Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

gringers

Preoccupied
OK so it sounds like the stuff from HK is direct from China and thus minus a dealer %? I'm fine with that I get what your saying regarding a domestic dealer i.e. if something goes wrong I have someone to fall back on domestically, support the local economy, etc. But I'm sure in some cases, depending on the components, it might be cheaper to order direct from China and that would be OK?

Coincidentally, the thread I read before this included this comment, made about the same time you posted this!

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...cean-crash-vid&p=150583&viewfull=1#post150583

As I ordered my replacement ESCs from HobbyKing, and they lost the shipment, I haven't rebuilt yet. It's been 5 months since they charged my card, and I have nothing, be weary, they say they have to 'investigate' the loss. So many problems ordering from these guys.

5 months since he paid and it's still got to be investigated :disturbed:

You pays your money, you take your chances! For $8-$12 extra I'd go local!

Accupro

Well I'm thinking I had seen references to HK in some of the earlier posts on this thread. Always learning something new, did not think to check on the feedback of HK. I do see very capable dealers in the US and I can see where sticking with one of them would be very helpful especially if it were more of a commercial endeavor for me.

Hi Bart,

In Vid 7 you mentioned that you were going to come back to the X,Y & Z axis measurements for the flight controller. Can anyone elaborate on what that means and the measurements I need to take for the entries? Do I use a ruler, or should I use something super precise like a micrometer? Also, I assume CG is the center of gravity, how is everyone determining theirs? Are you balancing your MultiRotor on something?

Almost there! Today, my radio was actually controlling the 450 (without props) it was a great feeling!

Thanks all, has been really fun so far.

Hi Bart,

In Vid 7 you mentioned that you were going to come back to the X,Y & Z axis measurements for the flight controller. Can anyone elaborate on what that means and the measurements I need to take for the entries? Do I use a ruler, or should I use something super precise like a micrometer? Also, I assume CG is the center of gravity, how is everyone determining theirs? Are you balancing your MultiRotor on something?

Almost there! Today, my radio was actually controlling the 450 (without props) it was a great feeling!

Thanks all, has been really fun so far.
I successfully used simply a ruler. Remember that the Z axis is a negative number and the others may be, depending. Look at the diagram in the Assistant software.

As far as balance, I just put my fingers under the top plate and see that left-right, fore-aft is close and move the battery as necessary. I have seen very elaborate methods in some other postings that I can't readily put my finger on but it seems to me that the big limiting factor is there are only a few places to put the "accessories" we load up on these things, so there is not much to shift.

Thanks Captain Justice. I'd imagine that most settings look something like: 6/3/-9. I'll get all scientific before I fly it. We just got a shart-ton of snow, so looks like I'll have some time to fiddle with stuff before I go flying.

SO PUMPED - the radio is actually communicating with the quad. Huge moment for me because I have an IQ of like 4. This build has forced me to read everything in sight over and over and really pay attention to the material in front of me. Great way to stay present, the time seems to fly by when I'm fussing with this stuff.

Have some questions on a few things before I ready for my maiden flight:

1. Flight controller measurement: How precise does this need to be? I'd imagine that it changes slightly every time you put the battery on anyway. I'd imagine it's not uber-precise, but want to make sure what dead-nuts accurate would do for me vs. a cm off (or two).

2. Battery Weight. My standard issue dji 450 has a 4s 5000mah battery. Seems huge. Should I also buy a super small battery? The quick start guide shows a 3s/2200 which looks like it's almost half the weight.

3. Props. use the smaller ones or the larger ones. I don't really care about flight time out of the gate, I'd rather have the quad as stable and predictable as possible.

4. Radio cheat sheet. Anyone use a cheat sheet reference on their radio? I'd like to hear what you clever mofos are doing in that regard.

5. Battery hold down: the small strap for the battery hold down seems a bit inadequate. I thought about adding a healthy bit of velcro to the lip0 and top plate. Think that will hold it down nice and snug. What do you guys think of that?

6. Feel like an idiot asking this but: What is remote gain? Is it the sensitivity of the sticks?

Guess that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions before I put my flight jacket and aviators on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks Captain Justice. I'd imagine that most settings look something like: 6/3/-9. I'll get all scientific before I fly it. We just got a shart-ton of snow, so looks like I'll have some time to fiddle with stuff before I go flying.

SO PUMPED - the radio is actually communicating with the quad. Huge moment for me because I have an IQ of like 4. This build has forced me to read everything in sight over and over and really pay attention to the material in front of me. Great way to stay present, the time seems to fly by when I'm fussing with this stuff.

Have some questions on a few things before I ready for my maiden flight:

1. Flight controller measurement: How precise does this need to be? I'd imagine that it changes slightly every time you put the battery on anyway. I'd imagine it's not uber-precise, but want to make sure what dead-nuts accurate would do for me vs. a cm off (or two).

2. Battery Weight. My standard issue dji 450 has a 4s 5000mah battery. Seems huge. Should I also buy a super small battery? The quick start guide shows a 3s/2200 which looks like it's almost half the weight.

3. Props. use the smaller ones or the larger ones. I don't really care about flight time out of the gate, I'd rather have the quad as stable and predictable as possible.

4. Radio cheat sheet. Anyone use a cheat sheet reference on their radio? I'd like to hear what you clever mofos are doing in that regard.

5. Battery hold down: the small strap for the battery hold down seems a bit inadequate. I thought about adding a healthy bit of velcro to the lip0 and top plate. Think that will hold it down nice and snug. What do you guys think of that?

6. Feel like an idiot asking this but: What is remote gain? Is it the sensitivity of the sticks?

Guess that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions before I put my flight jacket and aviators on.

1. if you're within a centimeter you're fine. you can always tweak things if the heli doesn't fly just right
2. if it's just the F450 and no other attachments then it should be fine.
3. try the 10" props first but if you're at 70 or 75% throttle and haven't broken ground yet then it might be too heavy but i doubt that that will happen.
4. what do you mean?
5 with that size battery an extra layer of velcro is probably a good idea, you have the red battery strap, right?
6 remote gain is when you use a radio channel to communicate with the NAZA so the gains can be tuned while you're flying, won't be necessary right now so don't worry about it.

go have fun and if everything isn't quite right then don't fly it.

Bart

4. Like a post it note showing what the switches do. Kinda dumb question, but I'm sure some have done this in a clever fashion...
5. Yes Sir -- I have the red strap, but it's kinda weenie.
6. hmmmm -- still don't know what it is :). What are you actually tuning when you tune them?

Bartman

4. Like a post it note showing what the switches do. Kinda dumb question, but I'm sure some have done this in a clever fashion...
5. Yes Sir -- I have the red strap, but it's kinda weenie.
6. hmmmm -- still don't know what it is :). What are you actually tuning when you tune them?

if you look at the Gains block in the Assistant software you can assign them to the X2 (?) port so that a slider on the radio can make adjustments during flight.

assign channel on radio to slider or knob
plug that channel into X2 port of NAZA
assign X2 port to gain setting in assistant

when you're flying, changing the position or the slider or knob will adjust the gain value and be effective as you're flying for real time tuning. not necessary for initial flights, useful for future tuning to really tweak your settings.

jbrumberg

Good Luck gomotomoto. :)

PS: I wrap my LiPo batteries with clear wrapping or duct tape before I attach the velcro tape. The duct tape beefs up the battery's original wrapping and all those stickers they stick on the batteries which can pull off the wrapping. It makes for a stronger bond woth the velcro tape adhesive backing.

Little windy here today. Looks like flight will be delayed. In the meantime, I'll just run through everything a few more times, maybe set up the voice files on the frsky. Pretty sweet how you can have the switches play a voice file when you actuate a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yodee

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum! I just want to say that this thread is amazing, and thanks for all of the work you all have put into it!! I came across this thread from a google search, and over a weekend read it word for word and chased many of the links that were posted. Needless to say I learned more in those few days than I have in all the other research I have done combined. I am very excited to begin my first build, everything is ordered and should be here within a week!!! I followed many of the suggestions you all have posted (I am building off the Dji F450 Frame) the only part I steered differently on is that I am going to try the Pixhawk FC instead of a NAZA.

Hopefully I can begin the build next week!! Then the challenge will be finding a place to fly. I live in Northern New Jersey (Essex County) and needless to say its pretty densely populated here.

Thanks for all of your help and I can’t wait to keep reading and going through the forum.

PS. Bartman you’re thread on LiPo batteries is awesome.

coreyperez

Yodee,

Welcome! You are starting right where I started. I now have 2 full multi-rotors and enough spare parts to build at least 1 more! Just a word of caution, the DJI seems to do REALLY well out of the box (with basic tuning). I'm not sure how well the Pixhawk will do (my KK board is STILL a lot of work...). Just don't get discouraged. If you are not buying a big-name flight controller, you may have more.... repairs to endure. Just don't give up! Sometimes saving a few dollars will cost quite a bit more in the long run.

Best of luck and be sure to document your build!

Gomotomoto:

GO PULL PITCH! My Naza does really well in wind! I don't know if I"d try and use it to FILM with,but it will fly just fine! As far as the "Cheat Sheet", I've only really seen people use a label maker and label (on the handle) which position = what function. But I get what you are saying. I still need to work out couse lock vs. home lock.

Corey

yodee

Thanks Coreyperez. I will let you all know how the build goes and also how the 3DR Pixhawk does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbrumberg

Welcome yodee. My wife was from Bontoon, NJ originally. There are still some pretty nice areas in northern NJ. Keep researching and feel free to join in with some of the other newbee builders and their threads here. We are all in this together. I think Corey is correct, even the the "easier to install and use" components like the KK flight control board are not so easy to install and use in the beginning for a newbee. Post freely and often.

First Flight under belt, started off rocky.

Finally felt it was time to fly the project. Took it to a local field and set it down. Throttled up gently. Quad tipped over.

kept trying to throttle it and could see it was just going to flip. Again and again and again. Was really bummed.

Friend of mine sees me and walks out onto the field (saw my truck) and without knowing a single thing about quads, see's there's something wrong. Motors were all turning the right way, everything set up and calibrated correctly. Having nothing to loose, i took my friends advice and went at it again. Think popped right off the ground & few AMAZING!

It was blowing close to 20 knots, but I was tucked in behind some trees and had just planned to hover a bit. Took off in manual & flipped it to GPS mode. I've seen flight videos, but I could not believe how the quad holds itself like that. Very cool. I could see the wind pounding on it & it fully took the abuse & managed to keep position. I felt the real 450 quad acted almost exactly how the simulator represented the gaui 330-x in Phoenix simulator (before they updated the software & now doesn't fly anything but manual mode, which i guess is good for practice.) I did not test the failsafe feature yet. Need a little bigger field and little more experience just in case I have to flip it out of failsafe and bring it home manually if anything happens to the GPS signal. Maybe in a dozen or so flights...

The 450 with the Naza V2 GPS is actually easier to fly than the simulator & so much easier than the toys i've been messing with (ladybird/proto estes). So all those things really helped. Money well spent.

Had a fully successful flight and was super fun. I didn't keep track of the time, but I'm pretty sure it was over 10mins. I kept checking the battery voltage with a battery medic and flew it til the cells were all near 3.7v. I also had a voltage alarm on the battery.

I read hundreds of pages and posts, manuals and youtube vids to get here and I missed a few newb tips that I think are obvious to some, but won't be to others:

1. Props: I thought all the props were the same. This was really stupid in retrospect and super obvious -- but I didn't read across the topic anywhere (missed it, or it's actually not there). To state the obvious, the props are not the same, they are marked per their rotation (duh). Make sure the ones marked with an "R" are the ones that spin clockwise.

2. Sticks: on takeoff, don't touch the elevator or the aileron. just the throttle. Even after I swapped the props to their correct locations, I felt the quad was gonna tip on takeoff. I didn't realize that I had developed a bad habit with the sim -- having some stick input for both elevator and aileron upon takeoff. Once I left my fingers off the stick completely, the quad just popped right up.

Anyway, a huge huge thank you to Bartman and the rest for all the help and support through the build. It would have taken months and months for me to do this without this. The process was so much nicer than buying a RTF and just heading out. I feel more confident now because I had to put it together -- it forced me to better understand the details that might otherwise go completely over my head or unnoticed.

On to the next build! 550 with a gimble/gopro/Voltage telemetry/FPV :)

Bartman

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum! I just want to say that this thread is amazing, and thanks for all of the work you all have put into it!! I came across this thread from a google search, and over a weekend read it word for word and chased many of the links that were posted. Needless to say I learned more in those few days than I have in all the other research I have done combined. I am very excited to begin my first build, everything is ordered and should be here within a week!!! I followed many of the suggestions you all have posted (I am building off the Dji F450 Frame) the only part I steered differently on is that I am going to try the Pixhawk FC instead of a NAZA.

Hopefully I can begin the build next week!! Then the challenge will be finding a place to fly. I live in Northern New Jersey (Essex County) and needless to say its pretty densely populated here.

Thanks for all of your help and I can’t wait to keep reading and going through the forum.

PS. Bartman you’re thread on LiPo batteries is awesome.

Thanks Yodee! Where in Essex County? I grew up in Nutley, NJ. Would have loved to have a multi with a camera when they did the demolition of the ITT tower

Bartman

First Flight under belt, started off rocky..................On to the next build! 550 with a gimble/gopro/Voltage telemetry/FPV :)

congrats on the successful first flights and thanks for the nod. thanks also for adding a few things that were overlooked up until now!

great stuff. who's next?