Wookong-M on a RC-Carbon 900 mm boom

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
only 30 fps so the pan is a little rough also but i must say otherwise the pan is quite smooth, to fast from my flying but first have to get used to the bird and were the trees are !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
just tested failsafe twice in the row. Filmed the second run. Worked perfectly.

I simulated it with a switch and didn't turn off the Radio. Sorry about the bad quality but the GoPro seemed easier to handle than a DSLR filming alone.

I pushed him away about 40 50 meters. First I gave him GPS hold than I switched to Failsafe. He climbs another 5 - 10 meters and returns home safe and lands in front of me !

Nice one.

http://sprealinvest.at/failsafelanding.mov

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Wow Boris, that is brilliant, it's as graceful as watching a beautiful lady getting undressed :) Pity the Mk can't do it like that!

Please tell me how you configured the switch to activate failsafe, I would like to configure mine permanently to do that.

Thanks, Gunter.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Gunther the best probably is a 3 switch like i have it at the moment. You will dedicate one channel to the flight modes manual attitude mode and GPS. I am no using manual at all only Attitude and GPS, to the first position of the switch is programmed to Failsafe than attitude mode and GPS hold. Might switch that around.

Nothing big to it once you have a three switch assigned to channel 5 or what ever channel is used to trigger flight modes, just alter the servo setting for that channel and you will see in the config tool what flight modes you are triggering with which servo %.

By switching away from Failsafe you can stop the coming home and landing process and proceed with what ever flight modus you choose. So its also a simple coming home feature.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Or even better would be two different switches. Three switch catching the middle for sure always takes some concentrations that should be on the bird.

switch one

position one attitude mode
postion two gps hold

switch two

position one failsafe off
position two failsafe on

Switch two overrides switch one, dont know to much about radios, i wonder if my graupner can do that.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Boris, thanks for that, I will try and set it up when I install it.

Can you also tell me, when it's in GPS mode, can you still fly it? ie when GPS hold is on, can you move it to a new position and when you let the sticks go, it stays there?

Thanks, Gunter.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp thats what it does ! But GPS is only usable for taking fotos. I might be wrong but in GPS hold and filming which i did just for testing and wind hits the bird it gets even more nervous. But lets see what they do with the next FW update.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
gunter so so , its getting there but potential left in the given firmware and than the new one is coming, so the next weekends will show and am i pretty positive it will improve even more !

UAVshop

Hi Guys,

New to this forum - just flicked through and I thought I'd make a couple of comments - a little late maybe but still!

RE motors & ECSs:
Just a quick point here. People have been talking about voltage regulation and the heat that causes in terms of brushless motor ESC operation.
FYI ESCs for brushless do not regulate voltage to adjust motor speed. The ESC applies the full pack voltage to the motor at all times, it simply turns the current on and off for a longer time at higher throttle and shorter at lower.
If you are using Axi motors, use Jeti ESCs. The companies are connected and the two are degined for each other. I've used his combo for years and have never had a compatability issue or a failure. Also they produce 'opto' ESCs i.e. optically isolated electronics, so you never get an earth loop or interference between the main power system and the FCS power system. Need to use an Rx battery though...

Re Main power wiring:
A ring design is risky due the magnetic field it can produce. 2.5mm single core domestic cable in two crosses (for +ve and -ve soldered at the mid point) and batteries feeding in at the cross. No problems at all! I've used this on my largest system, 4 x Axi 4130s, 60A Jeti opto ESCs, 16 x 10 3 blade props, 2 x 8000mah Thunder Power Lipos, and that power distribution config didn't miss a beat, overheat or cause any issues at all! I'd recommend putting ESCs somewhere in the airflow rather than in the hub for cooling sake!

Alex

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Alex,

i was thinking about trying the Jeti Opto, but the price scared me and on the other hand before i dont really know what ESCs are best for the DJI setup i will not risk it. DJI commented that some expensive high quality ESCs will not do the job due to low responds time and certain filters in the firmware, the actual MHZ should be secondary. I cant argument it because i know to little about it, just restating what came from DJI and other people knowing more about ESCs than i do.

I am doing a new build though now with the DJI and MK FC if it works hot swap the two FC with these controller, capable of I2c and PPM, response time smaller than 20µsec, http://www.andreasbaier.de/index.php/en/herkules-2.

From my initial setups i changed the distribution ring completely and i am now using http://abusemark.com/store/index.ph..._id=14&zenid=715f0cd9c70c5fcae11845e337af91f9 which worked out to reduce a lot of weight. At the begging concerned of the amps it can handle i considered to use two of them one for 3 motors, tried it with one though and i am not having any issue with my 6 axi 2820 and i was really beating my bird in the last couple flights pushing it to the max ! Only thing a little hot (before the pain level) are the ESCs, but they are still powering the WK-M since i haven't gotten the power module yet.

DId you use the 60A jeti ESCs with WKM or with MK FC or a different FC ?

Thanks

Boris

UAVshop

BorisS

You're not wrong about the price of Jeti! Ouch! And they've suffered enormously at the hands of China in the last few years as a result. I think they're worth it but it's judgement call. People seem to have a lot of problems withn their ESCs.....
Regarding update rates and compatability, I've tried all sorts. First I should say that I contacted Jeti some time ago and they stated their ESCs were good for 100Hz+, but I've pushed them much further.
I started years ago with a Futaba GY 352 gyro (dual axis), feeding into an FMA CoPilot, then into an AP2000 CCPM mixer in 4 servo mode. Airframe about 100cm hub to hub. Yaw was managed by vectoring the rotors. This used the Jeti / Axi combo and unbelieveably did fly! It was tricky though and I'm not a great pilot, scared the h**l out of me!
Obvious problems, IR sensing is not great and the whole system was running at 50Hz! Flew though!
There were no affordable systms at that time so I then went to a Micropilot 2128 Heli. Unbelieveble system if only it worked. Kinda did but at at that time the inner loops would only run at 90Hz (there's lot going on in this system!), and their levelling algs were still being worked on (for years I might add - probably brilliant now!). Kinda flew in the end, again same Jeti / Axi combo.
Next UAVP. Early board tested on a balance beam (see saw). This had some issues but levelled brilliantly when it was working right. In the software you can ramp the ESC update rate to 400Hz (if I remember rightly - maybe someone out there can remember better than me?) which I did with no problems. Settled at 200Hz and you could put a bag of sugar on one arm and it wouldn't move. Balance beam 110cm hub to hub, 4120 motors and 14 x 7, 3 blade Master Airscrew. Actually as it turned out this prop is a little heavy for this motor, but it just about coped.
Since then the same combo has been used (with various props etc) with FY-90Q and 91Q.
I have DJI coming in the shop in about a week and I'm going to try one myself - drag out an old big airframe and see what happens, yikes!

Alex

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Guys,

New to this forum - just flicked through and I thought I'd make a couple of comments - a little late maybe but still!

RE motors & ECSs:
Just a quick point here. People have been talking about voltage regulation and the heat that causes in terms of brushless motor ESC operation.
FYI ESCs for brushless do not regulate voltage to adjust motor speed. The ESC applies the full pack voltage to the motor at all times, it simply turns the current on and off for a longer time at higher throttle and shorter at lower.
If you are using Axi motors, use Jeti ESCs. The companies are connected and the two are degined for each other. I've used his combo for years and have never had a compatability issue or a failure. Also they produce 'opto' ESCs i.e. optically isolated electronics, so you never get an earth loop or interference between the main power system and the FCS power system. Need to use an Rx battery though...

Re Main power wiring:
A ring design is risky due the magnetic field it can produce. 2.5mm single core domestic cable in two crosses (for +ve and -ve soldered at the mid point) and batteries feeding in at the cross. No problems at all! I've used this on my largest system, 4 x Axi 4130s, 60A Jeti opto ESCs, 16 x 10 3 blade props, 2 x 8000mah Thunder Power Lipos, and that power distribution config didn't miss a beat, overheat or cause any issues at all! I'd recommend putting ESCs somewhere in the airflow rather than in the hub for cooling sake!

Alex

The ESC heat problem as it applies to the WKM controller lies with the BEC circuit and not in motor driver circuit. There have been reports by some people that the BEC circuitry has gotten hot enough to melt the shrink wrap on the ESC. With the recent release of the power module for the WKm controller there is a certain amount of credibility to the assumption that this heat problem is due to current draw by the WKm itself. Now with the power module the recommendation is to remove the +V wire from the ESC connector and run the WKm and RX from the power module feed to eliminate this problem.

Personally I have at least a dozen hours of run time on my WKm hex and have yet to experience the heat problem so it appears to only effect certain brands of ESCs or maybe certain WKm from a production batch with incorrect or marginal components, the exact reason we will likely never know and with a proper hardware solution from DJI it is now a non-issue.

Ken

UAVshop

Hi Ken,

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up!
I know they released a power module, but I'm new to this system so I think I've luckily missed out on this particular problem!
With a dozen hours you should have a good grasp of the system by now.
How do you find it?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken,

Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up!
I know they released a power module, but I'm new to this system so I think I've luckily missed out on this particular problem!
With a dozen hours you should have a good grasp of the system by now.
How do you find it?

It's taken quite a while to understand the tuning capabilities of the WKM and in the beginning it didn't work quite so well on large and heavy frames with the default settings. Initially I had it on a testbed MK quad frame and it performed brilliantly in that configuration regardless of conditions. Swapping it over to a 650mm Y6 proved quite a different matter, a lot of wobbling and instability in all but calm conditons. After much trial and error I've arrived at settings that eliminate the majority of the stability problems and the WKM is becoming a very competent APV platform, equalling and in many cases exceeding the quality of video that I can obtain using my Mikrokopters. There will be a firmware release within the next week that addresses the problems encountered with large frames and addditional weight, it will be interesting to see how much difference there is with the new softare vs. where the hex is currently at with my revised settings.

Certainly the WKm does not currently have all the capabilites that either of my MK hex currently have but I think as time goes on they will start to catch up and at the very least be a competitor where no one has yet to really challenge MKs position in the market. I've posted a number of videos in my Y6 thread here in the DJI section and a couple of the latest in my wind stability post if you want to see the kind of results you can get with the current state of the WKM.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Adding to Kens statements which I totally agree with and have experienced in the same way, I am very pleased with how easy it is to control a WK-M bird. Since the altitude hold in attitude mode it so smooth and precise even if 50 cm of the ground or 20m etc. The concentration is mainly on my right hand. I cant pin point it why or in correct words but controlling the bird also forward backwards and yawing it left or right seems so much more precise and easy to control. Flying my MK really seems like stress and work compared. Yawing (full 360) my MK 4 meters away from a tree would have never been an option for me or flying a bigger copter in my apartment.

Especially for resellers or RTF dealers i think the WK-M could be a very interesting option reducing build time compare to a BL ctrl setup for a MK or having to deal with claims afterwards that something was wrong plainly due to the fact that the customers wasn't able to control the MK. WK-M would certainly be more friendly to newbies dealing with multis the first time !

Boris

UAVshop

Ken & Boris!

Thanks so much for the appraisal, very helpful!
I'm glad the DJI worked well on the Quad config as that's where I'll be to begin with. Were you flying in + or x mode?

I will be waiting with interest to see the firmware upgrade for the larger airframes. I went though something similar with MicroPilot - they had to radically redesign their PID loops to get the required gain into the system. Mush greater changes were needed than you would expect!
Will check out your Vids Ken!
I think you're right about a slight lack of functionality in the DJI but I'm sure we'll see more come quickly once the current issues are sorted.
I'd like to see 3 axis camera stabilisation with camera lock and object tracking by GPS!

You both sound very positive though, and that's great! I gather mine is on it's way...... :)

Alex

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Finally have my rollcage finished. Do to the carbon I am going to try to mount the GPS directly hoping the rod will not be necessary anymore.

View attachment 1297

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 381