New Octo, very unstable!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
What this yellow tape construction you have your IMU mounted to. As far as I can see on my RC carbon frame there is a hole in the middle. Is this IMU frame connection really solid ?

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
By the way i would mount the futaba on the landinggear sideways. If you look in the manual of the futaba RX the two antenna should be separated from each other on a 90 degree angle. Having it directly mounted on top of the plate and the antenna just munched in somewhere will not give you a good performance for your TX RX setup.

There is enough space in the RC carbon landing gear and if you move out the MC to the edges of the centerplate the cables between RX and MC should also be long enough.

View attachment 2124

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 245

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
From the config i dont really see anything majorly wrong that would make your bird flip at take off !

Did you check everything from the cabling soldering side concerning the motor wiring ? Take off you props have the motors spin up and rock your bird forward back left right etc. and see if you hear feel any abnormalities on how the motors are regulated maybe you a have bad soldering point that comes to action with vibration certain movements that results in a motor dropping its performance.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
munk actually the best would be get someone to hold the frame over his head by holding the booms. With props on give some gas and he person should start moving the copter forward back left right. The resistance or the motor compensation should be the same all the ways arround if it is not you now that you either wired something up the wrong way, have an issue with the props or something with the soldering it not working out. Actually the fastest and best way to test this. Just dont hassle the test over the head take all precautions that nothing dangerous can happen.

Boris

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
Hi Muunk, what brand of ESC`s do you have on the bird ? , not all ESC`s work with the WOOKONG-M. Supported ESC output by WKM is 400Hz refresh frequency.

jetforce

FLY HIGH AND STAY HIGH
Hi Again, IMU orientation, GPS X -4 and Z +13. you are infront and abowe CG.

Imagine a spot on the drawing where your IMU and GPS are according to CG. and follow the red or green lines, then you have + or -

Muunk

Hi again guys!

Well I dont know about you, but I´m pretty sure that the problem has been found - a software bug :frog: If it dosn´t help when I upgrade to 5.02 firmware, I´ll go nuts :cold:

Tomorrow I´ll hopefully have time to change ESC and motor, and test fly the bird with the new software. If that dosn´t solve the problem, I´ll try all the tips you have written to me. Thanks very very much, until now :tennis:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
its the angle it wasn't that close :) Balls of steel you are right though my standard statement when i go out and meet girls :) they never buy it though have to show them the video !

Muunk

So Guys, I´ve tried with the new 5.02 firmware today, and this is what happend:

http://youtu.be/hsEUD40mVe4

As you can see, its still very unstable. I´ve made the remote gain, and as I could see it begin to dance, I turned in down, but it was stille impossible to control.

:upset:

broadwing

He Muunk,

looks awfull. Noise?
Looks like I2C errors of MK .....

Did you have BEC, red wire of ESC connected?
My Hexa flies good but has errors on servo for camera.

rgds
Koos

Muunk

He Muunk,

looks awfull. Noise?
Looks like I2C errors of MK .....

Did you have BEC, red wire of ESC connected?
My Hexa flies good but has errors on servo for camera.

rgds
Koos

Hi!

No redwire is not connected on any ESC.

It´s noise I know, could it be a timing problem?

Can you explain "I2C errors of MK"?

broadwing

@redwire So no disturbance from that influence.

I know DJI, this system, has no I2C but it looks simular.
With MK you sometimes get interference of RF of EMC on the controlbus (I2C). We had a situation that the behavior of the machines looked the same.
Can it be groundloop or no ground?

Can your RF be the

Muunk

@redwire So no disturbance from that influence.

I know DJI, this system, has no I2C but it looks simular.
With MK you sometimes get interference of RF of EMC on the controlbus (I2C). We had a situation that the behavior of the machines looked the same.
Can it be groundloop or no ground?

Can your RF be the

Sorry, but can you better describe what you mean with "interference of RF of EMC on the controlbus (I2C)" and "groundloop or no ground" and "Can your RF be the" ?

rwilabee

What is the web site that will carry the frame

Rich

Hi!

Just got my new Octo (allmost) in the air today.

This is my equipment:

8 x MK3638
8 x Detrum 30A ESC
Wookong M
And a frame from altigator, wich is not at their site yet.

My problem is that it is very unstable, and will tilt to one side or another when I try to get it in the air.

I´ve tried to set the roll and pitch gain from 80 % to 400%, but it seems like there i no improvement at all. I even managed to flip the entire octo on its top, and destroyed a motor,AND the ESC when tested after the crash (luckely nothing happened to the frame or gps sitting on its carbon rod (Its strong!!))
View attachment 3268

I have tried with and without expo, but same problem..

Can anyone tell me what I´m doing wrong?

It must be said, that I can control both RC planes and helicopter normally without problems - the octo in the picture is not mine, but from altigator.

elossam

Your not alone on this war. First flight of my octo with dji + herkules esc. Similar behaviour, increasing the basic gains up to 170 helped me to take off and go away from ground effect. Still unstable compared to the cx4 with the same equipment. First of all I needed to place the power module away from the esc as it made at first the while light blink continuously. Once separate that was solved but the flight conditions are still the same. Seems to me you are still playing low gains but high ones will not cure your problems at all, nor mines. Didn' t engage the atti mode and will not untill I feel comfortable in manual mode. Next steep put away the gps antena which is currently placed over the IMU, next try a different wire routing, disable the camera gimbal corrections, reprogram the esc, change the sign of the Z value in imu position to see if it has any relation and finaly prai to any of these changes solve the trouble. Have set two quads with dji and the two are fliying great from first flight.