Wookong-M on a Y6

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ken would you say that although you probably brought down the Attitude gain under 100 % to get a good result in the wind gust etc. That the WKM is still less work to fly as a bird with MK. Do you think its only the constant altitude hold that eases the flight or does the simple controlling also seem more advanced although low with the attitude mode ?

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken,

Thanks for keeping us all up to date with the WKM, mine arrives tomorrow, but I can't get it flying for another couple of weeks, I'm still waiting for a few other bits to arrive.

If you get a chance, are you going to test the failsafe RTH function? I'm dying to know how that works, if it is actually as good as the DJI videos shows...let us know!

Thanks,

Gunter.

I have tested it actually although I'm using the hover mode rather than RTH at the moment. If I flip the switch to failsafe it just stays where it is, when I click back to manual it releases and I get control back. I think if I waited long enough it would also autoland in hover mode, don't know for sure, maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow. I'd love to test RTH but there's no way I can do it in the the neighborhood, way too many trees and quite a few that look higher than 20 meters!

ken would you say that although you probably brought down the Attitude gain under 100 % to get a good result in the wind gust etc. That the WKM is still less work to fly as a bird with MK. Do you think its only the constant altitude hold that eases the flight or does the simple controlling also seem more advanced although low with the attitude mode ?

Boris

I'm way under 100% on ATTI mode, depending on the degree of wind it's somewhere between 50 and 70%, seems to work really well there, I can float it on the wind and get acceptable video. I've got a video from testing in the wind this afternoon loading up now, a bit over 3 minutes of raw 1080P 60FPS from the Nex 5N that Youtube is having a hard time digesting, says about 45 minutes to upload 700 meg! Normally I'd crunch it down into Windows format first which not only reduces size but uploads very fast, this time I wanted to see how Y/T would deal with it raw, answer is, not very well. I'll add the link when it's done but it's going to take a while...

So the things I like about the WKM vs the MK. First ATTI mode and the varo altitude hold, what every manufacturer dreams about but none have managed to achieve prior to DJI and the WKM, it makes anything you put it on easy to fly. Easy enough that you don't have to wonder or worry about what the multi might do, you KNOW what its going to do, so you can focus on aiming the camera where you want it and be as smooth as you possibly can with the sticks, definitely takes the pressure off the pilot.

Second, the balance between tuning ability and plug and play, they got it right, just enough parameters to dial in the setup and everything just plugs together. Hoverfly claims plug and play as its biggest strength but its also its biggest weakness, the lack of tuning ability leaves you with few options other than what it can do out of the box and one size definitely does not fit all from my experience with a Hoverfly Pro board. On the other hand you have MK that is fiendishly complex to tune properly but can be made to fly quite nicely on just about anything if you have enough patience and time to play with the settings until you get it right.

Support, DJI so far is doing a great job listening to users and responding as quickly as possible to reasonable requests, try emailing Holger and asking him to change the software and see what you get for a response!

Camera gimbal setup and tuning, by far the easiest and best I've encountered in the world of multirotors, and if the teaser videos I've seen are any indication things are going to get a LOT better very soon. If DJI comes through with what they're hinting at there will not be any question about which is the best flight controller and camera mount for APV, now lets see if they can make it affordable too...

Ken

OK, video is finally ready...

Last edited by a moderator:

Quick update, the former Y6 now hex is pretty much as dialed in as it's going to get with the current state of the firmware and actually it's doing pretty good! Now that I've flown the Nex 5N on it I just can't seem to go back to the GoPros which is probably just as well since the mount works better with the heavier 5N on it. Did a little bit of flying at lunch time in a moderate gusty breeze and it did almost as well as the MKs can do in similar conditons so I'm happy enough with the WKM to swap the old AV130 for the new one, I'll do that tonight and try to get it dialed in tomorrow. I think with the right gimbal settings and the new AV130 the video should be pretty steady even in wind now that I've managed to subdue the majority of the wobble and bobble in the breeze.

I hope the weather holds out for the weekend so I can get video of something other than my front and back yard...

Ken

Hi Ken,

What settings did you end up with on your AD6? I'm currently battling to stop the wobbles on my ADX3. I'm currently on 160% for Pitch and Roll, and 180% for both the Attitude gains. I haven't touched
the advanced parameters as yet. By the looks of your previous post, I need to wind my gains up quite a bit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Is there any reason no one has tried the remote gains to figure out the sweet spot? Or maybe you have and just didn't mention it. I wish the JR radios had more dials than sliders. The only slider left is my left one and it is very sensitive to change. but if I had a Futaba radio I would think this would be a great way to try out different values on the fly.

Aerialstudios

Hi my name is Patrick Ive built a Y6 its 800MM and I use the WKM for a FC it used to be a flat hex but it crashed because of one of 2 things mechanical failure due to a bullet connector or of the 5.18 firmware that caused alot of users to crash but non the less I was positive about it and I rebuilt everything with new parts except the FC :) but the last thing I need is help with the gains settings I'm using the old ones ( from the flat Hex) but I read your postings and I don't wanna chance another crash could you give a hand?

Regards and respect,
Patrick

Hi my name is Patrick Ive built a Y6 its 800MM and I use the WKM for a FC it used to be a flat hex but it crashed because of one of 2 things mechanical failure due to a bullet connector or of the 5.18 firmware that caused alot of users to crash but non the less I was positive about it and I rebuilt everything with new parts except the FC :) but the last thing I need is help with the gains settings I'm using the old ones ( from the flat Hex) but I read your postings and I don't wanna chance another crash could you give a hand?

Regards and respect,
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I'm using the settings from the DJI website for my F550 and it flys much better.
.View attachment 11003

Cheers Paul

Attachments

• Wookong settings.jpg
    Wookong settings.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 271