Hoverfly Futaba 8FG & HFP

jfro

Aerial Fun
My quad coaxial is coming along. Getting to the point where I'll be hooking everything up pretty soon, balancing props/motors etc....

Anyway, one of the remaining (I hope maybe the last) unknown/ new things I have to learn is the setting up/tuning of the Futaba 8FG with the HFP.

Haven't found a youtube video for dummies or web page/blog on the specifics of setting up the radio with the HFP.

If anyone can point me to a source of information for the 8FG/HFP combo, I'd be very grateful or if someone would like to give me a list of the basics I need to setup right from the get-go I'd be super grateful. So far I have my name in the Futaba and am ready to enter new model setup and I'm at a loss for what I should setup.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Is it possible to transfer setups from one radio to another. If so, anyone have a setup they'd like to send me then maybe a 15 minute phone call maybe explaining the setup?

Send me a pm. I'll help you out if I have the time when you are ready to set up the radio. I am assuming this is an X8 configuration? EIther way, I have settings in my 8FG for quad, hexa, Y6, X8 and Octo. One thing you want to be careful of is making sure that if you use a 3 way switch for AL or AH that you have the right mix so that the center point does not put your gains to "0". The 8FG lacks two position switches.

PaNt

Send me a pm. I'll help you out if I have the time when you are ready to set up the radio. I am assuming this is an X8 configuration? EIther way, I have settings in my 8FG for quad, hexa, Y6, X8 and Octo. One thing you want to be careful of is making sure that if you use a 3 way switch for AL or AH that you have the right mix so that the center point does not put your gains to "0". The 8FG lacks two position switches.
From hoberfly they told me that for Al the switch must be 2 position... For Ah there no problem..

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I'm using an 8FG and I have the AL and AH on 3 ways because they're more convenient for me. Down is 'off' and middle or up is 'on'. I messed a lot with this to get it right and finally got it. The nice thing too is that you can confirm it all on the Servo page to make sure all is doing as it should. I'll send my setting to you when you need them.

PaNt

I'm using an 8FG and I have the AL and AH on 3 ways because they're more convenient for me. Down is 'off' and middle or up is 'on'. I messed a lot with this to get it right and finally got it. The nice thing too is that you can confirm it all on the Servo page to make sure all is doing as it should. I'll send my setting to you when you need them.

So you have 2 position switch as the first 2 position of the triple switch are the same..! (thats a good idea and easy.. isnt it?? you did it bia subtrim..!)

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
You know... Not really sure how I did it. I'll revisit it to be sure but yes, basically I have a 3 position switch where the position closest to me of off, middle is on, and up is on. I think I did use the mix function. So towards me is pre-flight on all switches or 'off'. When I lift off, either middle or up is 'on' and it doesn't matter. Easy enough.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I deleted post cause I found answer in Manual. What a concept!

On another note, what a pain in the butt soldering deans connections to 8 gauge battery wires that come on the 4S batteries!

Last edited by a moderator:

I would go with something other than deans on your main power plug. Maybe ec5 or similar.

For 8fg you have to go into the mixing settings to get a three way switch to work like a two way switch without the dead point in the center.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I initially was going to go with the ec5 but changed it sounded like more peeps liked the deans and they were trouble free.

Guess I'll spend some more internet time looking at connectors this weekend and then having to order another/new para board for my charger.

jfro

Aerial Fun
About 2 different types of batteries to try, 2 each so I have 4 batteries and they all have 8 gauge wires. Not use to working with that big a wire. I did some soldering today and the EC5's were grate with a couple 12 guage wires, but were somewhat of a bear on the 8. Finally developed a bit of techinique but have 3 more to go. Bought a couple EC5's locally to get through the weekend, but 7.95 for a male/female was a bit much so ordered a bunch more on the internet, should be here wed. or thursday.

Honeydew list is cutting into my time a bit, but slowly making progress.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Esc's programed and checked my vibration on my motors. Changed my mind on soldering everything, so waiting for 50 2mm barrel connectors to come, hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm have spent some time with 8fg manual, hfp manual, and the 8fg itself.

Mucking my way through the setup of the 8ff, but I'm stuck on programing the switches and gains.

Would love some guidance starting with:
1. what switch do you guys suggest to use for channel 5?
2. How do you set that switch to be off when down, and on when on middle or up position, ie use 3 position swtich as 3?
3. Where do I go to set the -25% and +25% gear settings? I assume I set one and then change the switch to set the other or is it on one screen?

Sorry for the elementary questions. Just a tad overwhelmed.

jfro

Aerial Fun
HFP manual says to set the travel adjustment channel 5 gear (on the spectrum radio) to -25% 25%.

If I go into the end point on the 8fg, I get limit travel travel limit
135 100 100 135

I assume that the 2nd and 3th numbers need to be set. However I cannot go below 30.
Does that mean these aren't %'s. Maybe I go 30-25 = and set it for 55.

Total lost. Pissed away most of today trying to figure this out. HELP

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
Sorry for the delayed reply...been working a double and laying new floor for the wife-unit. Gotta keep them happy y'know....

You are correct. The two 100’s are what you adjust. I started mine at 40 and went from there. The manual is confusing. I had a multi that I thought need this low of a setting but it was too low... Start at 40 and go up or down 5 from there.

I have to work in an hour but I will take screen shots of my xmiter settings and post this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Webheadfred

Air Traffic Controller
I found this on another forum and this is how I figured it out... Thanks RCMan..

With the 8FG you can assign any value to any switch position.

Go to Link menu, Function menu and assign a function (like AUX1 or AUX2) to a channel number. Do not assign a switch (leave CTRL and TRIM blank)

Go to the Model Menu, Prog.Mix select an unused mixer.
On page 2 activate the mixed. Do NOT assign a switch at this time.
Master select H/W (hardware). This will take you to the control many to select the switch you want to use (SA for example).
Slave will be the function that you assigned to the channel number (Probably AUX1 or AUX2).
Go to page 1. Go to the bottom and change LINEAR to POINT. Points 1, 3, and 5 will be the three switch positions. Set the values that you want in each. You can just leave 2 and 4 at 0.
Go to the servo menu to verify the results.

The 8FG will do anything once you master the programming.

You could with a three way switch.... Set a gain for calm, and windy... Haven't tried that wet though....

I was just about to post these instructions. RCman put this together and it is absolutely crucial for safely using the 8fg with a HFP.

PaNt

HFP manual says to set the travel adjustment channel 5 gear (on the spectrum radio) to -25% 25%.

If I go into the end point on the 8fg, I get limit travel travel limit
135 100 100 135

I assume that the 2nd and 3th numbers need to be set. However I cannot go below 30.
Does that mean these aren't %'s. Maybe I go 30-25 = and set it for 55.

Total lost. Pissed away most of today trying to figure this out. HELP

For AH you might need gain below 30.. then you have to play with Subtrim to have this setting..!! Its easy you go to 30 on endpoint and then you start lowerin the subtrim till you see 0 on the gain setting on the PC..! After that you raise the endpoint to whatever gain you want :)

jfro

Aerial Fun
Bout ready for first flight, although we are in middle of snow storm here.

But I may have a problem, like I messed up.

I bought my props in pairs (left turn/ right turn). X8 config per HF is to have top motor going clock wise and bottom going counterclock wise. I assume that means I need 8 props that turn the same way.
If so, is clockwise right turn?

So my prop pairs, I have one pushing air down and one pushing air up with top turning clockwise and bottom turning counter......

Hope it's something I'm doing wrong as I'd least like to get this puppy in the air. Need a little gratification for all the long hours.

I'm guessing I could reverse the rotation on the bottom engines? Bad idea yes/no?

However, after checking everything my wiring is tubed and heat shrunk so reversing is not high on my list unless it doesn't make a difference and I continue to buy left turn/ right turn props?

HELP