zenmuse HD-3D gopro questions

RobBurn

I posted this in general questions and since it's DJI equipment i'll post it up here.

I've read and watched some video and see the hero4 fits and works with hd-3d using the usb connector. Okay I also read it's about 14 grams heavier. I've not read anything about how it really works with the gimbal as far as balance, am I to assume the weight gain from the 3+ to 4 is proportional? I also would like to put a lens protector on it and I see it done on the hero3 but I'm wondering on the 4 that weighs more if it would be just to much weight for the gimbal motors. I did see bhphoto advertise the zenmuse works with hero4 but I've not seen anything from DJI

I read the dbl processor speed and 4k/30 is the main gains. Would the dbl processor and I assume the sensor is better to achieve the 4k/30? that even the 1080p/60 would be better video? If you had to buy a new gopro today would you drop the $349 for the 3+ black or the $500 for the hero4 black?

I did a stupid move which I won't go into detail but I scratched my hero3+ black lens. Luckily I had the adh from best buy so I got all my dollars minus the prorated adh which after 5 months costs me $20 bucks... So I'm trying to decide on another 3 or go with the 4. I tell you what I learned if you have no insurance and it's not a defect your on your own gopro does not offer repairs for user error even if you want to pay for it, no repairs period or parts for sale to repair

Thanks for any feedback

Rob

sochin33

I can't answer everything, but I do have a H4 black and a Zen h3-3D. I had to fix two dimes to the left side of the H3-3D to balance the H4. Aside from a slight but constant horizon tilt, everything has been working fine. Before I fixed the dimes, I had bad horizon tilt. Tahoe Ed does not recommend the dimes, but it helped my issues.
4K/30 is great but is only an option for wide/super-wide. It is great because you can put the 4K footage into a 1080p post project and zoom, tilt, stabilize, etc without sacrificing any resolution. 2.7K/48 works with Medium and also offers the post processing advantages in a 1080p project.
Hope this helps.
i would buy the H4 over the H3+ any day!

RobBurn

I can't answer everything, but I do have a H4 black and a Zen h3-3D. I had to fix two dimes to the left side of the H3-3D to balance the H4. Aside from a slight but constant horizon tilt, everything has been working fine. Before I fixed the dimes, I had bad horizon tilt. Tahoe Ed does not recommend the dimes, but it helped my issues.
4K/30 is great but is only an option for wide/super-wide. It is great because you can put the 4K footage into a 1080p post project and zoom, tilt, stabilize, etc without sacrificing any resolution. 2.7K/48 works with Medium and also offers the post processing advantages in a 1080p project.
Hope this helps.
i would buy the H4 over the H3+ any day!

So when it's setting at idle you do not notice the gimbal motor's making any noise? where you using a hero3 before and had the horizontal tilt? or was it ok and you got this tilt with the hero4?

thanks for your feedback.

sochin33

So when it's setting at idle you do not notice the gimbal motor's making any noise? where you using a hero3 before and had the horizontal tilt? or was it ok and you got this tilt with the hero4?

thanks for your feedback.

Sure !
I dont notice any buzzing or noise at idle and I was using the H3 before and it did have a small horizontal tilt as well. At some point I'm going to try shiming the gimbal mount a bit to correct the tilt. Since I shoot either 4K or 2.7K, I can rotate and scale up a bit to correct the tilt before outputting to 1080p.