Wookong-M on a RC-Carbon 900 mm boom

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
throttle control is very different. With my AD8 MK I would be loosing it to fly it in the apartment. A little over mid point and the thing would be against the ceiling. Flying seems a lot simpler with the WKM in attitude mode. I couldn't try it yet but I am wondering when the throttle really punches in. At a certain point when you increase throttle is the signal interpreted by the MC and it really gives the motors a punch ? At the moment it just seems like the WKM really tames my bird.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
throttle control is very different. With my AD8 MK I would be loosing it to fly it in the apartment. A little over mid point and the thing would be against the ceiling. Flying seems a lot simpler with the WKM in attitude mode. I couldn't try it yet but I am wondering when the throttle really punches in. At a certain point when you increase throttle is the signal interpreted by the MC and it really gives the motors a punch ? At the moment it just seems like the WKM really tames my bird.

Keep in mind that ATTI mode is also a vario altitude hold so you won't get a huge punch of power unless you push the stick all the way up rather quickly. If you use manual mode you find the throttle responds as you expect it to but also the multi is no where near as stable since you're now flying on gyros only and all that mass doesn't want to not stay level on its own. I was quite surprised at how uncontrolled both the test bed quad and the Y6 felt in manual mode although the Y6 is much better now with the default gain settings more than doubled. I think manual mode would work great for aerobatics however I'm not about to start doing loops and flips with a flight controller system that costs about 6X what the quad it would be sitting on is worth!

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Ken,

had some time today to test some settings. All I can say is that this thing is so smooth in the air and so easy to fly i am more than impressed. I think i made my choice future builds that should be a vid platform will be WK-M.

Boris

Borneoben

Hi Boris

Thanks for posting your views.
I am also considering a wookong m for an aerial platform.

Have you had any of the issues with ESC's over heating as has been discussed on RCG?

Cheers

Ben

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Japp i was reading this yesterday. I dont have the situation that my ESC get hot if the bird just stands and the lipo is connected. They do get hot after 8 to 9 min hover. I dont have anything to measure the temperature, but i can put my finger on without getting burned and i can keep it on without pain. But i am a little worried since i am flying without any payload at the moment.

I just ordered 5s lipos because i think they are better for the 2820/14 axis and if i understand it correctly, although I am a little confused due to different comments on this topic, more voltage reduce the current consumptions thus heat. Like said I am not sure about this or misunderstanding something.

Concerning the flight behavior I will post some videos soon to back this up

Borneoben

HI Boris

Yes generaly the higher teh voltage teh lower the current. It normally current that generates the heat. As long as your ESC's can handle 4s i would say go for it.

You may need to find a different prop. Maybe drop down a size and or reduce the pitch.

let us know how you get on.

Ben

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay thanks Borneoben, I just ended up in some physics forum and got completely confused :) Also going to test to set down the timmig on the ESCs to middle, that could also help with the heat.

Boris

It is not always straightforward Ohms Law stuff as motor efficiencies, magnetics, induction, heat, etc. are playing their parts here. In general though if nothing changes except the voltage the current that flows in a electrical circuit is directly proportional to the applied voltage...ie...if more voltage is applied (a 4s battery replacing a 3s battery) then more current will flow. However when current flows it, in turn and amongst other things, 'generates' heat that will effect how well the current flows and how well the magnetic fields of the motor builds up, decays, performs, etc..

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
HI David,

thanks for the explanation but now i am confused again :). Please correct me but thats what i am pulling out of your explanation. More voltage thus more current can flow which will result in more heat. But in a practical sense a system that needs 40A at full thrust with 4s will need less current with 5s thus less heat is produced ? With other words do you agree or disagree with Bens explanation ?

Thanks

Boris

BorisS, as I tried to imply in my post reply there is an awful amount of 'stuff' going on in motor circuits... magnetic induction, significant electrical reactance as well as normal electrical resistance. The ESC is effectively an electronic 'interface' between the manual control...eg...throttle...and the the motor. Therefore, assuming the ESC has been programmed correctly, the voltage allowed through to the motor will be at a minimum when the throttle is at a low and at a maximum when the throttle is at a high...this is where the quality (and usually cost) of the ESC as well as the motor is important...how it handles electronic signals from the throttle and outputs voltaage to the motor. Are the motor and ESC capable of handling these higher voltages when at full throttle for instance. Of course one way of reducing the heat output from a motor is to increase the conductor size (usually copper) but the motor then becomes heavier. The motor manufacturers spend thousands (and probalby millions) in R&D for materials used for motor manufacturew.

jes1111

Boris - sorry, haven't been following this thread (no direct interest in Wookong). You are modelling your setup in eCalc, right? Voltages, current, hover throttle, battery discharge rates, prop sizes, etc. - none of that should be guess-work or trial and error. ;)

btw: ability to hold your finger on it without pain means 50-55°C max - not a problem. Components on the ESC will be rated to (probably) 85°C. I'd start worrying if the temp goes above 60°C (pain threshold) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS...jes1111 is absolutely right, the selection of all kit at this level and at these costs is and has to be more than a little scientific. fortunately products like ecalc are at our disposal and although I havnn't used it in depth yet I do understand that ecalc is a very useful tool for establishing all the calculations to enable you to purchase the correct kit for your needs and setup.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I cant really tell you yet. I am hovering most of the time with my copter and i don't think that the motors are pulling more than 10a max at that state still the ESCs are getting hot, close before pain level.

I have to test change and try 2 options:

Lowering the timing mode to low or middle. Saome statements in the RCgroup DJI WKM forum were posted that high timing on you ESCs is not necessary and rather stresses the ESCs instead of adding any benefit. Since some argument in this way others completely contrary I will have to try it.

Also there was some concern that the ESCs are getting hot when their BECs are used at the same time.

Just rebuilding my distribution ring and relocation my receiver in the hope to increase GPS performance than i will get back to you on that.

Dixter

Just rebuilding my distribution ring and relocation my receiver in the hope to increase GPS performance than i will get back to you on that.

Boris, If you could when you get done with your ring could you post pictures... I'm thinking about building the same setup as you have and any and all info you wouldn't mind sharing would be beneficial... thanks

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Dixter,

i am going to switch over to a product for the distribution ring. Things just get cleaner i have very short cables directly to the ESCs and the weigh will be reduce by 50 - 100 Grams.

View attachment 990

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited by a moderator:

Dixter

Thanks Boris... where do you find a " AfroPower " power distribution board... can't find it on google...

also... how do you like your new bird compared to your AD8 HLE