Any guesses what causing the shattering noise Motors or ESCs.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

was flying today with my FPV quad quite strong wind and eventually the back left motor prop esc combo started making strange noises and loosing rpm. My guess is its the esc would be the second simony flashed ecs going bad in a month ;(. Don't want to risk flying like this but also don't want to order a new axi right away. Any guesses similar experiences with a similar shattering noise ?

frist one at arround 30 sec, than the rest when i have to land it.

Thanks

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris usually rapid esc's just burn fets. If it was a esc problem the quad would come crushing down.

Sounds like a bad bearing. Very similar sound to my crappy MT2814.

If you want to experiment Boca ceramic bearings are a sweet upgrade.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay i am going to change the motors. Just painful see a axi go like that without any impact or anything strange.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
well thats a the thing it acts like all the others no rattling when i spin it and not play in any direction.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
strange just flew inside a whole lipo pack no problems. So the difference is temperature and the strong wind it had to fight against, to the flight inside hmmm.

kloner

Aerial DP
agreed, that's a bearing dumping hard. if you pop the barrel off and stick a shaft into the bearing with a slight side pressure, you'll feel the grit in the one gone bad. can't imagine it shakes like that and not be both or all bearings in that motor

I blew out a simonK and it just stopped spinning the motor. Sits there and stutters when tried to restart post crash. no rattle about it, just thud

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
jape just took it apart and it seems like its the bottom bearing, I could hardly get the bell off. First i thought the shaft is bent, but eventually it can't be because taking it through the top bearing wasn't a problem. So the bottom bearing one must be deformed. Or not perfectly aligned with the top one.

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
measure em up and order a set. bet the shaft spun inside that inner race and fouled it up, was probably the noise in the vid, like a bushing

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
how do you guys take the bearing out. If than i am going to change them on all. I just don't want to do any damage to the motors by using to much force.

Tomstoy2

Ceramics are the way to go on a motor. It doesn't have to be Boca's. Look under bearings in your local directory, see if there is a bearing shop near you. You can get the exact same quality bearing for a lot less. If they don't have it they will order it and you don't have to pay the shipping, just drop in and pick them up.

The tolerances on ceramic bearings is a lot tighter, resulting in it makes everything a lot more smooth. Re-balance of the motors would be recommended, you'll see the difference with one of the phone analyzers out there. You can really fine tune the balance with ceramics.

Tomstoy2

Put the assemblies on a cookie sheet and soak the whole thing in a 200 degree F. pre-heated oven for 2-3 minutes, then remove.

Use a punch to push out the old bearings.
Install the new ones before the housing cools down.
Assemble the bell to armature so bearings have a chance to align together.
Let it cool back to ambient.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Cool thanks guys. I think I will only buy the kw4 motors from kopterworx now since they have the ceramic ball bearings.
to bad there aren't any smaller versions for fpv copters.

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
boca has there grade5 that work really good for this. i replaced mine with them 400 flights ago, still running

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thanks guys bird fixed :) next flight is gonna be a cow case on the country side :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
@ Tahoe Ed,

japp it is but only a S I didn't take the All4 option which was a stupid move being in a country like Austria were there can be a lot of snow. At the same time i was sad because shortly after getting the countryman the paceman was announced which I really think looks more sporty:

View attachment 4336

@ kloner,

yes its the camp HT FPV. First I had the CC board on it but eventually i changed to NAZA. I would have preferred the CC board because i just really admire the project but the NAZA is just a couple notches better. Didn't even touch the gains yet everything at default was more concentrating on the whole FPV setup up to now.

Boris

Attachments

• Mini-Paceman-Concept.jpg
    Mini-Paceman-Concept.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 260