Should I keep investing in 5.8ghz video?

Rehost

Ok so I tried repositioning the antenna to the too plate and no luck. Antenna up I still get static about 500 feet out. Seems to be one SPECIFIC area that causes it (a home) You can see the home (brown house) in my video. That's why I don't bother going further.

I think the antennas could be the issue. Or that house is radiating some 5.8ghz (wireless-n?)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=NRvkVPHnX9Y

kloner

Aerial DP
Wireless cable boxes use 5.8. Router/networks can turn on 5.8 to transmit. Portable phones like landline types use it

Are you saying you've only flown in one spot, ever? Might try another spot

Rehost

Yes that's what in saying hahaha

I'm a total noob this is my second time doing FPV. And 4th time flying hehehe

Rehost

Ok Kloner you convinced me. I will stick with 5.8 and get the circular antenna and eventually upgrade to a tracker. Money that won't go to waste if ever I want to change system. I will also throw on a spironet antenna like you suggested on the rig.

Very ballsy flying BTW, nice place to go duck hunting :)

Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
That is honker heaven, it sits across from Cibola Az, last major fed refuge before the birds make it to Mexico and are on there own from there

Benchmark

This is a 2km video i made on 5.8 ghz video. I made sure all components are well spaced out on the frame. Even though this video is with a Diversity receiver i could go 1.5 km easily with the normal predator V2 goggles too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rehost

There is a big difference in image quality from 2.4 to 5.8, or is that the compression?

I can't believe how clear your video is. You definitely have a winning setup. I'd personally crap my pants flying that far away! Love the OSD, I ordered the RVOSD and hoping to get the same results :)

I missed duck hunting this year with the new baby :(. Out of all the hunting that's the one I love most, tried deer hunting but unless I have a good spot, I fall asleep in my cache Hahahaha.

kloner

Aerial DP
Mine is all live feed, on my 5.8 vid was a hero2 live feed. My 2.4 vid is looking through sc2000 Pz 0420. That planes been 8 miles out and 6k up Kinda the draw to something that cruises 60 mph and runs that for a half hour.

My favorite is sc2000 Pz 0513 in 2.8-3.6mm. Looks like this

http://youtu.be/XvsCvdFvJec

Think that ones 3.6. The lens gets crusty from the wave spray

Rehost

Ya I took your advice. Shipping seems to be slow on everything lately everyone's blaming it on CNY. Can't wait.

Rehost

Hi Benchmark! Can you post a picture of your rig? Always nice to get ideas on setups. Awesome video!

Thanks
Dan

JG-rn

005%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

I soldered the ppm and power wires to the pcb inside ezuhf, drilled a hole, placed a grommet then ran the wires behind ezuhf to my futaba ppm output. Had to disconnect the power from the 8j since its only 5v and ran an external lipo to the ezuhf

On my tripod it has one lipo powering everything. 3s on both

Didn't realize I was going to have to cut the 8J handle. Guess I'll use the dremmel.

Would like to rig something up so I don't have to use a tripod for the lawmate and lipo. I'm not sure if I can tuck it into the straps of the fatsharks....or even if that's a good idea to have it that close to my head (thinking radiation). I have a tripod so its not that big of a deal but just like to be more mobile.

Thought I'd start out with two CW SPWs since it looks like I can get a good 3 mile range in any direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
It only needed half of it cut, front half. You could put it on with Velcro and let it hang weird too, I just wanted it permanent and solid. Got 7 FPV models all on the ezuhf. Love that setup. That whole radio is lighter than my bone stock jr 11x. Smaller, more comfortable. Way more of a connected feeling

kloner

Aerial DP
Doesn't trappy sell a vtx that fits the goggles and gets the lawmate channels? Thought he did, cheap

JG-rn

Doesn't trappy sell a vtx that fits the goggles and gets the lawmate channels? Thought he did, cheap

Yeah but it only works with the dominators. I have the attitudes.

I've actually been looking at trying to upgrade those as well. The cinemizer oleds look interesting however I saw a crappy review of them on cnet that basically said they sucked. Perhaps if they compared them to FS's their review would have been a bit more positive, I dunno. The sony hmz-t2's look cool as well, but I think for field use you need some type of converter.

Rehost

Hi Kloner,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I went with your suggestions and the 5.8 crosshair makes a HUGE difference. I have it setup on my Dominators for now and try to roughly track position with my head until I get a diversity and tracker.

Went out 1500 feet in any direction and never lost signal, not even a blip. I'm blown away.

Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
rock on...... the crosshairs really brighten up 5.8 signal. you should be good further than your radio signal will reach... i've been a 6800 feet with em back when i ran 5.8 and it never changed....... seems like if you get around the wrong cell phone though that 5.8 will get these white interference looking blasts..... never figured out how to clean that up, but out away from people and stuff it's a decent system. Wireless cable boxes use 5.8 on the same channels as the fat shark uses so if your in an apartment or condo your signal can get hit too

have fun

Rehost

Well I think all bands have their issues. But 5.8 has potential, especially where I fly (farm land). It's great, glad I went that route.

I also took your suggestion and got the Pixim 0513. Still working on setting that up since I get a weird bloom on the bright white snow that washes away any detail. I don't care what people say, even though the Dominators aren't HD, images from FPVing with the GoPro were much clearer.

Any tips on setting up the Pixim now? :)

Dan