HDMI GH3 No Video

Matto822

When I start the recording on the camera the screen goes black on the TV but I can still see the iosd just not the camera live feed and when I stop recording it is still black and does not come back on. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Camera settings would be the first place to look at. Try the camera off the gimbal and if the live screen goes off when you start recording then you have a setting somewhere in the camera causing this.

Matto822

The camera screen does turn off tho just the monitor the camera operator is looking at goes blank but still shows the iosd. Do you still think this is a camera setting?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yeah, HDMI output is different than record quality and won't affect recording. I mentioned 720p simply because on the GH2 that is the preferred setting. You should find it in the settings menu somewhere. On the GH2 is is simply called HDMI.

Hope you sort it out. It's only a matter of time. Could be your PAL/NTSC setting also . I forget which one is correct.

iceman

Yeah, HDMI output is different than record quality and won't affect recording. I mentioned 720p simply because on the GH2 that is the preferred setting. You should find it in the settings menu somewhere. On the GH2 is is simply called HDMI.

If you set the GH2 to 720p it will revert to and record 1080i as soon as you plug in the HDMI, GH3 will record in any mode regardless of HDMI setting (even when HDMI isplugged in)

iceman

Correct me if I am wrong but the GH2 will not record in 1080p if you plug in the HDMI, it will revert to 1080i no matter what you set the mode to record in.

Matto822

Correct me if I am wrong but the GH2 will not record in 1080p if you plug in the HDMI, it will revert to 1080i no matter what you set the mode to record in.

My output is set to 1080i and screen still goes black on monitor when I hit record I also tried 720 with same result. Any other ideas?

Benjamin Kenobi

Iceman "Correct me if I am wrong but the GH2 will not record in 1080p if you plug in the HDMI, it will revert to 1080i no matter what you set the mode to record in."

You are correct except for HBR mode which will do 1080p@25fps. Alas all the other modes will only do 1080i which is really annoying. I see why lots of people go for the GH3. It's the next camera for me (but you can be sure the day I buy it the GH4 will come out).

Sorry my posts always come out so stubbornly. I always post with a smile and a laugh but it doesn't come across when I type! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey Matt,

Just out of interest how are you trying to view the live feed? On a TV set or monitor directly or through a video transmitter and then a receiver?

Matto822

Hey Matt,
Just out of interest how are you trying to view the live feed? On a TV set or monitor directly or through a video transmitter and then a receiver?

I am using the dji 5.8 ghz system going to a 7 inch monitor with just the av in on the monitor. It shows fine until I hit record and then the monitor goes black and to get it back I have to reboot the s800.

Benjamin Kenobi

Still sounds like a camera setting. What have you tried so far? Tried the settings mentioned in this post like HDMI output and PAL/NTSC?

Benjamin Kenobi

Just keep changing settings. Something will click eventually or someone will chime in with the solution. I had this problem when I first started and it was the HDMI output. I had it on automatic (which was wrong) and it had to be 720, this is with a GH2 so different to the problem you're having.

Matto822

Just keep changing settings. Something will click eventually or someone will chime in with the solution. I had this problem when I first started and it was the HDMI output. I had it on automatic (which was wrong) and it had to be 720, this is with a GH2 so different to the problem you're having.

I have a question about the wiring from the zen to the iosd. The cable u have to solder together. If I am seeing it correctly it is a four pin connector ground power av1 and av2. I think I may have wired it wrong. I wired ground av1 and power which looking back on the diagram it only shows ground and av1 could this be affecting anything?