depending on where they happen.

You might look into the Graupner E props which are the top of the line and what I use on mine 450 sized quad and really like... totally worth the money as they are a bit pricy, but for what holds up the craft, worth it:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...rch_in_description=1&keyword=graupner&x=0&y=0

Thanks

This wasn't the response I expected but bought a replacement frame from them anyways. Waiting on some XOAR 9x5 but worried about getting a non-slipping mount to the motors.

Dewster

I had a DJI prop break off about 1/4" from the hub. My f550 was just hovering when it snapped off causing the F550 to flip hitting two arms on the street breaking them. Not a scratch anywhere else. I initially e-mailed DJI USA who told me they train dealers to fix these problems and referred me to Readymaderc.com where I had purchased the F550. The e-mail I received from Readymaderc.com

1) Does DJI warranty something like this?

A: I'm sorry to hear of damage to the multi. Unfortunately they don't cover in flight issues like that prop issue as gravity based issues can have a range of effects depending on where they happen.

You might look into the Graupner E props which are the top of the line and what I use on mine 450 sized quad and really like... totally worth the money as they are a bit pricy, but for what holds up the craft, worth it:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/in...rch_in_description=1&keyword=graupner&x=0&y=0

Thanks

This wasn't the response I expected but bought a replacement frame from them anyways. Waiting on some XOAR 9x5 but worried about getting a non-slipping mount to the motors.

I imagine that all of the suppliers get complaints when products fail for one reason or another. DJI's flipping GPS issue was so prominent that they replaced/exchanged their GPS compasses. I'm sure that only came after receiving numerous complaints.

The prop issue is an old one, but new to anyone that hasn't been on this or other forums.

Props are probably the one of cheapest part on a multirotor, but one that will cost the most if they fail. Unfortunately a high price doesn't guarantee high quality. I had an expensive carbon fiber prop break at the hub and it sent my flat hexa straight into the ground. I'll have to post a video of the damage. Unless you saw it go down you wouldn't be able to tell what it was from the wreck.

Selecting the right Props are important. Selecting the wrong one/brand or failing to properly secure them is like driving a car with three wheels (or failing to secure the wheel with lug nuts). You'll be destined for disaster. Graupners are relatively cheap when you consider what could happen if prop breaks in flight. APC props are also good. They flex vs. self destructing in flight.

I did have a little laugh at the company's response about gravity related issues. There are so many variables when you build the craft yourself and it crashes. Improper soldering, poor connections, props, receiver/transmitter/interference issues or battery problems the list goes on.

I know what you've gone through. I think most crashes (outside of DJI GPS compass issue) are related to props breaking in flight. I was able to get a refund on the defective props, but was also told that it could be from over tightening them. I only had one fail. The other props survived the violent crash which lead me to believe it was a defective. droning...

Props.... Graupners or APC is what I use. Nothing else.