Mikrokopter Droidworx AD 8 HLE (First Build)

RBlax

OK Buzzer working and I have calibrated the compass. Everything is green, and working!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RBlax

I thought I had the gyro's calibrated but it seems that the buzzer is going bananas as I throttle up the power to the motors. Only when they are powered up and getting power...

Everything else is looking good. I will be putting the props on later tonight.

ovdt

When you calibrate gyros, how many times the buzzer beeps? I recommend you to use beginner mode.

Switch flight mode to beginner (mode 3) by holding left stick upper left while holding right stick upper center. Hold until you hear 3 beeps. You only need do this once to set Kopter to mode 3 unless of course you update the firmware at a later time.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I will be putting the props on later tonight.

ARE YOU REALLY CONFIDENT?

Make sure you have no doubt that EVERYTHING is perfect before you put the props on.. or if you do.. tie the bugger down.

Dave

RBlax

ARE YOU REALLY CONFIDENT?

No not completely yet and I'm not rushing, I guess that statement was in hopes of being confident after working on it all day.

Had to run into work for a few hours so I'll get the beep series once I'm back home chugging away.

I did notice when throttling up the motors thr buzzer was beeping frequently and was looking into it when I got called in.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Did the motors start and the buzzer stated beeping or just a beeping and no motors spinning ?

Boris

RBlax

Sorry, I've been on the road and haven't been able to follow up. Yes the motors startup, when applying power to the motors the buzzer beeps. I also noticed when dropping the stick down it beeps and sounds like the motors were gaining rpms rather than decreasing. I still need to do a lot of calibrating so I'm not too worried about it as of now.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Check through your channels that throttle isn't switch around and also check gps carefree altitude hold, that these are zero.

Boris

RBlax

Ok I found that the beeping was from the altitude control being selected. I turned it off and it seems to be acting fine. I did notice while on the ground the altitude control seemed to to react a little crazy. I have motors at high rpm's while others are at normal speed with stick in the down position.

RBlax

Ok, first flight was nerve racking as you can tell in the video. Everything appears to be holding up well! I need to research the altitude hold more because what I have read, does not read to clearly. I have noticed that I have to step away to re-approach at a later time to make sense of it all. Slowly it is coming together!!

Keep in mind this was my first flight. I noticed that maintaining altitude is tough and I need to work on hovering a lot. This really reminds me of flying helicopters with the exception you can not feel the flight environment leaving it ALL to eye and hand coordination. I basically did the same as I would to get ground effect in a real heli and it appeared to lift with easy. Having the yaw axis coupled with the power is a pain in the butt, and going to be a learning curve.

Password for video is "1234"

[video]www.vimeo.com/27400154[/video]

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
whats the password for the vid ? by the way the kopter on the ground and some motors spinning faster than others can be the FC trying to level out the kopter to what ever its calibrated to to be level. Nothing really to worry about. For me takeoffs are a lot smoother if i let this happen if the ground isnt really level. Let him spinn up a little more on some sides and than take off.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
For your first flight thats good, My first tries were much worse. Concerning the altitude hold did it not hold the altitude at all or was it just not exact and fluctuating ? you wrap in the altitude sensor ?

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I would take of the Photohigher if you are not using it . I made that mistake at the beginning and messed it up and there was no reason for it to be on.

RBlax

I would take of the Photohigher if you are not using it . I made that mistake at the beginning and messed it up and there was no reason for it to be on.

Good call man.

As far as this flight I turned off the altitude hold. Since I was getting those constant beeps from the buzzer. Im at work right now and spending my time reading further into "altitude hold". Found a post contributing to it.

Not sure if I'll be able to get around to working more on it today, but I will try. My plan is to hover practice until I have a real feel for it. Then I will incorporate small flight patterns to further develop my "eye and hand" coordination. To me this is no different than flying the real deal and I take it just as serious. ... Geez I just thought about it and this cost almost as much as a PPL for rotary wing :)

RBlax

You wrap in the altitude sensor ?

I did, however maybe I did it a cheaper way than I should have... I took the old foam that goes on headphone ear buds. I just covered it completely. The thought behind this is to keep the elements and wind from effecting it - correct? Maybe I need a good kicking.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I would second it with a (hope thats the write word) shrinking tube and shrink it in a little onto the foam and sensor. But what kind of dome are you using ? With the Air holes and lifted of the center plate or all the boards are fully covered and dome without holes is siting directly on the plate. In the second case the i dont think that the covering of the sensor would play such a big role an than something else might be wrong with the altitude hold.

RBlax

The dome is the one provided with the droidworx frame. No holes, one piece, clear plastic.

I will look at putting shrink on it, but this particular foam has a thin plastic liner bonding the foam. Maybe I need to poke a hole through it, I thought that it wasn't nessary since it was so thin.