CineStar 6 + WKM + Maytech = WOW!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Today I finished the process of swapping out the DYS ESCs on the CineStar 6 for a set of Maytechs and a new power distribution board. After a quick realignment of the motors by eye (the crash having rotated most of them off vertical) and installation of the Graupner 11 x 5 props I first flew it with, it was time for a quick test flight by light of the full moon. Out on the front lawn I connect up the battery and hear the Maytechs sing a very different song than the old DYS ESCs. Right about now I realize that without the AV130 hanging underneath the CoG is going to be off significantly, especially with the oversize 4S 8000 pack sitting up top. Well, it is only a test flight so spin up the AXI's and start taking the throttle up slowly...

First thing I notice is how much smoother it sounds with the Maytech ESCs, they have a refresh rate of 400 Hz and I programmed them for high timing with a 16 kHz switching frequency. As soon as it started getting light on the skids I bumped it up a couple notches and it rose up about 2 feet and just sat there at mid stick. A slight push up and it started to rise slowly, a little more stick and it picked up speed, back to mid point and it stopped. With no wind at all it just sat where I stopped it like it was in a solid GPS position hold but I was only in ATTI mode! A couple quick tweaks of the rudder to both right and left and it smoothly swiveled in each direction. A couple quick jabs on the elevator and aileron got it twitching in each direction, OK the CoG isn't right, best to not do that right now.

I let it hover around out front for a good 5 minutes or so and then landed to check the ESC and motor temps, both stone cold, perfect. It did wobble badly close to the ground trying to compensate for the ground effect but that will go away once I put the AV130 back on. I get the impression it's going to need some retuning of the gains with the Maytech ESCs, it is certainly a lot smoother with no signs of any wobble at all in hover or slow FF where there was a slight but noticeable wobble with the old ESCs in the same modes. I think I'll be able to dial back on the basic pitch and roll and possibly be able to take the ATTI up a bit and still have good stability in the wind, the way the weather has been around here I'll find out soon enough.

The AV130 parts arrived early this morning and that has also been repaired. I decided to wait until the CineStar had a couple test and trim flights on it before reattaching the AV130 again just in case. Tomorrow in the daylight I'll add some weight underneath to compensate for the missing AV and get the gains dialed in again. Once that's done the mount goes back on and it's time to go get some video with the new setup, I might even try using the wounded NEX 5N before it goes off to the repair depot.

Here's a couple pics of the new Maytechs with the power distribution baord, a much cleaner setup than the original build...

IMG_2033a.jpg

IMG_2034a.jpg

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Ken,

are you using a new distribution board ? Never seen it before which one is it ?

Thanks

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken,

are you using a new distribution board ? Never seen it before which one is it ?

Thanks

Boris

One of these slightly modified and mounted upside down so the ESC power wires connect directly to the board with as little wire as possible. http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...selected=Center&sn=power_board_octo&id_no=120 I did the same setup on my AD6 that I just converted from MK to WKM, works great. In the case of the AD6, the combination of short wires and a lot of carbon fiber in the frame have reduced the GPS lock time on that WKM to about 30 seconds or less. In the past four days I don't think it has taken longer than 30 seconds from 3 flashes to none, and that includes going to a different field about 15 miles away. I'm hoping with some minor mods to the GPS mounting on the CS6 I can reproduce those results, but in any case it's already faster than it was before but not quite up to what the other one is doing.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
One of these slightly modified and mounted upside down so the ESC power wires connect directly to the board with as little wire as possible. http://www.kkmulticopter.kr/index.h...selected=Center&sn=power_board_octo&id_no=120 I did the same setup on my AD6 that I just converted from MK to WKM, works great. In the case of the AD6, the combination of short wires and a lot of carbon fiber in the frame have reduced the GPS lock time on that WKM to about 30 seconds or less. In the past four days I don't think it has taken longer than 30 seconds from 3 flashes to none, and that includes going to a different field about 15 miles away. I'm hoping with some minor mods to the GPS mounting on the CS6 I can reproduce those results, but in any case it's already faster than it was before but not quite up to what the other one is doing.

Ken

Great thanks it looks very good and more to the point than the other distribution boards i have seen up to now ! Did they give you any max current the board can handle ?

Thanks

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am actually thinking about getting myself some maytechs and making a comparison to the herkules i am very curious.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I am actually thinking about getting myself some maytechs and making a comparison to the herkules i am very curious.

So far they seem to fly as nice and smooth as the reflashed versions I had on there but the throttle is a lot more linear with the Maytechs and overall it seems a lot steadier with this setup. I think these come with the settings and features they're trying to get by doing the firmware update on the Turnigy and Hobbywings, difference is I trust these a lot more than I do the hacked versions I had.

Best part is they're about $800 less expensive than a Herc setup, and individually replaceable...

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
So far they seem to fly as nice and smooth as the reflashed versions I had on there but the throttle is a lot more linear with the Maytechs and overall it seems a lot steadier with this setup. I think these come with the settings and features they're trying to get by doing the firmware update on the Turnigy and Hobbywings, difference is I trust these a lot more than I do the hacked versions I had.

Best part is they're about $800 less expensive than a Herc setup, and individually replaceable...

Ken

Japp the $800 less is an argument :) But at the same time I trust Andreas that he will adjust the herkules firmware to the needs of the WKM. He already promised. That again can be priceless in my eyes if taken serious. On the other side i dont have a herkules or WKM tattoo on me and will try anything that my budget and seems interesting.

Do you think thought that the KK board can handle the CS with 8 QCs on it same specs like the AXis more or less ?

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Great thanks it looks very good and more to the point than the other distribution boards i have seen up to now ! Did they give you any max current the board can handle ?

Thanks

Minsoo doesn't spec the board unfortunately but there's a hefty strip of copper under the epoxy so I'd guess it can handle anything I'm likely to put through it, especially considering the other PDB I had was much smaller with thinner traces for the power connections. I wouldn't try running more than 8 2814 AXIs on one, shouldn't be a problem with the 6 I have hooked up.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm so glad to hear this. Maytechs are all I have used so far and they have been wonderful. I have a WKM and Naza coming in so I look forward to trying it all out.

thanks for the update.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
IrisAerial are you in the states or europe if in europe were so you buy them. Google is not really speaking to me on this one.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
MontoRc. I got my Avrotos and Maytechs. I'm in the states. I wish I was there so I could buy from Geoff at Quadcopters but the time/shipping to get here is a bit much. Now I am trying to figure out where in the states to get the right motors/esc's for my F450/Naza. I would love to buy the maytech 20 amps but no where to be found that I have heard of.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Great Ken, glad you're back up in the air...

What I am interested is if the 40A versions are as good as the 30A one with WK-M. I have been hunting for a 5S ESC I could use for WK-M but havent had much look. Turnigy seems to be a hit miss still and I mostly see 30A maytechs so far. I guess I should settle for 4S.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Wow so you just made me spend more money! I had some DYS ESC's on order, now I ordered some Maytech's. :)

(My first post here, RCG being down pushed me to register here finally instead of just lurk)

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Just wrote to maytech directly and they have some V2 of their ESCs http://www.maytech.cn/eng/prolist.asp?protype=102
lets see how complicated it is to get is directly from them.

Boris

What I didn't see in the specs was the ability to change from 8 kHz to 16 kHz switching rate, to me that's one of the key features for large outrunner motors. I hope they didn't remove that, if they did I need to stock up on V1 Maytechs now before they're all gone!

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
While I'm on the subject, I did a couple test flights os teh CS6 today and there is indeed a BIG difference in how it flys with the Maytech vs the other ESCs I was using. It IS a lot more stable and I was able to successfully lower the gain to as low as 260 and still have it fly well. I reinstalled the AV130 and did a video test flight and it looks good, now I need to spend some time tweaking the gains for the best performance with this setup, it's close but I know it can be better. Also looked a lot better in the little bit of wind that came up, I think I'm going to like this setup...

Ken

Hi Ken,

I just read your idea of changing from 8KHz to 16KHz. Is it the Frequency parameter for an ESC that you are talking about?
The six Jeti MasterSpin I own for the cinestar6 have a lot of param. to play with, but on this one particular I thought it was always 8KHz that was the good value for most of motors.
Do you think I should make a test with a different value (I've got QC motors) and have a better stab?

Thanks for your advice !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Just ordered 8 MT35A-OPTO-V2 directly from maytech, lets see what they can do. Gonna put them on my hexa first and check out their performance.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
What I didn't see in the specs was the ability to change from 8 kHz to 16 kHz switching rate, to me that's one of the key features for large outrunner motors. I hope they didn't remove that, if they did I need to stock up on V1 Maytechs now before they're all gone!

Ken

Ah damm i didnt catch on to that. I hope they still have the ability, lets see. No use to ask now if true they are shipped already.

Boris