Zenmuse Z15 One Pilot Set Up with Futuba

Guys

Need a bit of direction before I reconfigure my set up please. I have built a Vulcan Y6 which has turned out well with the WKM and a new Futuba 14SG and R7008SB set up with Sbus2. Certainly as an inexperienced guy to successfully put all that lot together, including tweaking the gains, programming the failsafe I was very pleased with myself!!

Anyway I have just purchased a Zenmuse Gh4hd and I am trying to work out the best set up for a single operator. The instructions for a 1 pilot set up are not very comprehensive and my knowledge is insufficient to be sure of the best way to proceed. The example set up in the DJI manual shows a 14 channel set up. I could easily do this with the R6014HS receiver that I have taken off my old machine which I used with a T8FGsuper.

To be honest I would quite like to keep the SBus set up with the R7008 because I've done it now, it is easy and also very neat and want to know how best to achieve the 1 pilot set up.

As I see possibly that I have three options:

1. Change the existing R7008SB to mode D and use Channels 9-16 for the Zenmuse or
2. I actually have another R7008SB which I could link to the same T14SG and use that for the Zenmuse (possibly Mode C). I think I can do that with the 14SG.
3. Just rebuild and use the R6014HS. (my least preferred option!)

I think sometimes writing down all this stuff, some might assume I certain level of knowledge. I would say I'm still on the steep bit of the learning curve and your help is always appreciated.

Importantly, if all of the options would work, I am not against Option 2, even though I am using an additional R7008, this would enable me to go to a two pilot operation in the future.

I think what I am looking for is the most straightforward solution for now.

Thanks Steve

Fink

Hi Steve,

As an S1000 pilot with dual 14SGs and a Zenmuse Z15...I can honestly say that I would not recommend doing this. I debated this for a very long time and after doing some testing with even operating both transmitters on a stand in front of me - holding one for command/control, then setting it down when in position and picking up the sensor transmitter - I decided it just wasn't worth the $10,000 I had flying in the air. The only way I could see it working for me, at least, is with a GCS and preplanned missions so it hovers where you need it to be so you can use a second transmitter to take pictures/video before it moves on to the next waypoint.

Just my $.02!

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Hi Fink

Thanks for your reply. You have misunderstood me. I definitely don't want to operate two transmitters, as you rightly say that would be crazy. No I have a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D and GoPro 3+. That thing is a one man operation and brilliant. I'm looking for the same but with a GH4. No retracts, no clever acrobatics, just some very simple video moves. Sorry.

Fink

Hi Fink

Thanks for your reply. You have misunderstood me. I definitely don't want to operate two transmitters, as you rightly say that would be crazy. No I have a Phantom 2 with a H3-3D and GoPro 3+. That thing is a one man operation and brilliant. I'm looking for the same but with a GH4. No retracts, no clever acrobatics, just some very simple video moves. Sorry.

Are you thinking about having a switch on your Futaba that allows you to toggle between command/control and Zenmuse controls?

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Are you thinking about having a switch on your Futaba that allows you to toggle between command/control and Zenmuse controls?

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

No just Tilt, really just like the Z15 H3-3D. So in orientation lock I think it is on the Z15 - Gh4. You are thinking I'm trying to do something far more complex!!!

Ronan

I have my 3 axis gimbal setup the same way as my H3-3D. I have a slider switch to control the tilt. For the pan, i simply move my hex around.

1 man operation, which is exactly what i need when doing inspections.

If i were to go shoot movies, i would use my other setup, with 2 remotes + someone in the area that is familiar with the controls.

[MENTION=14589]Ronan[/MENTION] thanks, that is exactly what I want to do. Just need some advice on the R7008SB or R6014HS etc etc if there is any out there.

Fink

I have my 3 axis gimbal setup the same way as my H3-3D. I have a slider switch to control the tilt. For the pan, i simply move my hex around.

1 man operation, which is exactly what i need when doing inspections.

If i were to go shoot movies, i would use my other setup, with 2 remotes + someone in the area that is familiar with the controls.

Ronan,

Are you able to toggle between those two setups on the same airframe, or would you have to land, switch out some receivers and such and get back in the air?

Sorry for the minor hijack, OP. :D

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

Ronan

Ronan,

Are you able to toggle between those two setups on the same airframe, or would you have to land, switch out some receivers and such and get back in the air?

Sorry for the minor hijack, OP. :D

Fink
i-LgFpTrs-M.gif

I NEVER fiddle with my remote while my bird is in the air. I always bring it down and then switch profile to my 2 remote setup. In this particular case, i also have to change some plugs around, takes maybe 5 minutes in total.

Ok decided to go the two R7008SB route but set up one man, primarily for ease of transportation. No wires in between!

I don't think the 1 Pilot guidance in the manual is helpful at all (see below), i.e. suggesting channels 1-8 for the Zenmuse when not all that lot is needed for a one man operation. Wrongly I started down that route thinking that I could get away with the remaining six channels on my T14SG I thought I had available for the WKM. Trouble is I couldn't get the digital channels DG1 and DG2 working. Now realise I need to go down the SBD Decoder Hub route with SBus and an SBC which I have just ordered. But anyway I have turned the design on its head and will use 1-7 for the WKM probably using SBus1 and 9-14 on the second receiver for the Zenmuse. All good fun and more dosh, see how we get on!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 400
Last edited by a moderator:

apsussex

Ok decided to go the two R7008SB route but set up one man, primarily for ease of transportation. No wires in between!

I don't think the 1 Pilot guidance in the manual is helpful at all (see below), i.e. suggesting channels 1-8 for the Zenmuse when not all that lot is needed for a one man operation. Wrongly I started down that route thinking that I could get away with the remaining six channels on my T14SG I thought I had available for the WKM. Trouble is I couldn't get the digital channels DG1 and DG2 working. Now realise I need to go down the SBD Decoder Hub route with SBus and an SBC which I have just ordered. But anyway I have turned the design on its head and will use 1-7 for the WKM probably using SBus1 and 9-14 on the second receiver for the Zenmuse. All good fun and more dosh, see how we get on!!!

How did you get on with this Steve? Im looking to do something similar, all I need is tilt and shutter control for now really, using just one R7008SB receiver in Mode D, Sbus for the flight controls to the Wookong, then whatever channels left directly wired to the Z15.

[MENTION=16778]apsussex[/MENTION] your reply is timely I am just about to try. All bits and pieces have arrived to undertake the task so I will let you know.

apsussex

@apsussex your reply is timely I am just about to try. All bits and pieces have arrived to undertake the task so I will let you know.

Steve with a bit more time to set it up tonight, I`ve got it working with one receiver and its working perfectly using the sliders on the back of the 14SG for tilt and even pan, very happy. Mode D works very well. Just need to assign the shutter and mode switch and I`m now sorted, although it is really 12channels made available this way, perfect for my needs, unless of course retracts are not part of the Sbus channels then Ill have to fly in FPV mode which isnt really a big deal.

Kind Regards
Sam

Hi Sam
Pleased you got all working. I might be coming your way for advice if I get a problem. I wanted to go two receivers (7008's) so that I could easily separate the MR from the landing gear, maybe a bit over the top, but also I have a set up that I could go 2 Pilot in the future. I am not an expert at this and learning my way, but I understand to get the 13th and 14th channels working, the digital channels, you need the SBD decoder etc.

apsussex

Hi Sam
Pleased you got all working. I might be coming your way for advice if I get a problem. I wanted to go two receivers (7008's) so that I could easily separate the MR from the landing gear, maybe a bit over the top, but also I have a set up that I could go 2 Pilot in the future. I am not an expert at this and learning my way, but I understand to get the 13th and 14th channels working, the digital channels, you need the SBD decoder etc.

Hi Steve, OK I take back my last post, its NEARLY perfect :). Shutter, Pan, Tilt and Mode all assigned direct from the Z15 and working well on the controller, but I forgot about the retracts which I wanted on Channel 8, but I am confused how to link it up as this is part of Sbus. How are you linking up your landing gear? I must be missing something, but setting up landing gear with WKM is not very clear at all in the manual.

I think your dual receiver is a good move to future proof a 2 pilot setup, how are you getting on with this setup? I may look into the decoder for the 13th and 14th channels, not sure what to use with them yet, but could possibly be useful for roll in case of horizon issues on the gimbal.

Hi Sam

Here is a build sketch someone did online that I downloaded and kept for reference. Can't find the original post but hopefully it might help you. Just too busy to progress mine just now but maybe able to this weekend.

attachment.php

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 515

apsussex

Hi Steve,

That is very interesting thank you for uploading, I think the sketch was resized on upload, so its tricky to read the text but I am a little confused on using channel 8, as being in Mode D on the Futaba 7008SB, channels 9-12 are linked to the Z15 so that should free up the first 8 channels, but WKM SBUS uses 1-7 which leaves channel 8 in limbo. For me its not the end of the world not being able to use the retracts at this stage, but it should really be easy to configure using the pilot setup I require (or so I thought)

If I am unable to find out how to use channel 8 for the retracts I will purchase a decoder and make use of the 2 digital channels.

cappy10

I’m also having some trouble setting up a 1 pilot operation with my A2 and S900. The A2 seems to only have 12 channels. I am using my SUPER t8fg linked to the A2 and I ran out of channels. All I need is pan, Mode,shutter and record(HDMI).
I see there is an adapter for the A2, and i’m thinking I’m going to need that.?
I also have the R6014HS and a R6208SB receiver however the 6014 won’t work with the A2 without the adapter I believe. Can someone help me please.

Thanks