Z15 + GH2: video feed stopped working - HELP!

DJI S800 with Z15 gimbal and GH2 camera (HBR hack); Immersion 5.8 Tx with Rx on Ground Station. 10" Monitor PAL. ... and I'm a relative newbie to this stuff.

My video feed from the GH2, through the Z15, to the iOSD has suddenly stopped working and is driving me nuts.

Went to fly. Struggled to get a signal on ground station monitor but then had a great picture with iOSD overlay for a about 60secs whilst on the ground, but then cut out leaving just the iOSD data overlay. Pilot continued to take-off, picture came back again for about 60 secs, but has now gone for good, leaving just the iOSD overlay transmitted to the ground monitor.

I've checked the camera off the gimbal and it feeds OK into a bog-standard HDMI monitor/TV and is recording OK to the SD card. As the iOSD overlay is being Tx'd and Rx'd OK, I presume that the basic transmission set-up is working, but something between the camera and the iOSD is not. Have checked all connections but nothing obvious.

I personally had not set up the camera, but in my exploration of it at the weekend re-selected "HBR" in "Creative Movie" mode which it seemed already to be in. Would that have wiped any other settings underneath? ...but the thing was working OK for 60secs twice afterwards. The only other thing is that the S800 had a bit of a rough landing last week. Thought we'd got away with it...

Is it duff wiring/connectors or even the HDMI Module on the Z15?

Anybody got any words of wisdom? Much appreciated.

Cosmic

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Often this is the HDMI lead from the camera to the zenmuse. Try tapping/hitting the HDMI lead and see if it comes back on or replace the lead.

Many thanks Ben, I was hoping you would respond. Quite re-assuring in a way then as I am not doing anything stupid.

OK, new HDMI cable and HDMI board on the way from the USA, but in the meantime where is my big hammer to give it a little knock... :tennis:

fdproductions

FD Productions
check your antenna, its likely just time for you to replace your antenna this time make sure you really screw it on tight...

DJI S800 with Z15 gimbal and GH2 camera (HBR hack); Immersion 5.8 Tx with Rx on Ground Station. 10" Monitor PAL. ... and I'm a relative newbie to this stuff.

My video feed from the GH2, through the Z15, to the iOSD has suddenly stopped working and is driving me nuts.

Went to fly. Struggled to get a signal on ground station monitor but then had a great picture with iOSD overlay for a about 60secs whilst on the ground, but then cut out leaving just the iOSD data overlay. Pilot continued to take-off, picture came back again for about 60 secs, but has now gone for good, leaving just the iOSD overlay transmitted to the ground monitor.

I've checked the camera off the gimbal and it feeds OK into a bog-standard HDMI monitor/TV and is recording OK to the SD card. As the iOSD overlay is being Tx'd and Rx'd OK, I presume that the basic transmission set-up is working, but something between the camera and the iOSD is not. Have checked all connections but nothing obvious.

I personally had not set up the camera, but in my exploration of it at the weekend re-selected "HBR" in "Creative Movie" mode which it seemed already to be in. Would that have wiped any other settings underneath? ...but the thing was working OK for 60secs twice afterwards. The only other thing is that the S800 had a bit of a rough landing last week. Thought we'd got away with it...

Is it duff wiring/connectors or even the HDMI Module on the Z15?

Anybody got any words of wisdom? Much appreciated.

Cosmic

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey, never rule out doing something stupid, we all do it. Do re-check your camera settings just in case, especially the HDMI-out settings.

I've had two HDMI leads fail over the past year or so. They went very slowly and at first had intermittent failures on start-up, a little tap would get them working.

Benjamin Kenobi

check your antenna, its likely just time for you to replace your antenna this time make sure you really screw it on tight...

It's not his antenna mate. If you can see the iOSD overlay then the video transmission is working but the camera end is not. :nevreness:

...thanks fdproductions and Ben.

Yep checked arid and as Ben says I'm getting the iOSD overlay broadcast fine.

I'm not too familiar with the GH2 and see that it has the HBR hack added. As the camera was set up before with another Op and was working fine, I was just getting myself aware of the settings and where they live in the menus. In my mind I want to go for PAL at 1080p at a reasonable frame rate to avoid judder as I assume up in the air everything is moving in shot regardless, so was hoping for not just 25fps, but say 50 or even 100fps. Of course I'm trying to keep everything exposed correctly and in focus, and trying to get everything shot neutral with as much tone captured prior to any ingest/edit/conform stuff.

Given that I may have wiped any underlying HDMI OUT settings, any advice about what I should be looking for and where would be much appreciated?

Also any advice in general about best settings for the GH2, although a tad academic until the bloomin' thing connects properly through the Z15.

Cheers

Benjamin Kenobi

Oh, and if you have the HDMI cable plugged into the GH2 you will only be able to film in 1080 at 25fps. I know, sucks!

...oh bother! SO it is true then: if the HDMI cable is plugged in the GH2 will only record 25fps to the card. Had read that somewhere recently.

Silly question then, and just to clarify my rushed previous post, does it then matter/make any difference when video recording what shutter speed setting (1/25, 1/50, 1/100)to what is recorded on the card?

Second silly question: As to the HDMI output settings I thought the Z15/GH2 combination only likes 1080i? With the GH2 so does the HBR (1080p 25fps) work OK with that, or what comes out of the camera via HDMI is independent of what actually gets recorded on the SD card?

SO sorry for my dumbness in this.

...oh and in addition, if I can control the HDMI output independently from what is recorded, where is the best place in the menu system to set the 720p for the HDMI?

That must sound really dumb but I am a newbie.

CHeers

Benjamin Kenobi

Yeah, HDMI out doesn't affect the recording mode. Give 720P a try and see if your video comes back on.

Your shutter speed should be in multiples of twice the frame rate. 25fps means a shutter speed of 50 as a minimum. 100 and 200 also work. I'm a 200 man myself for everything except very low light conditions.

Cool?

Thank you so much Ben. You are a gentleman sir! Your words of wisdom have helped me consolidate in my own mind at least various techy stuff whirring around in my frazzled brain after the last 3-months of intensive effort to get an aerial system technically up and working reliably.

The S800 is on his back upsidedown on the bench in the hangar as I speak having a new undercart leg fitted. When I've done that Il'll flip him over and start again on the HDMI and camera stuff. I'll post the result for anyone who may be interested.

Cheers

...well hit me in the face with a juicy big pie - IT'S WORKING!

The big hit with a hammer did not do it, but changing the HDMI OUT from 1080i to 720p did.

Given that it was previously working I don't understand why the Z15 gimbal HDMI module suddenly will work with 720p? Oh well, life is too short. At least I have a spare HDMI cable and HDMI board coming from USA next week. Silly question: with that new board only work with NTSC or is it transparent as far as PAL or NTSC goes?

BIG thanks and respect to OBenKen for the advice:tennis:

...bit of an update...

Of course when I went out to try a test flight the bloomin' thing did not send the video feed again, then it did, then it didn't then it did. Ah ha! Problem isolated: IT WAS THE Z15's HDMI cable that was causing the problem in the first place. Oh well the new one should be with me shortly. Guess I better order another one as well for spare as this does seem to be the Z15's weak spot.

Many thanks again Ben.